PDA

View Full Version : Incredible yard! 24 wheat cents/7 silvers/1 coin ring!!!

Full Metal Digger
04-08-2014, 10:39 PM
Hey diggers,
I had some time after work so I did some door knocking. First house I went to gave me the okay. The house looks to be about 100 years old on a large corner lot. Coins every couple of feet! It's as if someone kept throwing coins in the yard for years and it looks like they did it during the 1950s and 1960s! I quit digging wheat cents because they were so frequent and I was trying to cherry pick while the daylight lasted. I hunted almost 3 hours. I found 62 coins total! 24 wheaties, 7 silvers, and several nickels from the late 1940s & 1950s. Two of the dimes have been hit by a lawnmower. I probably covered about of fourth of her yard. I'm going back on Saturday. The coin ring appears to be made from a standing liberty quarter. I can make out "UARTE." Tell me what kind of quarter you think it is. Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

laffy10316
04-09-2014, 12:58 AM
I would say so, nice finds. Congrats!!!

giant056
04-09-2014, 02:58 AM
Wow what and incredible day you had hunting, big congrats on all them silvers and wheats :thumbsup02:

.................................................. ... :congrats:

MangoAve
04-09-2014, 07:00 AM
Congrats. I was about to ask what you did to those two dimes. Frustruated digging and hit them with the shovel? lol. I have not seen a coin ring thus far. The only thing I can tell that was distinquishable was one of the series of quarters had a dot between quarter dollar, but the three versions before the state quarters all said "quarter dollar" and all roughly the same part of the coin. Only the liberty had the dot.

aloldstuff
04-09-2014, 07:08 AM
Nice hunting Daddydigger. You know its a good site when you quit digging wheat's. Definitely a coin ring but I can't confirm which quarter. Hope Saturdays hunt is as productive and look for that piece of the rosie.

Tony Two-Cent
04-09-2014, 07:22 AM
Incredible hunt, Dave! Wow, look at all that silver! I can't wait to see what else you find in that yard when you have more time to hunt it thoroughly.

The coin ring is a fantastic find. I've never found one. After studying images online, I'm kind of leaning towards Washington Quarter.

Man, what a fun site to hunt that must be! Congrats! :thumbsup02:

Lodge Scent
04-09-2014, 07:23 AM
Wow! Heck of a hunt!

coinnut
04-09-2014, 07:32 AM
That yard is going to be fun for a while. After you get all them surface targets out of the way, I wonder what is hiding deeper down. That must have been a fun hunt for sure. As for he coin ring, I think it's a Washington quarter. The lettering on a Washington are fatter than on a Standing Liberty. Plus the right "leg" of the R bows inward "(" on the SLQ and not outward ")" like the GW.

RobW
04-09-2014, 07:37 AM
Awesome! However....I'd dig those wheat sounds...I have found MANY times in the past that they end up being silver dimes. But I too would probably cherry pick first then go back over again and "clean up":thumbsup01:

Ronandari
04-09-2014, 07:43 AM
That sounds like a "Dream Yard". Ill bet you cant wait to get back. :thumbsup02:

Otis Campbell
04-09-2014, 08:08 AM
Nice digging Daddy, you got the spot! Very nice!

KCFindIt
04-09-2014, 08:43 AM
I'm curious, did the homeowner see what you found, or were they even curious at all? Did they hang out with you while you were digging?

MangoAve
04-09-2014, 08:45 AM
That yard is going to be fun for a while. After you get all them surface targets out of the way, I wonder what is hiding deeper down. That must have been a fun hunt for sure. As for he coin ring, I think it's a Washington quarter. The lettering on a Washington are fatter than on a Standing Liberty. Plus the right "leg" of the R bows inward "(" on the SLQ and not outward ")" like the GW.

I was leaning toward the washington as well, however you had the good call on the 'R'. I never noticed it because I haven't seen many SQL. ....and I should have just pulled up the larger pic of the SQL. Figuring the age or property and age of coins, I ruled out the barber. I figured the person used a newer coin versus an older coin. As in hypothetically it was made in the 60's from a penny, why would you use the wheat instead of the memorial given they are both 'full' copper? (They said clad isn't a good choice for making those rings)

BTW, I just noticed your 'signature', Daddy. That's hilarious.

Digger Don
04-09-2014, 09:10 AM
WOW, what an incredible day you had. That sounds like everyone's dream yard. And to think you're going back Saturday.
Congrats on your finds and good luck on your next hunt there.

freemindstuck
04-09-2014, 09:57 AM
Congrats! Looks like you had a great hunt! :perfect10:

Full Metal Digger
04-09-2014, 04:16 PM
I'm curious, did the homeowner see what you found, or were they even curious at all? Did they hang out with you while you were digging?

The homeowner is widowed and the house was her husband's childhood home. His family bought the house around 1945 even though it was rumored to be haunted. He and his 6 brothers grew up there and he inherited the house, married her and they raised their children there. I showed her everything I found and she has no problem letting me keep the coins. I did however offer to pay her half the value of the silver coins so we agreed on $1 per dime and $2.50 per quarter. Not a bad deal in my book!

Full Metal Digger
04-09-2014, 04:21 PM

I agree, it's a Washington! Thanks for helping me out with the ID. Dave.

del
04-09-2014, 05:32 PM
very nice silver count in that yard Dave , keep it up and Tony's numbered of times being jealous of you will only increase :lol: well done

Timewarpdigger
04-09-2014, 06:29 PM
Great hunt and congrats!! Awesome ring. Safe & HH

CTTodd
04-09-2014, 07:04 PM
That's a very nice hunt. Good for you

NJJOSH
04-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Great finds seems like a sweet spot. I can't wait to see what the rest of the yard holds for you

wisconsin digger
04-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Great hunt and the coin ring is a great find. Never seen one live but have seen a few on the detecting videos. Great Hunt Wisconsin Digger