PDA

View Full Version : A few finds in the woods

BTV Digger
04-21-2014, 07:55 PM
Got a chance to hunt for about 2 hours this past Friday morning and headed for a few new cellar holes on my 2014 list. Ugh. Still 4" of snow on the ground, but alas these sites are at 1500' elevation so I went to a fallback site that's been heavily hunted through the years and directly on a well traveled village trail. Nothing too earth-shattering and no coins, but enough to call it a mild success. Items include a reigns guide, two old buckles, a music-box or harmonica reed, part of an old lantern, and a nice decorative suspender clip (pics below). House on an 1869 map and subsequently abandoned in the 1920s. No patent date on the suspender clip, but any clues on a date of such a design? Or am I basically relegated to saying anywhere from 1869 to the 1920s. :)

BTV Digger

del
04-21-2014, 08:05 PM
those D-buckles sound so nice , their a high target that shouldn't of been missed either one of them could of been a coin.

coinnut
04-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Hey nice digs. Check every part of that suspender buckle. Some of them have dates on the thin section where the teeth lay against. Some have letters that I think are the manufacturers and some are just plain. But I would place that buckle in the 1860's through 1880's as a guess. Check the round turning disc on that lantern piece as many of them have the patent date on the circle part. Glad you got out and I can't believe you still have snow :frozen:

BTV Digger
04-21-2014, 08:20 PM
Hey nice digs. Check every part of that suspender buckle. Some of them have dates on the thin section where the teeth lay against. Some have letters that I think are the manufacturers and some are just plain. But I would place that buckle in the 1860's through 1880's as a guess. Check the round turning disc on that lantern piece as many of them have the patent date on the circle part. Glad you got out and I can't believe you still have snow :frozen:

Thanks much for the input Coinnut. I'll check those spots out for patent dates. So nice to tap the wealth of knowledge on this site. FYI the snow IS finally gone now below 1500 feet (lost it this past weekend), so headed out tomorrow morning to hit a few of the more obscure sites in my county for a few hours.

BTV Digger

BTV Digger
04-21-2014, 08:21 PM
those D-buckles sound so nice , their a high target that shouldn't of been missed either one of them could of been a coin.

Completely agree Dan. Also those iron rings! Saw your recent post regarding those buggers. They sure do sound sweet in the ground.

Timewarpdigger
04-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Nice finds, congrats.

giant056
04-22-2014, 04:08 AM
Nice bunch of relics you found there :thumbsup01:

Bell-Two
04-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Nice suspender buckle, I love finding those. And those iron and brass rings...sound good....but! :lolsign: