PDA

View Full Version : Hometown farm field only turns out with relics

MangoAve
04-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Today I went out to a set of farm fields to do some detecting. Took a vaca day for work cuz a 3 day weekend wasn't long enough. I know the farm existed back in the 1700's, but I don't know how many of the fields existed back then. The finds tended to be mostly slugs and bottles. Found 4 slugs, three different kinds which were fmj. Two more shot gun shells, and two large nails. No coins yet again. But I found some cobalt blue milk of magnesia bottles, an old ink bottle, and a cobalt blue triangular Norwich bottle. Apparently the Norwich are rare bottles used for poison which are worth anywhere from $10 to $7000. And also a real old vacuum tube from tung-sol. Pics will follow.

Timewarpdigger
04-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Congrats you picked a great weather weekend to use that vaca day for. Safe & HH

giant056
04-22-2014, 04:16 AM
Cool :cool:

MangoAve
04-22-2014, 06:44 AM
Pics as promised. I think the small green bottle was for cosmetic cream. Some was left inside..no I did not try it out.38423384243842538426

Skamaniac
04-22-2014, 10:42 AM
I like finding items not generally thought of in relation to metal detecting. Love the bottles!

aloldstuff
04-22-2014, 04:32 PM
:congrats:on your hunting. I also like to find that occasional bottle, especially cobalt blue ones.

del
04-22-2014, 05:06 PM
Hey Jim the glass looks like early 1920's or 30's era cobalt , not a bad find as its great looking colored glass. Fields remember are hit or miss , you could be walking around for hours and not hit on much but some nice items can be lost in them too. I personally like to listen for the old wrought iron and then work around and through it slowly when i find some.

kpmoose
04-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Those are some cool looking bottles. Now, only if one of them was filled with coins...

MangoAve
04-23-2014, 06:32 AM
Hey Jim the glass looks like early 1920's or 30's era cobalt , not a bad find as its great looking colored glass. Fields remember are hit or miss , you could be walking around for hours and not hit on much but some nice items can be lost in them too. I personally like to listen for the old wrought iron and then work around and through it slowly when i find some.

With the screw tops? I think I read somewhere online a way to date bottles and it involves the seam, the top, and the markings on the bottom. Most of the bottles I found all say made in the USA. I know I found some before that had the thick tops with either cork or crimped caps. They had imprinted about Federal law prohibits reuse or resale of the bottle. That was from prohibition, but was still put on bottles until the 60's.
As far as fields, that was the second time doing a field. I could try to look up property to tell you acreage, but I can just tell you theres maybe 5 areas that are individual fields, two of the ridiculously long barns, and two fields separated by wooded areas. I checked mainly the separate fields and the two closest to those areas. I wasn't thorough as in I covered maybe 1/8 of the areas of each. Maybe someone knows whether finds tend to be in the middle or edges of fields.

Those are some cool looking bottles. Now, only if one of them was filled with coins...

Yeah.. maybe some gold coins like the couple in California. Not have to work again.. :daydream:

Bell-Two
04-23-2014, 10:15 AM
Looks like you had a good time, bottles and Indian artifacts can be a bonus to field hunts.