PDA

View Full Version : CELLAR HOLE HUNT with DEL & COINNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Dan called me last night and wanted to find some spots down this way which we did on a map.George and Dan arrived at 5 am :interesting: and we headed out <: the few sites we hit produced some coppers i'm sure they will post thiers when they get home.
i got a 1787 FUGIO cent and a Connecticut copper.the 3rd copper sized disc has a square nail hole in it but no details :confused: it's just a hair larger in diameter than these other 2 coppers and very thin.a counterfiet perhaps? :confused: idk what it is but i think i'm gonna count it as a copper :tongue: :teasing:
the beetle popped out of the hole while digging a target.i beleive it's a rhinosarus beetle as it has one horn coming off his head :shocked04: a pic of a small tan frog too.
been awhile since i hunted with dan & george and was a very enjoyable day.thanks guys! thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-29-2010, 06:48 PM
more pics

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-29-2010, 06:49 PM
more pics

tanacat
05-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Love the rhinocerus beetle :smitten: and the frog too...

No seriously- you did great! Woo Hooo~~ 3 coppers!!! And some other interesting stuff. That's good to hear Curly & Mo found some coppers too :yes: Thanks for all the pics, you sure have beautiful country up there, so green and lush.

angellionel
05-29-2010, 06:55 PM
You did quite well. That site looks great too - quiet and peaceful. :yes: Congrats on the old coppers! thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
05-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Very nice coppers!!! Love the photos.

You had to pick up the beetle? :shocked04:

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Love the rhinocerus beetle :smitten: and the frog too...

No seriously- you did great! Woo Hooo~~ 3 coppers!!! And some other interesting stuff. That's good to hear Curly & Mo found some coppers too :yes: Thanks for all the pics, you sure have beautiful country up there, so green and lush.

thanks Tana!

del
05-29-2010, 08:26 PM
hey Dave it was great seeing ya again , we had a great time and and alot of coppers were recovered (my 1785 is still soaking)
you did great today my friend , congrats on the fugio and Connecticut coppers . we'll have to do it again , tell Ron he missed out and hope you guys do jast as well tomarro.

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-29-2010, 08:33 PM
hey Dave it was great seeing ya again , we had a great time and and alot of coppers were recovered (my 1785 is still soaking)
you did great today my friend , congrats on the fugio and Connecticut coppers . we'll have to do it again , tell Ron he missed out and hope you guys do jast as well tomarro.

Dan

thanks Dan! glad ya got one too! i thoroughly enjoy hunting with you guys! that unidentifiable disc has no shank mark and was basically next to the Ct copper that i found and G found.could it be a extremely worn foreign copper? i really think it is a counterfeit and was intended to be passed as one.is it ok to count it? :confused:
anytime ya feel like coming down you both are always welcome.have a safe holiday men! :beerbuddy:
P.S. see the ORB between you and G in first pic? a colonial ghost whizzin by rofl

sniffy
05-29-2010, 08:46 PM
sweet! Nice goin.

coinnut
05-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Here's Curly lol That makes Dan Moe :cheesysmile: I finally got around to cleaning today's finds up. Dave it was great to see you again. :beerbuddy: And you can count that non copper as a copper, since you only have 12 :poke: Some great pictures there. Congrats on your Fugio and Connecticut Copper. We each scored a Connecticut copper today. How wierd is that? :confused: I had a pretty good detecting day with 2 coppers (a 1787 Connecticut and a 1837 Hard Times token), 10 buttons, a nice buckle frame, some other odds and ends. All in all, a good hunt. Sometime soon Dave will have to give you his speech on checking your holes twice :poke: and I will finish with my speech on how to not lose expensive equipment in the woods rofl Enjoy the finds everyone and thanks for looking!

