PDA

View Full Version : Friday hunt w/Coinnut

del
04-13-2014, 07:50 PM
George and I went last Friday (probably our last one for some time due to the museum hunts starting up again) we hit a site we had pretty good luck with Todd and Dave last December. surprising there wasn't many targets and the 3 or 4 high copper targets i did get were a deep shoe buckle , an oxknob , a brass candle holder base and lantern part but no coins :girlcry:

CTTodd
04-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Right area that's for sure. Thanks for the post

MangoAve
04-13-2014, 08:03 PM
Dan, about as lucky as when you and I went. Someone on this forum would be happy to get the ox knob..Idr who posted saying they want one. I seem to have better luck in the parking lots, Dan. I found another RWM token today in the parking lot before I went out today.

Lodge Scent
04-13-2014, 08:18 PM
No coppers Dan but still a nice hunt ! I always a bit amazed when I can pull a bunch of big brass from a site without at least one copper. Is that tongue and chape iron? If so did it give you a choppy signal ?

Timewarpdigger
04-13-2014, 08:58 PM
Congrats on the finds.

BTV Digger
04-13-2014, 09:04 PM
Looks like you got a few older buttons in there as well Dan. Anything noteworthy on those?

BTV Digger

del
04-14-2014, 02:27 AM
thanks all :yes:

No coppers Dan but still a nice hunt ! I always a bit amazed when I can pull a bunch of big brass from a site without at least one copper. Is that tongue and chape iron? If so did it give you a choppy signal ?

Jeff surprising the signal was a solid +79+80 just like a King George copper bt i've had other shoe buckles with iron "guts" sound pretty iffy or choppy before , maybe because the ground is so wet it still rang good but could of sounded worse in very dry soil. :dontknow:

OxShoeDrew
04-14-2014, 05:28 AM
I bet that ring above the tombacs sounded good. Old iron rings sound like coppers on my machine...and of course oxknobs puncture your heart when you see them in a hole.....like a shish-ka-knob. :rofl:

Nice buckle Dan...1750s?

Bell-Two
04-14-2014, 07:24 AM
Good relics always make a decent hunt, and those rings always sound good!

coinnut
04-14-2014, 07:44 AM
Hey some nice relics but we worked for them :lol: I got 3 round ball, 5 buttons, a pretty cool key, and that hammer / adz thing and a whole lot of other scrap. Lots of melted glass and metal, so I'm pretty sure that place burned at one time. We'll write that one off our list for a while.

MangoAve
04-14-2014, 09:07 AM
Hey George, do I still see iron? And not something like a railroad spike or an iron disk which are large enough to bypass the discriminator, but infact nails?

RobW
04-14-2014, 09:10 AM
I think Todd and Dave are ahead of you two.....:poke::poke:

Still some good finds having to work that hard

coinnut
04-14-2014, 04:40 PM
Hey George, do I still see iron? And not something like a railroad spike or an iron disk which are large enough to bypass the discriminator, but infact nails?

I always dig nails at a site when I first get there. That way I know what the limits of my discriminator are at that site, under those conditions, on that particular day. You have a lot to learn Grasshopper :hystericallaugh:

del
04-14-2014, 05:38 PM
George i was sure one of us would of gotten a coin or two after it produced 6 total from the last trip. great looking pewter "rat-tail" type spoon ,very uncommon to get them complete:thumbsup02:

the larger thin iron like "flatstock" , thick nails with large heads and bent nails will always give you them iffy" or "dig-me" sounds Jim George and I always fall on the side to dig'em . plus I always want to dig the larger items of iron like tools ,axes, side plates ect.

I bet that ring above the tombacs sounded good. Old iron rings sound like coppers on my machine...and of course oxknobs puncture your heart when you see them in a hole.....like a shish-ka-knob. :rofl:

Nice buckle Dan...1750s?

drew the iron rinds sound like very decent targets mixed with iron on my machine and yes their not as heart breaking as the dreaded oxknob . all the show buckles found here have been the very thin framed and plain types , suggesting these people were very modest , hard working farmers. this buckle could be as early as that time.

I think Todd and Dave are ahead of you two.....:poke::poke:

Still some good finds having to work that hard

Rob now that the museum has called us back , Todd and Dave are sure to stay ahead of us as we won't be able to put in the time they do.

MangoAve
04-15-2014, 07:14 AM
the larger thin iron like "flatstock" , thick nails with large heads and bent nails will always give you them iffy" or "dig-me" sounds Jim George and I always fall on the side to dig'em . plus I always want to dig the larger items of iron like tools ,axes, side plates ect.
QUOTE]

[QUOTE=coinnut;161616]I always dig nails at a site when I first get there. That way I know what the limits of my discriminator are at that site, under those conditions, on that particular day. You have a lot to learn Grasshopper :hystericallaugh:

Haha, I'm just bustin' you George. Just 'cuz one of the last threads you commented on I had actually dug 0 nails and yet you still told me to learn my machine for iron. The huge valve assembly this weekend, which was like 10" long, had brass and iron. I think it gave me a repeatable signal due to the brass. Which thinking about this, I am wondering if my machine was taylored more to determining the things it discriminates versus the things that it does not. Explanation: As in the park, coins were fairly repeatable, +- 5 counts, but then would jump more than that every few swings during the pin-pointing process and pitch would change too. I know coins can be on edge and ring up differently depending on which direction you swing, and I never know the orientation because I always get the coins out in a pile of loose dirt which it has been moved. But this weekend, the pulltabs, I dug a few to verify, were +-1 count. Really accurate for an item that can be discriminated in program 2. Sometimes I do contemplate to dig some iron just because I'm getting antsy with only swinging and no real hits, just to make sure I am still finding something even if junk. The machine is supposed to automatically adjust for the gound mineralization.

coinnut
04-15-2014, 10:33 AM
You misunderstood my comments on iron. Even if you do not dig iron you need to understand iron and how it works. If you don't dig some iron you won't know if you are missing something. Most places have been hunted. There are a lot a reasons why things are still at theses sites. One is depth....simply too deep for the previous machine to locate it. Another reason is iron and it hides more targets than you can imagine.

MangoAve
04-15-2014, 11:10 AM
You misunderstood my comments on iron. Even if you do not dig iron you need to understand iron and how it works. If you don't dig some iron you won't know if you are missing something. Most places have been hunted. There are a lot a reasons why things are still at theses sites. One is depth....simply too deep for the previous machine to locate it. Another reason is iron and it hides more targets than you can imagine.

I guess you were referring the other way. The way I was reading your statement was to determine how your machine is seeing the iron in the specific soil you are digging. Although, I do know too that the iron masks nearby targets. I did not realize this was what you were referring to. Yes, I have seen times where I'm almost 6 inches away from a target that I read as iron (bypassed discriminator with one swing direction and random numbers/tones/categories.. categories as in reading of 75 but the arrow points to a $1 coin for 150-256 as the processor was confused), and put detector in all metal mode and it screaming even tho it's way far away from a target in comparison to a coin detection area. I am aware the huge detection zone of iron and that iron masks any coins near it. That is why I gave up on a spot this weekend where it was a 1 ft radius that I was detecting a $1 piece, with a repeatable number, in the same spot as I dug the huge iron spike and nail right next to it, because I could not pinpoint location. My machine, Dan saw, is closely accurate to depth like his, and at 4" dept I was not seeing anything nor was my pinpointer which adds an extra 2-3" depth to bottom of hole at a reading of 4" provided by machine.