PDA

View Full Version : Sunday hunt gets a WW2 silver & gold sweetheart pin (word heavy)

Full Metal Digger
04-07-2014, 06:25 PM
Hey diggers,

Sunday I decided to head about an hour north of here to hunt an old school grounds. I told Tony Two-Cent about it so he could check it out on Google Earth. He agreed the site looked very promising. I got there bright and early and almost immediately got a 10-35 signal at 9 inches deep. Sounds like an Indian head penny to me I thought. I cut my plug and dug down into the very soft soil and popped out a ZINC FREAKING PENNY! 9 inches deep! A few feet away I got a solid 10-45 at 10 inches deep and out pops a beautiful memorial penny... Next I dug a clad dime at 10 inches. This is crazy I thought. I spent 1 hour there and could not find anything older than 1970s. This was not fill dirt either. Just nice black soil. I decided it was Indiana dirt! Tony and I know all about that kind of dirt. Super soft and everything sinks too deep. Off to another site.

I was driving and noticed a small town on my GPS. Maybe one square mile in size and all the houses seemed 1890s to 1920s. As I was driving around looking to see if they had a park I noticed the street sign said "School Street." A-ha, a possible old school! I drove all 5 blocks of School Street but no school. However, at one end was a big field with an old dilapidated baseball backstop. Then I noticed the old broken up sidewalks that led out into the middle of the field. BINGO! I spent 3 hours there and of course it was apparent I wasn't the first metal detector there. A few bits of modern clad and only a couple wheat cents. Lots of nickels though! I found several deep nickels, 3 of which were toasted buffalo nickels. As I worked around an old walnut tree I got a distinct 12-38 down about 8 to 9 inches. I was hesitant but decided to dig it anyway. Out came a little silver pin with something dangling from it. I wiped the dirt off and realized I had found a WW2 sweetheart pin! The back is marked Sterling + 1/20 10K. By now it was 4:30 so I packed up and headed home. I was disappointed to not find any silver coins but a silver & gold piece of jewelry will do any day! Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

p.s. While I was hunting the park a guy kept coming out of his house and asking if I had found anything. I showed him the buffs and 6 wheaties and mentioned I had not found any silver coins. 4 times he came out to see how I was doing! (yes 4) On the 4th time he admitted he had a Whites MD and had hunted the park for years. He didn't think anything was left to be found. He asked what MD I had and I showed him my e-trac and some of the features it had.

Otis Campbell
04-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Nice finds, might have a convert soon! I love it when folks say"it's hunted out" I love a challenge!

Fire Fighter 43
04-07-2014, 06:54 PM
Congrats on some nice digs, the pin is a great find, WTG.

del
04-07-2014, 07:17 PM
congrats on the buffaloes Dave , the old pin is a cool find :thumbsup02:

coinnut
04-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Nice pin, never seen one of those before. 3 Buffalos are not bad either. Love the design of them coins way better than the Jefferson. Hunted hard?...yes, hunted out? No Way :lol: Wonder how much silver he found there.

Digger Don
04-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Congrats on the buffalos. Toasted or not, they are still nice finds.

aloldstuff
04-08-2014, 08:35 AM
At least after your long drive you salvaged the day. Very cool pin and a buff is a buff, toasted or not. :congrats:

Tony Two-Cent
04-08-2014, 10:06 AM
Very cool WWII Sweetheart pin, Dave! I've never seen one like it. It's in great shape too! :thumbsup02:

Congrats on the three Buffalo Nickels too. I've never seen nickels turn green like that. Must be something different about that soil.

PL8MAN
04-08-2014, 05:49 PM
Sweet finds !

Timewarpdigger
04-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Congrats for the finds and like the buffs. Safe & HH

NJJOSH
04-09-2014, 08:13 PM
Nice finds the pin is very cool its the first one I've ever seen. Congrats

MangoAve
04-10-2014, 06:48 AM
I don't think I have had 4 times at once place, but almost every place I go where there is someone around they tend to ask if I found anything. Lol. Some time I should fool with them and say I found a buried pirate treasure, but I have to return 'cuz I need a truck and some one to help carry the chest.

giant056
04-10-2014, 07:28 AM
Fantastic bunch of finds you got there :thumbsup02:

.................... :congrats:

Otis Campbell
04-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Great finds & that soil sure ate up the coins! Very nice pin too!