PDA

View Full Version : Question on finding unmapped cellar holes

BTV Digger
04-19-2014, 03:40 PM
To the experts out there,

I've got a question on finding unmapped cellar holes. I've seen a number of mentions/posts over the past 6 months that describe visiting cellar holes that "aren't on any map" in so many words. I'm just curious how you're finding them. Are you stumbling on them by chance in route to other known sites, getting info from, say, a private property owner, or some other method (unpublished local town maps, aerial imagery etc)? I had a friend make me a custom GoogleEarth .kml map of Vermont with all the Class 4 roads highlighted (really cool map by the way) and I use this to cross-reference the Beers/Wallings maps of the 1850s-1870s and and a VAST interactive snowmobile trail map to find old locations. This method has provided me more than enough potential sites to keep me busy for a long time. But these are mapped locations. Again, just curious about the unmapped ones you're discovering. Thanks in advance for any input and best regards.

BTV Digger

del
04-19-2014, 03:53 PM
BTV Digger , there are historical maps of just about every town or county in New England (and other areas and states too) most are around 1850's or 60's . Usually for every one home site listed on an old road or route theres probably one or two more not listed on the same road , or the original house site is somewhere else on the property of the one listed . take a walk along those roads and if you know what to look for you might find and extra site or two.

Dan

MangoAve
04-19-2014, 06:35 PM
Bvt, an addition to what Dan said: there were mostly maps I found for all the towns in CT in 1868. Then again in 1934. I could only find two or three from 1700's. Wikipedia had one for the entire state from that time. And one from Danbury. I heard of ghost towns which predate the maps too but those are private land. Some places I found by driving by...However those were on the maps. I just learned they were still standing with owners and possibly less trash. One area I found purely by mistake. I knew of a legend in CT. I looked near a town center as I saw the places on the old map...and in the woods in Google maps I saw the outlines of the rock walls. No I have not gone yet to the place to see if the holes exist. But for sure they are not on the 1868 map.

Oh, I only state my experience with how I found about places in ct. I am aware you are in vt, but not aware what year your state did their surveys. I wonder if u ever thought to go just a few miles below border to king Phillips cave. (Few know there is another king philips cave in ct)