PDA

View Full Version : Warm weather with a slight chance of silver.

MangoAve
04-12-2014, 04:07 PM
As Dan told me, the finds would get better soon, however, it may not be a huge change right away. This morning started off with getting rejected again from one of the places I tried last weekend. This time I had a liability waiver with me, but the owner still said no because he had even family ask before, some were part of historical society, and he didn't want to start a 'war' due to saying yes to me but no to them. ugh. I was interested in the fact it was historic, and owned by one of the first family names in the town, and a school built 1700 not 500 ft away. He thought the main attraction to the place was being near the tavern which was part of supposed gold cache heist in revolutionary time and how wagons used to go by there. So instead I had to go to my hometown where I found a vacant property on one of the older sections, right on the corner near an old mill. It took a while to finally hit some luck, but a little luck is still good. The first thing I found was a number (yet again only 2 days later than the last one). The house was 37 so I don't understand why I found a number 1. Dave, I guess this counts for a spill? There were two in the same hole. After maybe 40 min I finally got some luck. The readings were steady for each item in the hole I realized after, but I thought I was only on top of the penny. Turns out there was also silver in the hole which is the next step up on the scale. After that, there was some strange piece, maybe a pin or clip. Then yet again another key. My machine loves those. I had a pretty big signal which was consistent. I thought I was digging up a railing for the steps, turns out it was a mega valve assembly. Then came a huge railroad spike with a nail right near it. There was something else in the same area, but I could not pin point it. Kept reading like a 50 cent at 4 inches. There was a large iron disc, slightly concave. After another 40 min I gave up. There were a few pull tabs reading in the nickel category, consistently 35-37. No luck, just tabs. The yale & towne key is no older than 1868...lol. and no younger than 1987. The quarter obviously is 1941. The penny is harder to read, but I think 1948. The top is oxidized more than the bottom so it's harder to tell 1948 from 1945 while the wheat is intact.

Timewarpdigger
04-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Always nice to get a silver surprise. Congrats!!

del
04-12-2014, 08:09 PM
:cheering::cheering:woo-hoo
Silver:cheering::cheering:

congrats Jim :clapping::clapping:

Digger Don
04-12-2014, 09:52 PM
Congrats on your finds, especially the Silver

giant056
04-13-2014, 04:17 AM
Great score on the silver GW :thumbsup01:

MangoAve
04-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys. Thought I would get more due to location but I was wrong. However if you still find one piece of silver, it's one more than you had before. I thought you would tell me what that 2" iron disc was, Dan. I didn't save valve which is why pic was taken before it was trashed . Iron spike I didn't save either. Weird as closest railroad is 10 miles away. And yes the clip is like a hair clip. There was a small crystal that just fell out. I don't have jewelry glue to put it back.

OxShoeDrew
04-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Sorry about the first site, but silver is always a remedy :)
I'd dig keys all day... if that vdi got under my coil :yes: Congrats!

coinnut
04-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Silver? Moving up in the world :lol: Great quarter and your first glimpse at silver in the hole!

RobW
04-14-2014, 08:45 AM
First silver?

Congrats on some good finds:thumbsup01:

MIKE54
04-14-2014, 06:08 PM
love them silver quarters,nice hunt!