PDA

View Full Version : Old school, new school, one...wth?

MangoAve
04-23-2014, 07:18 AM
Having the old maps and knowing town history, I know there only stands one remaining school house out of 12 districts. Looking map over again and comparing to google maps now, I see there is an area next to a new school where the old school once stood. It looks like the school stood where there is a small field area next to a play ground. There is a small section, like three squares, that remain of an older sidewalk.

It started with a ton of old pull tabs from the 70's between 2 and 4 inches deep. Not sure if it was from new top soil that already had trash in it. Then finally something.. clad ranging from 1965 up to 1993. I was surprised to find a penny read in the 80 range and then I was gonna skip a 60 ish reading thinking it was another pull tab but it turned out to be another penny. Pull tabs were reading in the nickel zone. However I found one thing I cannot quite understand. I can put a pic if someone needs. I was getting a reading like a 50 cent, $1 coin. I knew it was a real signal. Thinking back to two weekends ago and people finding Kennedy's, I was thinking I found the same. I dug it up and I see it was just a bit bigger. But it's thinner. It is exactly the diameter of an Eisenhower $1 (or a morgan silver), but it's like the inner layer. I know conduit cutouts are round-ish, but one side is always flat. This is perfectly round. There are such things as sheet metal cutouts used for jewelry, but there is no hole in this. It's non-ferrous; I already checked with a magnet to verify but the redish color seems like some copper content. There are no markings. Even a school award or token would have some markings. To remove the silver layers from a coin would have to be done intentionally. Any ideas?

Full Metal Digger
04-23-2014, 10:19 AM
A picture or two will be very helpful!

MangoAve
04-23-2014, 04:38 PM
Here are the pics. The first includes the peace and Eisenhower dollars. The second is the piece almost covering the Eisenhower. Be aware I intentionally put the piece offset to the coin as if it was centered you would not see the coin. The first pic almost plays tricks as all three are the same diameter, 1.5" or 38.1 mm. The piece almost appears to have like a fabric pattern on the surface. And obviously it looks like it's made out of an alloy from copper. But be aware the piece is thinner than the coins. Maybe 1/3-1/2 as thick.

del
04-23-2014, 05:09 PM
:thinkingabout::thinkingabout:its very smooth on both sides Jim ?? it has a tarnished look but barely any green patina that come with a lot of age of it being in the ground around here. its very large diameter suggests maybe a horse rosette as there are only a couple of copper coins that big , like a cartwheel two pence but they are pretty thick .

MangoAve
04-23-2014, 07:13 PM
Yes, both sides are smooth which is what made me first think just a conduit punch out. But I have installed a few boxes where I needed to remove those punch outs and I know the side where it was attached is flat from folding a few times. It was put into peroxide, then wiped, but it still looks almost the same as it did coming out of the ground. My spare 12v motorcycle size battery is dead do I can't zap it.

Lol. I found so many of those horse rosettes when i was young as there was stable/equestrian farm behind the house.

Digger Don
04-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Excellent finds. I dream of the day that I find a silver dollar. Coingrats :congrats: