PDA

View Full Version : 3 Mile Hike to Cellar Hole pays off - Counter Stamped Reale, State Coppers, and more

Thiltzy
04-13-2014, 10:42 AM
After 6 months of contemplating Dave and I finally decided to go for a 3 mile hike through ruff terrain to find a cellar hole. We knew there was a cellar hole at a certain location but we weren't sure if it would be worth the trouble. A few months prior, we spoke to a woman that told us her house was from the 1700's and that it was moved to it's current location. The original location is where we were trying to get to.

Luckily we made the hike as it was well worth the ruff trip. Obviously Dave had a stellar day but my day wasn't too shabby either. My first coin was a good one, a One Reale with a merchant counter stamp R.F. I think I can make out the date 1724?
Finding this coin was a painful lesson for me, let me explain. When I opened the plug and saw the silver edge, I went to go grab my camera. While grabbing my camera, Dave was in another field so I shouted to him that I got silver so he came all the way over to my area to see what it was. We were both pretty excited and after our small celebration I continued forward as Dave decided to infringe on my territory. However, I forgot to rescan the area that the reale came out of and Two minutes later Dave is shouting in excitement as he is waving me back to the spot I dug the Reale. He points to the 5 copper coin spill as I just shake my head in disgust:disgusted:. Detecting 101, always rescan your area which I always do and the one time I forget, it bites my in the arse:bangshead01: :hystericallaugh:.
Kudos to Dave for reminding me and I am glad he did find the spill because it may had been lost forever. I did somewhat make up for it as I did manage 4 more coins on the day. A toasty New Jersey copper, 1859 Fatty Injun, 1899 Indian and a nice Connecticut Copper rounded out my day.

del
04-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Hey Todd check that date again on the reale it looks to have a left facing bust and if so can't have a 1724 date .

the counter stamp looks to be from Robert Fairchild a silversmith from 1703 to 1794

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-13-2014, 11:24 AM
awesome day we had! yeah i agree with Dan on the real.Dan I'm pretty sure bust is facing right when i was holding it yesterday gotta be like 1780's or so.as I explained the counter stamp could be a merchant stamp or a silver smith one.glad Dan was right on this with ID.way to go Dan! was a brutal trek but glad we went for it! congrats!
looks like 1792 to me todd.the dot is to the left of what you think is a 7.the 4th number is almost wiped out but looks like a 2 to me.
i may not have the exact date but sometime dates get smeared lookin when worn.but what's clear is where your dot is like on the good pic.so on yours you think the numbers that are visible is 724 which is deceiving.the 4th # is there

kpmoose
04-13-2014, 11:55 AM
Cool finds Todd. With effort you & Dave put in, you guys deserve everything you find. :thumbsup01:

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-13-2014, 11:55 AM
also looks like at some point it was intended to be cut in 1/4's.see the faint scratches?

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-13-2014, 12:03 PM
this is actually the shape of the bust on your coin

Thiltzy
04-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the info on the Silver Smith counter mark Dan and Dave, thanks for researching the reale. I believe the bust is facing right Dan. This is what my eyes are seeing but I think Dave is probably correct on the date.38142

Thiltzy
04-13-2014, 12:44 PM
Thanks Kev

OxShoeDrew
04-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Great hunt Todd! I've yet to find a NJ. Impressive haul :envious:

coinnut
04-13-2014, 04:56 PM
Nice score at that site Todd. many more finds to come from there! Gorgeous CT, must have been a sweet looking coin when dropped. That Robert guy must have been a busy little guy stamping all them worn out silvers :lol: Mine is a 1 reale.

pulltabsteve
04-13-2014, 05:14 PM
Great finds! Bet you will never, ever in your detecting career forget to rescan a hole again. At least not when Dave's around. ;) Awesome hunt and hike!

del
04-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Finding this coin was a painful lesson for me, let me explain. When I opened the plug and saw the silver edge, I went to go grab my camera. While grabbing my camera, Dave was in another field so I shouted to him that I got silver so he came all the way over to my area to see what it was. We were both pretty excited and after our small celebration I continued forward as Dave decided to infringe on my territory. However, I forgot to rescan the area that the reale came out of and Two minutes later Dave is shouting in excitement as he is waving me back to the spot I dug the Reale. He points to the 5 copper coin spill as I just shake my head in disgust:disgusted:. Detecting 101, always rescan your area which I always do and the one time I forget, it bites my in the arse:bangshead01: :hystericallaugh:.

Bet you will never, ever in your detecting career forget to rescan a hole again. At least not when Dave's around.

Dave , Dave ,Dave :shame: you my friend gained five more coppers but missed the perfect opportunity of a lifetime to ...

1. do the right thing by calling your partner over and telling him "hey your not going to leave me all these coins you missed in your hole are you" or "you don't want the rest of these coppers in this hole"

2. be in a position to never let him live that moment down (forever) and unquestionably and completely ridicule or embarrass him while he was retrieving the rest of the loot

3. and at the same time you would of gained the "ut-most" respect , professionalism and gratitude by your partner ( and maybe a few others) just before he would want to climb under a rock and hide.:lol:

tough lesson to learn Todd , but i bet you'll never forget it again .

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-13-2014, 06:58 PM
Dave , Dave ,Dave :shame: you my friend gained five more coppers but missed the perfect opportunity of a lifetime to ...

1. do the right thing by calling your partner over and telling him "hey your not going to leave me all these coins you missed in your hole are you" or "you don't want the rest of these coppers in this hole"

2. be in a position to never let him live that moment down (forever) and unquestionably and completely ridicule or embarrass him while he was retrieving the rest of the loot

3. and at the same time you would of gained the "ut-most" respect , professionalism and gratitude by your partner ( and maybe a few others) just before he would want to climb under a rock and hide.:lol:

tough lesson to learn Todd , but i bet you'll never forget it again .
hey it almost sounded like a ox shoe signal it was a kinda funky signal.i never expected that shovel full of coppers to come flipping out

coinnut
04-13-2014, 07:14 PM
:lipssealed:..............:lol:

Timewarpdigger
04-13-2014, 07:48 PM
Congrats on what seemed to be one awesome dig. :congrats:

CTTodd
04-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Super day. What are friends for

Lodge Scent
04-13-2014, 08:10 PM
I certainly wouldn't fret over that haul Todd. Some excellent finds there. Counterstamped reale, a couple of great coppers ! Very cool.

BTV Digger
04-13-2014, 09:26 PM
As I mentioned to HeavyMetalNut...great hunt for sure, and well worth the long hike. Find treasure and lose weight at the same time right? Agree on the ticks as well. Coldest winter up here in 10 yrs, and already pulling them off my two labs. Nuts.

BTV Digger

Bell-Two
04-14-2014, 07:20 AM
How do you find enough superlatives to described the hunt you guys had! I hope you got this on video! Gosh nice reale and copper and relics. I love it! Thanks for sharing Todd :wow: :happydance02: :congrats: :perfect10:

Tony Two-Cent
04-14-2014, 08:36 AM
Incredible finds, Todd! Wow, if I even found ONE of those coins I would be in heaven for a month! I love the counter-stamped One Real.

:perfect10:

RobW
04-14-2014, 09:00 AM
:shocked04:..incredible finds!

The Rebel
04-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Killer Finds Todd! WTG!

Thiltzy
04-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Hey everyone... thanks for all your compliments:grouphug:

don in ny
04-17-2014, 06:22 AM
ladsfjbn adsj dfh ....... Sorry, I was wiping the drool off my keyboard. You guys had one great day and certainly worth the hike. Love finding early coppers and a counterstamped real makes it a special one. Really nice finds.