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Here's Curly lol That makes Dan Moe :cheesysmile: I finally got around to cleaning today's finds up. Dave it was great to see you again. :beerbuddy: And you can count that non copper as a copper, since you only have 12 :poke: Some great pictures there. Congrats on your Fugio and Connecticut Copper. We each scored a Connecticut copper today. How wierd is that? :confused: I had a pretty good detecting day with 2 coppers (a 1787 Connecticut and a 1837 Hard Times token), 10 buttons, a nice buckle frame, some other odds and ends. All in all, a good hunt. Sometime soon Dave will have to give you his speech on checking your holes twice :poke: and I will finish with my speech on how to not lose expensive equipment in the woods rofl Enjoy the finds everyone and thanks for looking!

thanks G.nice seeing you too again! always a pleasure! and for the record i left that copper in the hole for George everyone :blackeye:
some sweet buttons ya got! cool coppers and a beautiful buckle frame.i'll post the one i found last year.very similiar to yours only mines a bit larger.
have a safe holiday man! :beerbuddy:

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-29-2010, 10:00 PM
my buckle like yours

John M
05-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Looks like you all had a productive day.Congrats on the Coppers guys.

tanacat
05-30-2010, 10:17 AM
All in all, a good hunt. Sometime soon Dave will have to give you his speech on checking your holes twice :poke: and I will finish with my speech on how to not lose expensive equipment in the woods rofl Enjoy the finds everyone and thanks for looking!

Nice buckle & congrats on the 2 coppers! Are any of your buttons particularly special/distinguishable?

(my 1785 is still soaking)

Nice! What is your oldest to date?

coinnut
05-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Are any of your buttons particularly special/distinguishable?

All of my buttons (babies) are special lol Tana, most are just common day buttons of one sort or another. Some can be semi-rare Like Del's NY militia buttons, among others. Some can be really rare like any of the GW's (George Washington Inagural Buttons) we have found. Some Revolutionary buttons can be quite rare too. 95+ % of all the buttons found, are rather common (but sometimes nicely decorated) buttons. I've probably found close to 800+ buttons so far.

tanacat
05-30-2010, 10:21 PM
All of my buttons (babies) are special

Yes of course they are lol wow that's a lot of buttons - I have ohhhh 20 so far :cheesysmile: I'm happy when I find one, at least it's a little piece of the past!

del
05-30-2010, 11:26 PM
George you had a great day as well with two coppers and some fine relics (love the ornate shoe buckle frame thumbsup01) it was a perfect day weather wise and good friends with some laughs .heres what i brought home , just a few buttons
(a couple gilted ones) i felt a little cheated by all the good coin-like targets but only
one copper to show for it but that went away as soon as i got it cleaned up and saw that i had a pretty scarce variety
Connecticut . its a 1787 , the reason i thought it was a 1785 is because it has arrows on either side of the date as well around the words instead of the normal cinqufoil motif. i'm 98% sure its a miller 14-H variety heres a link to a better picture of
the kind i found
http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/connecticut_coppers/1787_ct_coppers/1787_ct_copper_miller_14_H.htm

sorry it took so long to post between the cleaning and the holiday picnic with the in-laws didn't have alot of time.
Dave we'll have to do it again.

Dan

coinnut
05-31-2010, 12:05 AM
That's one sweet Copper lol What a nice rare one, and the soil was so good to it too. thumbsup01 The buttons were in good shape also. Not a lot of targets, but some quality ones. I'd say we all had a good day. :beerbuddy:

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-31-2010, 05:00 AM
very nice dan! amazing condition compared to ours :drool: some sweet buttons too! congrats!

del
06-01-2010, 02:41 AM
yes it seems i'm having a quality over quantity year this year :dontknow:. while George is getting more coppers (and he'll probably win the copper title this year) he has few decent ones while i have few crappy ones and i can live with that . lol :tongue:

coinnut
06-01-2010, 10:25 AM
yes it seems i'm having a quality over quantity year this year :dontknow:. while George is getting more coppers (and he'll probably win the copper title this year) he has few decent ones while i have few crappy ones and i can live with that . lol :tongue:

The only title I'm shooting for is my goal of 50 coppers ;) I may have to buy some to get there though lol I think Angel has some that are my quality rofl

tanacat
06-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Nice copper and buttons Dan! Looks like you guys had fun and discovered the wonders of nature while you were at it. Btw, I can't see that frog for the life of me :shocked04:stretcher:

angellionel
06-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Awesome hunt guys! It was a great day to be out too, and that alone would have made for a fun hunt. The finds are icing on the cake. :yes: Love the old coppers! :loveit:

