PDA

View Full Version : Finally, a state copper!!

kray
04-13-2014, 08:03 PM
I finally found my first colonial copper!! It's a Massachusetts cent (thanks Dan for the ID help), but I can't make out the date. I found it about half a mile from a spot that Dave (Heavy Metal Nut) and Todd/ Thiltzy took me to a year or so ago. I'd found a couple of ox knobs in a dig or two near there last year but wandered off in search of other areas. It was 8 inches down and was a decent sounding, though slightly broken, hit. I'm so much happier with this than the 1/2 Reale I found a couple of years ago; American coins are so much more meaningful to me.
When I first pulled it out if the ground, it looked pretty good; I thought it would clean up well. After about half an hour of peroxide, though, I'm not so sure. What do I do now?! The picture of the greener looking coin is straight from the ground. The two with the green background are after peroxide. Should I keep trying peroxide, or just put some Ren wax on it?

MangoAve
04-13-2014, 08:06 PM
Nice find. I'm still waiting to find mine. It did look better before the peroxide cleaning.

del
04-13-2014, 08:13 PM
I disagree , if you look more closely there is more detail visible now . Its the lighting that makes it harder to see. Ray when we get together this week or weekend bring the coin so i can take a better look in person. its a great find and a coin still on my list.

Timewarpdigger
04-13-2014, 08:51 PM
Nice find and congrats for a bucket list coin. Safe & HH

coinnut
04-13-2014, 09:12 PM
Great find Ray :happy: Congrats on your first state coin!!!!!!

kray
04-13-2014, 10:06 PM
I disagree , if you look more closely there is more detail visible now . Its the lighting that makes it harder to see. Ray when we get together this week or weekend bring the coin so i can take a better look in person. its a great find and a coin still on my list.

Just say when, Dan. I'd love to show it to you.

OxShoeDrew
04-14-2014, 12:50 AM
:lol: I found one today too! Yours is in better shape though. What time did you find it? :lol:
Dan hinted that there'd be another one posted today. Congrats on a special find :clapping:

kray
04-14-2014, 04:17 AM
:lol: I found one today too! Yours is in better shape though. What time did you find it? :lol:
Dan hinted that there'd be another one posted today. Congrats on a special find :clapping:

Congrats Drew, I found mine about 4:30. Still can't believe it!
It was in CT, too, where it appears you're from. Where was yours dug up?

OxShoeDrew
04-14-2014, 05:07 AM
Congrats Drew, I found mine about 4:30. Still can't believe it!
It was in CT, too, where it appears you're from. Where was yours dug up? In CT, about 1:00. You had a long trip to get yours :lol:

RobW
04-14-2014, 08:36 AM
:shocked04:.......Awesome coinage!:thumbsup01:

MangoAve
04-14-2014, 01:57 PM
I disagree , if you look more closely there is more detail visible now . It's the lighting that makes it harder to see.

To me the first one just looks like the raised areas are more prominent with the green oxidation. It's just the more uniform color, which it should have had when produced, that seemed to give less contrast with raised areas. However, relating to diamonds, there are different qualities that are classified; Not just clarity, but color, and cut as well. I was only focused on the big contrast.

coinnut
04-14-2014, 05:19 PM
Trying to find the variety and my best guess is a 1787 - Breen's 961 - AKA Ryder 3-G or Crosby Pl. VI, 6 Maybe if Don or Dan can have a look to see if I'm close on it.

Lodge Scent
04-14-2014, 06:13 PM
A big congrats Kray on your first state copper. :congrats: The fact that it is a MA copper makes it special. Some folks have been dreaming for years to find a MA copper.