PDA

View Full Version : Big Ring Help

z118
05-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Just got back with this... it rang up EXACTLY like a foil bottle top, the kind that come on small plastic milk and orange juice bottle, so when I first saw it in the plug I thought GOLD!!! It came out clean as can be but there is no stamp! It is silver colored like white gold. I have an acid test kit but it isn't so easy with this ring because it does not leave a good streak on the stone, though I tried another 10K white gold ring I found last year and it too does not leave a good streak. Anyway, the streak I do get with this new ring does not seem to be affected by the 14K acid solution... so I'd like tobelieve it's 14K. Any thoughts on this? How common would an unstamped gold band be? It's on the left in the second pic, on my middle finger. I wish there was a stamp so I'd know how exited to be right now!

Hook
05-29-2010, 07:47 PM
well Zman..i'm not the one that could help you with any advice due to my inexperience dealing with gold rings :confused:..but it sure looks like white gold to me. How deep was it? and was it dulled or dingy at all when it came out of the ground? Maybe you could have a jeweler test it for you?
Anyway,....congrats !! nice ring there bud,...even it it turns out to be less than what you hope it is

hobbes_lives
05-29-2010, 07:58 PM
Z, does it feel heavy for it's size? If so, it may be gold or platinum. If it seem to be light for it's size, it may be titanium. If it weigh what you'd expect for it's size, perhaps stainless steel. There's also tungsten, but I don't know how the weight is on those. Either way, it'd probably be worth it to have it checked out by a jeweler.

Epi-hunter
05-29-2010, 07:59 PM
Could be made of nickel? :confused:

It could be platinum too.

Stainless steel would come in at the silver range, right?

coinnut
05-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Stainless steel would come in at the silver range, right?

I'm not sure but I think Stainless steel would almost be rejected. I would guess real low on the scale :confused: I would take a wild guess and say 8 or 10. As for the ring, I sure hope it's real. I would bet on white gold and I think there is always a chance of not being marked. Sometimes it just plain wears off. Nice find. thumbsup01

z118
05-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Wouldn't stainless steel be attrached to a magnet?

EDIT - nevermind, I googled the question and apparently the answer is not necessarily

Epi-hunter
05-29-2010, 09:44 PM
For some reason I thought stainless steel read like silver. What do I know. 8/

Ill Digger
05-29-2010, 11:42 PM
:huh: :-\ I haven't a clue :dontknow:
Before all the talk about tungsten, titanium or SS I was thinking white gold :confused:
But what do I know? :rolleyes:
I'd be curious to hear the out come of a jewlers test :yes:
Either way it's not a junker and it's a great find!!
Congrats :grin:

Beefcake
05-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Too many little scratches on it for tungsten... Hmmm I'm guessing Stainless, but hoping it's white gold for you buddy!