The only title I'm shooting for is my goal of 50 coppers ;) I may have to buy some to get there though lol I think Angel has some that are my quality rofl

I'm certain that I have the 'crappy copper finds' title locked up already. lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Nice copper and buttons Dan! Looks like you guys had fun and discovered the wonders of nature while you were at it. Btw, I can't see that frog for the life of me :shocked04:stretcher:

rofl Tana jsut above the stick and between the 2 leaves :teasing:

tanacat
06-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Well it sure is camoflauged.... :eyebrow:

And to think I've spent about 2 decades leading nature hikes & teaching environmental ed to little kids lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Well it sure is camoflauged.... :eyebrow:

And to think I've spent about 2 decades leading nature hikes & teaching environmental ed to little kids lol

ya see it?
if ya still can't here it is lol

tanacat
06-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Okayyyyy I see him now... I knew he had to be in the center of your pic . (He's real skinny poor thing needs a few flies). He's facing to the left, that's his legbelow the blackness, right? It almost looks like that black line was his mouth and one eye on the right, only his face was peering out, and he looked really strange blah blah blah lol

I admit I had a couple home brews tonight, a good batch my hubby
nicknamed the 'wife pleaser':beerbuddy: (Indian Pale Ale- my favorite) :yes:

angellionel
06-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Here he is, Tana. He is a tiny one. lol The dark line is where his eye would be. :yes:

tanacat
06-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Here he is, Tana. He is a tiny one. lol The dark line is where his eye would be. :yes:

lol Are you guys messing with me? I am getting kind of old- I need to get my eyes checked again...

del
06-02-2010, 02:26 AM
lol Are you guys messing with me? I am getting kind of old- I need to get my eyes checked again...

yeah Tana he's facing to the right , the dark line is along the right side of his face , lol lol those brews must be doing their job lol rofl :poke: :happydance01:

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-02-2010, 05:00 AM
rofl :happydance01: <: rofl :teasing: nah we are not messin with you.we only mess with eachother.but,on a serious note ummm maybe a eye exam should be a priority in the near future :cheesysmile: :dontknow: :thinkingabout:
just teasin ya.they do blend into nature well .God did a great job huh? thumbsup01

tanacat
06-02-2010, 08:08 AM
they do blend into nature well .God did a great job huh? thumbsup01

Oh yes, some forms of camoflauge are absolutely amazing esp walking sticks and leaf bugs-- there's this one bug with leaf-looking aparatuses all over- wings, legs and all. I looked for it online to no avail, but I did find these critters rofl

http://www.freakingnews.com/Insects-Camou:usaflag:e-Pictures--1272.asp

Boy we really got off the subject! lol Perhaps it deserve a topic split :eyebrow:

coinnut
06-02-2010, 09:32 AM
No, no more topic splits lol The frog is really there. He's right next to the Orangutan rofl Angel's hi is coming out of his mouth. Here this may help ya:

[size=36pt] E

[size=24pt] C B

[size=1:crazy:t] D Z O 7

P B 2 Q R T

J U S T K I D D I N G

Epi-hunter
06-02-2010, 09:41 AM

Did you take that out of the bigger photo? There is no frog in that bigger photo. :confused:

Ill Digger
06-02-2010, 10:42 AM
8/ lol It there :yes: rofl
He blends in REAL good thumbsup01

Cheap Thrills
06-02-2010, 11:45 AM
This is a very enjoyable thread . Great hunting guys . I love seeing the really old finds , the vegetation , the wildlife and the zingers you throw at each other rofl.Thanks !! thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Baba

Cheap Thrills
06-02-2010, 12:07 PM
ya see it?
if ya still can't here it is lol

Does anyone else see what appears to be the face of a little rodent-like critter about an 1+1/2 down directly under the Frog and center of where those leaf stems cross ? Look for 2 round black eyes and a button nose .Probably just an illusion caused by some leaves but about as visible as the Frog .

