PDA

View Full Version : Ferry to Long Island brings me War of 1812 Naval, Silver Half, Draped Bust and Gold

Thiltzy
04-20-2014, 03:07 PM
Dave and I had been planning a trip to Long Island for weeks. We were invited to detect some areas by Scott Newman and Todd Brush, two great hosts that welcomed us to some of their hunting spots out there.
I had to get up at 3:30 am to pick up Dave in order to make the first ferry out of port. We got a full day of hunting in and some great finds were made through out the day. The find of the day was made by Todd Brush with a beautiful find of an 1805 Draped Bust Silver Half!:shocked04: I think there was a total of 10 coppers found between five of us.

I was happy with my finds for the day which included an 1802 Draped Bust Large Cent, a modified Capped Bust Silver Half Dollar that had been cut into a shape of a shield, a gorgeous War of 1812 Naval button and a 17.5 gram 14k or 18k Gold Bracelet. The bracelet was an eyeball find I made while ground balancing my machine:shocked03:

It was great to meet Scott, Todd and Joe from Long Island some really great people.

pulltabsteve
04-20-2014, 05:42 PM
AWESOME! I love the 1802. That was the very first old coin I ever found. If I knew Dave was going to be on the Island, I would have rescanned my holes! :) Just kidding Dave. ;) I'll assume you guys were at a farm field. There are so many on the east end of the Island its just incredible at the acreage. Great hunt guys!

OxShoeDrew
04-20-2014, 05:49 PM
That is some day Todd! Does that modified coin have some sort of attachment on the back? Excellent hunt!:perfect10:

fsa46
04-20-2014, 06:17 PM
:congrats: on an outstanding hunt Todd. Some beautiful finds for sure.:drool:

Hunting in cob territory must have got the juices flowing. :yes:

kpmoose
04-20-2014, 06:30 PM
Very nice. As they say, "the early bird catches the worm"- or in your case the gold bracelet. That shield half dollar is cool. :cool:

Timewarpdigger
04-20-2014, 06:50 PM
Congrats for the finds. Looks like you had a awesome day.

BTV Digger
04-20-2014, 06:51 PM
Great finds Todd as always. You need to post at least one shot of junk as well, just to show us you're human man! ;)

BTV Digger

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-20-2014, 07:00 PM
great finds todd! love the shield punched out of the capped bust half dollar and the naval button.

Thiltzy
04-20-2014, 08:08 PM
Great finds Todd as always. You need to post at least one shot of junk as well, just to show us you're human man! ;)

BTV Digger
Believe me, there was so much garbage in the fields that Dave and I were emptying our pouches every hour on the hour. Besides, who wants to see piles of "can slaw" anyway:cheesysmile:

Thiltzy
04-20-2014, 08:10 PM
:congrats: on an outstanding hunt Todd. Some beautiful finds for sure.:drool:

Hunting in cob territory must have got the juices flowing. :yes: Thanks Frank. Believe me you Frank, cobbs and schillings were in the back of my mind:daydream:

Thiltzy
04-20-2014, 08:12 PM
Very nice. As they say, "the early bird catches the worm"- or in your case the gold bracelet. That shield half dollar is cool. :cool:Thanks Kevin, before I dug the half, I told Dave that I bet it would be a wheat penny because I just dug one and this target sounded similar. I was very surprised

Thiltzy
04-20-2014, 08:15 PM
That is some day Todd! Does that modified coin have some sort of attachment on the back? Excellent hunt!:perfect10: I thought there would be Drew butt I could only see what looks like 2 letters scratched into the back.
I was thinking maybe it was used as some sort of pin:dontknow::dontknow:

Digger Don
04-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Congrats, Those are great finds. It's always great to hunt with friends

Thiltzy
04-20-2014, 08:21 PM
great finds todd! love the shield punched out of the capped bust half dollar and the naval button. Thanks Dave and everyone else that I didn't reply to. I need to get some sleep:sleepy:

Tony Two-Cent
04-20-2014, 08:33 PM
Amazing finds, Todd! You are a machine! Wow, you consistently find incredible coins and relics. Love the 1802 Large Cent, the Bust Half that has been made into the shape of a shield, and the beautiful War of 1812 button!

Huge congrats on those terrific finds! :perfect10:

CTTodd
04-20-2014, 08:44 PM
That button is outstanding. Super finds

del
04-21-2014, 05:48 AM
you had a great time Todd !! the button is a bit later than 1812 I'm afraid . most i see are about just after to about 1820's , its in exceptional shape and a great button :perfect10: I would love to see the other side of the "shield half" they are rarely shown or worn upside down like that and I would suspect it was going to be worn right side up with the other side out. maybe it wasn't finished . great draped bust too. congrats on a fine hunt. :clapping::clapping:

giant056
04-21-2014, 06:42 AM
Fantastic bunch of finds you got there :thumbsup02: you sure find the good stuff there :grin:

Thiltzy
04-21-2014, 07:17 AM
you had a great time Todd !! the button is a bit later than 1812 I'm afraid . most i see are about just after to about 1820's , its in exceptional shape and a great button :perfect10: I would love to see the other side of the "shield half" they are rarely shown or worn upside down like that and I would suspect it was going to be worn right side up with the other side out. maybe it wasn't finished . great draped bust too. congrats on a fine hunt. :clapping::clapping:
Thanks for chiming in Dan as I always value your input. The back of the shield half dollar is smooth as I mentioned to Drew. I will post a pic of it tonight but there isn't much to see. Also, the brief research I did on the naval button listed as War of 1812 but you would know better than me. Btw Dan, did you get my private message I sent you last week?

The Rebel
04-21-2014, 08:43 AM
Awesome Finds Todd! Love the Shield Design. Really adds character to the pc!

RobW
04-21-2014, 09:17 AM
:shocked04:...The finds you guys make blows my mind!!!! And they are consistently phenomenal!!!:envious:

coinnut
04-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Location, location, location - that is what they always say and it shows. You have to be in an area that HAS Draped and Capped Bust Half dollars to actually find them. That location is not where I'm at :lol: You did really well. Pays to sift the trash!!

Lodge Scent
04-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Wow! Great finds! That shield is a killer piece :drool:

Bell-Two
04-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Wow that is a superior button...:wow: and the draped bust is great and the shield made from the half....great!

don in ny
04-24-2014, 05:49 AM
Those are great finds. The one that knocks me out is the Bust Half Dollar cut into the shape of a shield. That was a pretty high grade coin when that was done. I also found a decent 1802 LC last year and a Naval button of the same design although sitting on a thinner branch. Great find in coins and relics and then to throw in a gold bracelet makes for one fine day metal detecting. Congrats!

MangoAve
04-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Congrats on the finds. If it was an 1804 draped bust dollar I think you would be quitting your job and staying out every day to MD. Should have looked for the Captain Kidd treasure on Long Island while you were there, with the luck you had you might have found it.

Location, location, location - that is what they always say and it shows. You have to be in an area that HAS Draped and Capped Bust Half dollars to actually find them. That location is not where I'm at :lol: You did really well. Pays to sift the trash!!

George, yes. Research pays off really well. I wouldn't want to be up at 330a unless it was for a flight to a tropical island, but to get the finds like this, it was worth. It almost boils down to being lucky. I'd say Drew and I gave a real good effort last weekend, but we just didnt seem to put the coil where the coins were. I even found a really small piece of lead. I'd say based upon what we dug, there were areas fairly untouched so it's hard to believe the coins were gone aleady. I can't find when a local park was purchased by the town to be made into a park, but most likely sometime after 1950's, I probably have more chance finding a unicorn than finding a colonial coin there.