PDA

View Full Version : Those other digging knives or tool

woodchuck
05-30-2010, 11:34 AM
I know most people use the leshe digging knife or tool.For me they are a little to pricey.Thought at one time i did own one,that was a while back.But now that i'm back into metal detecting,I wanted something different.I think I came up with two digging tools that will fit my needs aka known as digging knives,soil knives,weeding knives.Both are stainless steel,both have a straight edge and serrated edge blades,and both have have nice wooden handles.Yet they are both different in shape and style.I came up with the Chelsea Edge Knife and the Nisaku digging soil knife. One has a more refined blade,and one has a very aggressive blade.One is a shorter blade and one has a nice long digging blade.One is straight bladed and the other has a concave blade.All in all I think I came up with two tools that will fit the bill for MDetecting,digging and other chores has needed. :happydance01: :smitten:

coinnut
05-31-2010, 09:51 AM
I wonder what they look like? Some knives can be a bit much around parks and schools. They may even draw unwanted Police attention lol But at a house or in the woods, almost anything is OK provided it is strong enough. Glad you found something you could use without breaking the bank :yes:

Lowjiber
05-31-2010, 01:07 PM
I've seen the Nisaku knive. They're really nice.

However, I would hate &quot:daydream:ne-Bullet-Barney to see me pull one out in a park. They look very lethal when compared to a Lesche.

The only drawback I noticed about the Nisaku was a lack of a hand guard. Perhaps the one you have is different.

hobbes_lives
05-31-2010, 09:45 PM
I actually use an old stainless steel diving knife that I've had for ages.

Huntnfind
06-13-2010, 03:00 AM
Yeah, that Nisaku looks deadly. I really want one, but I don't know where I would ever use it... A Lesche on the other hand doesn't look as cool, which is a good thing sometimes I suppose.

woodchuck
06-15-2010, 06:40 PM
You would use it for cutting you plugs,and digging up all that loot you find with you MD.You would use in place of your leshe that you can't afford.Or tunneling out in a prison break,chopping a hole in ice,defense again a wild boar in woods,digging a crapper hole in woods.I don't know use your imagination. :bop: :behave: :interesting: <:

RaZR
01-09-2011, 05:22 PM
I use an Ames True Temper stainless digging tool from Ace hardware.
http://www.amestruetemper.com/products/detail.aspx?ProductId=1329&FamilyId=11&LineId=6
Pretty inexpensive. And plenty tough.

RounderRick
01-20-2011, 06:41 PM
I been using the ames planter tool about 3 years now and have seen several posts of ones not liking it but I have never had a bit of trouble with mine.
I've also done some pretty heavy prying with it to and so far so good no complaints here for around 15 bucks or less at lowes it's the best I've found in the stores around here.

psychposse
01-20-2011, 07:21 PM
I enjoy seeing what digging tools others use - it gives me ideas as to what I might create (always been a metal fabricator/welder)

I used to use a simple flatbar/prybar, but now I prefer the Lesche as my primary digger. The prybar is still my back-up and if you have never used one or don't have one in your arsenal, you might want to consider it. It is absolutely awesome in rocky ground.

[size=4]Prybar (http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-55-515-12-inch-Wonderbar-Pry/dp/B00002X1XT/ref=sr_1_3?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1295568895&sr=1-3)

giant056
01-20-2011, 07:25 PM
I know a guy who uses a knife for diggin and get's hassled all the time. People call the cops on him about it too, but he still uses it and they never took it away from him. Some woman called the cops on me before and I was hunting public land and totally legal, they called the cops and said there was a suspicious character wandering around the area and when the cop showed up she came up behind me and kind of startled me and said I can't believe someone called you in as a suspicious looking character, it's obvious what you are doing here and she left.

psychposse
01-20-2011, 07:58 PM
....she came up behind me and kind of startled me and said I can't believe someone called you in as a suspicious looking character, it's obvious what you are doing here and she left.

Ha Ha Haaaa rofl 'Gun drawn' &quot:grin:rop your Digging Knife! (and that gold ring)

Lot of people are naive - paranoid - these days. They just don't apply any critical thinking to the situation, before they react.

RounderRick
01-20-2011, 09:46 PM
I know a guy who uses a knife for diggin and get's hassled all the time. People call the cops on him about it too, but he still uses it and they never took it away from him. Some woman called the cops on me before and I was hunting public land and totally legal, they called the cops and said there was a suspicious character wandering around the area and when the cop showed up she came up behind me and kind of startled me and said I can't believe someone called you in as a suspicious looking character, it's obvious what you are doing here and she left.

lol Reckon she was the one that called them might be possible she had a police scanner and heard the dispatch.
But yeah some would be like that. lol

rodbuster
01-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Has anyone tried a Malco duct knife, they are very sharp and rugged. It comes with a nylon shealth and cost around 12.00 + tax.I have a Lesche digger and have used it for years but I wanted to try something different. As far as having it out in the field I have never had a problem,I keep it in the pouch until I need it. I think if you are not walking around with it in your hand you won't scare someone . This knife has done a great job of cutting plugs and tree roots, and yes the police have seen me with it. Like I said, keep it in it's pouch until needed. thumbsup01

giant056
01-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Ha Ha Haaaa rofl 'Gun drawn' &quot:grin:rop your Digging Knife! (and that gold ring)

Lot of people are naive - paranoid - these days. They just don't apply any critical thinking to the situation, before they react.
Nah she was more worried about all the skeeters attacking her more than anything, she was really nice and quite a looker I must say :yes:

Nitro 54
01-23-2011, 02:42 PM
I'll stick with my Lesche, it doesn't look to much like a weapon.. lol lol

BOWSER
09-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Icame across a guy older than me which is hard to do, he has ben using a whites classic sl and a steak knife for years he says. thumbsup01

mgtmadness
11-07-2011, 09:06 AM
I was walking to the store a few days ago and I seen on the side of the road a piece of a broken leaf spring and it was maybe 14 inches long or so. I was thinking What a great digger that would make! If I only had the tools to make it into a Digger.
I may have to go look for it now, it is only a mile and a half down the hill into town a little bit.