Baba

Epi-hunter
06-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Does anyone else see what appears to be the face of a little rodent-like critter about an 1+1/2 down directly under the Frog and center of where those leaf stems cross ? Look for 2 round black eyes and a button nose

You have got to be kidding lol

Cheap Thrills
06-02-2010, 12:28 PM
You have got to be kidding lol

Nope , I'm as serious as a heart attack .

coinnut
06-02-2010, 12:28 PM
That's it lol Dave is banned from taking anymore frog pictures rofl Now since Dave can't post frog pictures anymore ;) Does anyone see the frog in the bush? There he is chasing me back into the house in picture #2.

Cheap Thrills
06-02-2010, 01:38 PM
That's it lol Dave is banned from taking anymore frog pictures rofl Now since Dave can't post frog pictures anymore ;) Does anyone see the frog in the bush? There he is chasing me back into the house in picture #2.

Take a chance and give it a big smooch , it may be a Princess waiting to be freed from an evil spell :kiss:

tanacat
06-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Did you take that out of the bigger photo? There is no frog in that bigger photo. :confused:

See I'm not the only one :tongue: I think we should take a poll

del
06-02-2010, 03:02 PM
:tongue: I think we should take a poll

yes a poll

who all thinks Coinnut's frog picture is really a self portrait of him before his wife kissed him of course lol lol rofl :poke: :tongue: :teasing: lol

tanacat
06-02-2010, 03:06 PM
No, no more topic splits lol The frog is really there. He's right next to the Orangutan rofl Angel's hi is coming out of his mouth. Here this may help ya:

[size=36pt] E

[size=24pt] C B

[size=1:crazy:t] D Z O 7

P B 2 Q R T

J U S T K I D D I N G

George you're on a roll today!
Love the frog in the bush & on the porch, cracked me up rofl lol reminds me of my friend who takes pics of her gnome statue (Gnorman) wherever she travels.

Does anyone else see what appears to be the face of a little rodent-like critter about an 1+1/2 down directly under the Frog and center of where those leaf stems cross ? Look for 2 round black eyes and a button nose .Probably just an illusion caused by some leaves but about as visible as the Frog .

Hmmmmm perhaps you should check out the above chart as well... lol

tanacat
06-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Does anyone else see what appears to be the face of a little rodent-like critter Baba

I looked again and do see it!! :yes: totally looks like a lil mouse. But I still don't see the frog... :huh: Seriously--- does everyone else see it?

Cheap Thrills
06-02-2010, 03:41 PM
I looked again and do see it!! :yes: totally looks like a lil mouse. But I still don't see the frog... :huh: Seriously--- does everyone else see it?

Glad you saw it too Tana and weren't afraid to come forward lol thumbsup01 . It is an eerie looking little Critter
with a greenish hue and you can just make out what looks like it's left ear . I see the frog in both pictures also . I haven't spotted the Orangutan yet but when I listen real hard I think I can hear him breathing . :grin:

Baba

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-02-2010, 04:20 PM
puff puff pass :interesting:

tanacat
06-02-2010, 05:59 PM
I haven't spotted the Orangutan yet but when I listen real hard I think I can hear him breathing . :grin:

Baba

Double lol lol This thread has been fun, thanks Dave for starting it :grin:

Ferrous
06-02-2010, 08:08 PM
I don't really think it's a frog. Looks more like a toad to me. ;)

Ill Digger
06-02-2010, 11:52 PM
But I still don't see the frog... :huh: Seriously--- does everyone else see it?

I can see it...seriously :yes:
Dave's & Angel's photo shop jobs shows it really good :yes:

rofl rofl Friday lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-03-2010, 05:35 AM
I don't really think it's a frog. Looks more like a toad to me. ;)

nah it's a frog
http://www.frogsvilleusa.com/gallery/ky/wood-frog.html

tanacat
06-03-2010, 06:44 AM
nah it's a frog
http://www.frogsvilleusa.com/gallery/ky/wood-frog.html

I REALLY do see it now- the black line under his its totally threw me off! Angie, do you see it now, compared to this pic? Good one to compare, it's in the same exact position rofl

I can't believe we've talked about this #$%^ frog for practically 3 pages of your thread Dave lol

I can see it...seriously :yes:
Dave's & Angel's photo shop jobs shows it really good :yes:

Thanks you two, for taking the time to do that for me :twirlingeyes: This smile is appropriate!