PDA

View Full Version : Another GW button & a 7 copper day*5 coin copper spill

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-12-2014, 09:27 PM
Todd and myself decided to go to a deep site that we found.a good 3 mile hike in.we been putting this site off for awhile now due to the hike but,today we decided to go for it.
took us a good hour to get close to it but along the way we spotted a hole.it was hit real good and only one target came out smack in the middle of the cellar hole.looks like a toasted KGIII.
off to the spot we mapped out.a few buttons.todd got a few coins ,I got a 5 coin pocket spill (huge KGIII Hibernia? a couple matron heads,a braided hair, a classic head half cen tand a lone CT? copper with a clipped planchet.
we were pretty wiped out by 3pm and low on water so,we decided to call it a day.we made the trek back and along the way we took another trail out and what do we see a bran foundation set back behind a pond.
Todd located the homesite up on a knoll.no cellar just a pile of rocks and a couple cut stones and bricks.todd nabbed another copper and I dug my 11th 1789 George Washington Inaugural button.waht a day! was beautiful out 70 degrees,ticks were insane and ran outta water but so worth the long mountainous hike in and out!
Dan some of the verdigris is pretty tough on a couple coins.i managed to get a couple of the coins decent lookin using my finger nail to pop some off but,a couple are stubborn.can you give me any suggestions?

MangoAve
04-12-2014, 09:52 PM
Wow. Nice haul. Was that just the word 'deep' or the CT DEEP? That one with the hole is almost 200 years old. It looks like they tried to shoot at it, but idk which type of Bullet would be that small. I see an ox shoe, make Drew happy. Lol. Shoulda hit me up. At least I got something today.

kpmoose
04-12-2014, 10:34 PM
Nice job Dave. That's an awesome day. Sweet 5 coin copper spill. 11 GW's now. :omg::congrats:

Had my first real hunt of the year today. I only had a 1 mile hike in. Need to build up my stamina so I can head out with you & Todd again this year.:)

kray
04-12-2014, 10:34 PM
Wow! An amazing day!

Thiltzy
04-12-2014, 11:13 PM
Fantastic Day Dave:happy:Gratz on your 11th GW, it would be nice to find a different variety for once:lolsign:

Three of the coppers from the pocket spill held up beautifully with great detail and it seems that being stuck together even kept some of the original toning.
I am almost done cleaning up my finds. I will probably post them Sunday because I am bush wacked:sleepy:

del
04-13-2014, 12:33 AM
:shocked03::wow: what a day Dave :clapping::congrats::clapping: you must of felt like I did when i found my spill :happy::yahoo::bananadance: and see how the coins protect the next one they are stuck to. :shocked05:wow they are some pretty coins when they were dropped.there a couple of ways to maybe break that stubborn brittle verdigris off. you could heat up the coin with a hair dryer or heat lamp to where its pretty warm and then drop it in some ice cold water . or freeze the coin completely (not in water) and after the coin has been in there a while then try to pop off the verdigris with a toothpick . you might have to repeat it a few times.

Incredible Day Dave :notworthy:

giant056
04-13-2014, 04:13 AM
Awesome score on all them coppers and congrats on the GW button :thumbsup02:

.......................................... :congrats:

OxShoeDrew
04-13-2014, 05:13 AM
... I see an ox shoe, make Drew happy. Lol...:lol:
Only one GW Dave? :lol:
You're the champ sir! Keep it up :notworthy:

Bell-Two
04-13-2014, 07:25 AM
Wow that is what I call a coin spill! And the GW button, man you got more than George himself ever had! :lolsign: Congratulations Dave on an awesome hunt!

milco
04-13-2014, 07:30 AM
Some great finds, congrats on the goodies and the GW!!

coinnut
04-13-2014, 04:22 PM
11 GW's ??? :thinkingabout:Time to call the IRS :lol: Great hunt Dave, copper spills and a GW. Worth the walk for sure!!:clapping:

pulltabsteve
04-13-2014, 05:15 PM
WOW on # 11!! :clapping::thumbsup02::congrats:

Timewarpdigger
04-13-2014, 07:36 PM
Congrats for the finds and especially the GW button. Unbelievable. Your a magnet for them.

CTTodd
04-13-2014, 07:50 PM
You get what you deserve. You put in outstanding effort and your results are Outstanding.
Good for you Dave

Lodge Scent
04-13-2014, 08:23 PM
:shocked03: YOW !

Dave, you attract GW's and coppers like I attract deer ticks.

BTV Digger
04-13-2014, 09:17 PM
Wow, great finds and well worth the arduous trek. I'm surprised you've got places to hunt where you need to hike that far. Up here in Vermont there's plenty of wildlands but even the more remote sites I can get to in about 1.5 miles or less, at least on the non-federal/state, legally dig-able land. Regardless, love the 5 coin spill. That must of ruined someone's day when they discovered the hole in their pocket!

BTV Digger

Tony Two-Cent
04-14-2014, 08:23 AM
This is one of those posts that just makes me green with envy! :envious:

A 5 copper spill, plus 2 more coppers, plus a GW button? INSANE!!!

:notworthy:

RobW
04-14-2014, 09:07 AM
:shocked05::shocked05::shocked05:.........11th GW......:shocked05::shocked05:and a 5 coins spill:shocked05:...simply AMAZING!

The Rebel
04-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Dave what more can I say but WOW! Awesome job bud!

tracyjm
05-19-2014, 04:55 AM
Congratulations!! Sounds like you definitely put in some effort to get to your sites. What amazing finds!! ...John