PDA

View Full Version : Restoration of 'Long Live the King' button

Mayadigger
04-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Ave!

Here's another delightful piece just finished -

The 33mm button was soaked in full-strength Mint State Restoration solution for just one hour, then scrubbed with a toothbrush on both sides. The final cleaning of the gold-leafed legend was accomplished with a Dremel mini-soft bristle brass brush under running water. Ren waxed and buffed.38448

Best to all,

Kevin

del
04-23-2014, 05:22 PM
much improvement Kevin , some spots of that verdigris looked like the very hard and stubborn type . I like how that Mint State Restoration solution took most of the "green" off but didn't strip the button of its aged color on the metal , these buttons are usually a copper-alloy and it still has that nice "aged toned appearance" . great job on saving the gilt too :perfect10:

keep the cleaning examples coming , love seeing your results.

Dan

Mayadigger
04-23-2014, 07:10 PM
Ave Del!

Ave Dan,

Here's the deal -

We could have used a number of different diamond-dusted Dremel rubber tools in various grades to smooth off the remaining encrustations until the surface was as smooth as a baby's bottom, and re-patinated it but decided to back off. Sometimes it's best to just clean enough, without going too far. Does that make sense? Zero re-patination was added to the button.
Best,
Kevin

del
04-23-2014, 07:28 PM
Ave Del!

Ave Dan,

Sometimes it's best to just clean enough, without going too far. Does that make sense?

thats what its all about Kevin , little increments and knowing when to stop .

its what i stress to the new people when doing something like that . well done

survivorjp
02-17-2015, 10:58 AM
Hi, I am scared to death of trying to improve a very very rare button I found last week, but I am interested if I can do it and enhance the value for sale, this is a button known as the Hornets Nest Rifle Corps button which is famous ecause of the 1st regiment company B of the so called bethel unit of North Carolina, and according to Tice Nc 254a1 this button is worth over 7,000., what should I do, Thanks in advance for your advice, Jimmy (US Navy 19654599745998-71)

del
02-17-2015, 04:42 PM
nothing ... if your plans are to sale it at some point , most collectors would rather have them in their natural patina .

survivorjp
02-17-2015, 04:56 PM
Thank you Del, I will not touch it, as a mater of fact I currently have it wrapped in sterile cotton and in a small leather case and locked up in my gun safe. Thank you so much for your advice. Jimmy

del
02-17-2015, 05:03 PM
No problem Jimmy , hey they make some great cases to house your buttons . they are actually gemstone cases but they fit buttons perfectly too , protect them and your able to see and enjoy'em too.

Dan

Pacivilwarluke
02-18-2015, 11:25 AM
That button sure cleaned up nice! I love the highlighting on the words from the gilt! And JP, that button is Incredible!! :congrats:

survivorjp
02-19-2015, 06:56 AM
That button sure cleaned up nice! I love the highlighting on the words from the gilt! And JP, that button is Incredible!! :congrats: Thanks Pacivilwarluke, I am still on cloud nine, I don't think I could ever find anything rarer than this, it's a once in a lifetime and even more rare than most any CSA Plate!! Woo Hoooo !!