PDA

View Full Version : Fun Weekend of Detecting with DaddyDigger in St. Louis and Rural Illinois

Tony Two-Cent
04-13-2014, 08:13 PM
I drove down to Dave's neck of the woods for some metal detecting on Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday we hunted at some very old parks in St. Louis. At the first park I got a 1929 Merc pretty quickly, then a few wheat cents. We tried two more old parks but all I could manage was wheat cents and a couple of relics.

I went back to the hotel and got cleaned up and then headed over to Dave's house for dinner. Dave cooked pork steaks on the grill and his wife made baked potatoes, corn and cole slaw to go with them. Yummy! Who knew that Dave was a grill master? After dinner I enjoyed looking through Dave's collections of Cool Stuff.

Today (Sunday) we tried some small town parks and school yards in Illinois. At the first old school yard I found a 1947 Washington Quarter within 30 seconds of turning on my E-Trac. It was only about 8 feet from the car. After that I only found one wheat cent at this site so we moved on.

At the second school yard we hunted Dave had better luck than me and he got a couple of silvers, although I did find a neat 1955 Three Pence. After a while we moved on to another old school yard but didn't find much. At this point Dave decided to head home so we parted company. I stopped at an old park on the way home that I had hunted once before and found a 1945 Merc and two wheat cents.

It was a fun weekend and I sure do appreciate Dave and his wife inviting me to their home and feeding me an excellent meal. Thanks a million, Dave!

Here's Dave hunting at the old school where I found the 1947 Washington:

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

JdsCoins
04-13-2014, 08:36 PM
Awesome hunting Tony! That 1929 merc is stunning. :loveit:

I like the 3 pence too, I've always wanted to dig one of those multi-sided thick ones. Very cool. :grin:

Timewarpdigger
04-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Congrats on the finds and a great weekend. Safe & HH

Digger Don
04-13-2014, 09:43 PM
Sounds like you had a great weekend. Hunting with a friend, good eats and silver to boot. It don't get any better than that.

JdsCoins
04-14-2014, 12:44 AM
And Dave's been on fire so far this year. But he still can't buy an SLQ :teasing::rofl:

I need to get up that way for some good grillin' food. :yes:

Full Metal Digger
04-14-2014, 06:55 AM
Thanks for coming down Tony. I always enjoy our time MDing together. I'm glad you got a couple keepers. We enjoyed having you over and you and your family are welcome any time. I'm always looking for an excuse to fire up the grill! I do have one question though. Why did you make me wait in the car while you went into that coin store before we went MDing? :poke:

OxShoeDrew
04-14-2014, 07:06 AM
Looks like you had a fun and productive weekend. That writing pin is cute. How far was the drive?

AmxFred
04-14-2014, 07:31 AM
Very nice. Congrats!

RobW
04-14-2014, 08:31 AM
A pile of wheats and some silver to booT:thumbsup01:

Tony Two-Cent
04-14-2014, 10:21 AM
I do have one question though. Why did you make me wait in the car while you went into that coin store before we went MDing? :poke:

I would hope that if I were going to plant fake finds it would be something a little more impressive than common Mercs and a Washington! :teasing: :lol:

Full Metal Digger
04-14-2014, 01:59 PM
I would hope that if I were going to plant fake finds it would be something a little more impressive than common Mercs and a Washington! :teasing: :lol:

Well, it don't take much to out-do me! Seriously I really enjoyed MDing with you and look forward to our next trip! HH, Dave.

CTTodd
04-14-2014, 03:11 PM
nicely done

coinnut
04-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Nice '29 Merc Tony :shocked05:A beauty. It's amazing how many wheats are still in the ground. Love finding marbles, they are an extra treat:yes: