PDA

View Full Version : I think I actually found a colonial coin here in Michigan

giant056
04-23-2014, 08:21 AM
It's my oldest coin ever in the 20+ years that I've been detecting, I'm not exactly sure if it's a King George II or III, the date looks like a 1753 but the coin is pretty much toast. I'm still kinda geeked over finding it though even though it's not worth anything I wouldn't sell it anyway. Some of you guys know a lot more about the colonial coins than I do, maybe you can give me an idea of what it really is.

Here's where I was detecting, it's located on the old asylum work farm here, not sure how far back that goes but the spot where I found the coin is a spot where I've found a few really old flat buttons in the past.

Here is everything that I kept

She's a crusty one, but it's been in the ground for many moons I'm sure

Check out this big tom I came across as I was detecting towards my destination the flat button spot.

I left this stashed in a secret spot in the woods in case I decide I want to keep it, I really didn't want to look like the grim reaper walking out of the woods :grin:

I found the knife soon after I first got there and it surprised me how good the wood handle was.

coinnut
04-23-2014, 09:40 AM
Hard to tell but it almost looks like a Connecticut copper. Maybe it's my eyes :lol: but I thought I could see CONN on one part. Either way, it's colonial and a great find :clapping:

The Rebel
04-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Great hunt! Looks to be a KGII (Bust Facing Left).

Check this site out: http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinText/Br-Copper.2.html

aloldstuff
04-23-2014, 01:21 PM
What ever it is, the wait of 20 years for a colonial coin is over. :congrats:

Lodge Scent
04-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Cool find Giant. Very cool considering where you fond it. :congrats:I am thinking I can see "CONNEC".

del
04-23-2014, 04:42 PM
:shocked03::wow: Larry , you got yourself a Connecticut copper , I definitely see the "onne" in "connec" along the 1 to 3 o'clock area of the second picture. It would date from 1785 to 1788 , if you also found some large old buttons from that area you might have a very early home site or trading post (being along a river) .it will be difficult to get a variety because of the dirt and condition but i'll give it a shot. huge congrats Larry :perfect10: great an almost impossible coin to find from your area.

Dan

OxShoeDrew
04-23-2014, 05:06 PM
:rofl: I immediately thought it was a CT copper. I swear....the only part of that coin to hold up is the CONNEC. Your reverse is better than most. Great find!! Love the sickle too!

del
04-23-2014, 05:12 PM
:rofl: I immediately thought it was a CT copper. I swear....the only part of that coin to hold up is the CONNEC. Your reverse is better than most. Great find!! Love the sickle too!

I agree Drew and you can still see the lower part of the B in LIB on the reverse in the lower right (around the 4 o'clock position) of the first picture.

OxShoeDrew
04-23-2014, 05:36 PM
I agree Drew and you can still see the lower part of the B in LIB on the reverse in the lower right (around the 4 o'clock position) of the first picture. wow, you have good eyes...I see it now, after you point it out. But what variety? :lol:

giant056
04-23-2014, 05:45 PM
That's even neater than the British coin, thanks a lot guys for response, I can see the CONNE on it now that I know the years that they were made it looks more like it could be a 1787 in the pic. I've got it in olive oil along with a 1853 large cent that I found today in the same area as the Connecticut copper. I've always wondered if there were any colonial coins to be found around here and now I know, very cool :grin:

giant056
04-23-2014, 05:59 PM
:shocked03::wow: Larry , you got yourself a Connecticut copper , I definitely see the "onne" in "connec" along the 1 to 3 o'clock area of the second picture. It would date from 1785 to 1788 , if you also found some large old buttons from that area you might have a very early home site or trading post (being along a river) .it will be difficult to get a variety because of the dirt and condition but i'll give it a shot. huge congrats Larry :perfect10: great an almost impossible coin to find from your area.

Dan
Now that you mentioned the trading post I believe that I have read some history about a trading post that was on the property where they had the farm prior to the Sanitarium being built in 1838 I think, I'm going to have to try finding that info again. I think it might even be on the history of the hospital itself.

Timewarpdigger
04-23-2014, 06:36 PM
A very nice variety of finds. Always keeps the digging interesting. Congrats

Digger Don
04-23-2014, 08:50 PM
Wow, what an excellent find. Congrats

Longhair
04-23-2014, 09:36 PM
Amazing! Who'd have ever thought that a Connecticut copper would make it into our neighborhood?
Great find! Congratulations!

The Rebel
04-24-2014, 09:56 AM
:shocked03::wow: Larry , you got yourself a Connecticut copper , I definitely see the "onne" in "connec" along the 1 to 3 o'clock area of the second picture.
Dan

Dan you've got a good set of eyes! Wow if that CT could only talk to tell us how it got way out there!

MangoAve
04-24-2014, 11:39 AM
I was going back and forth trying to make sure it didn't say "OMMO" from common wealth for the Mass copper, but it definitly is the CT copper based on whats left of the woman above the date. It looks like it might be 1787. Guessing it got there from migration. It's definitely been in the ground for a while so it's not like someone moved there having it as part of a personal coin collection and lost it. Congrats tho... You got one even if that far from original colonies.

milco
04-24-2014, 08:13 PM
Colonial's do not often appear west of Ohio, so congrats on your find!

Fire Fighter 43
04-26-2014, 07:12 PM
Congrats on a great find and that is one big Tom Turkey. How do you like the TRX?