PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum, so I thought I'd share some of my stuff

Greg408
04-24-2014, 04:26 PM
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and in my first post some of you asked me to post some of the things I've found, so I thought I'd post a few of my favorite finds from this year:

I think my best/favorite hunt I've been on was my first time at a site that I had read about on a local area history website, pinpointed on a map, and then proceeded to dig my first Walker and SLQ within about 30 feet of eachother. That hunt inspired me to upgrade my detector to a VX3 (from my XLT), but hasn't produced much more than a merc, buff, and v-nickel. I think there's more out there though.

My most valuable find so far, I think, is the 12 gram gold ring (14k) that I picked out of a park in San Francisco after getting pretty much skunked for most of the day. I thought I had big fingers, but man, the guy who lost this ring has some tree trunks. Here's a pic with my own wedding ring (size 10) for comparison and one of it cleaned up a bit:

38465 38470

Potentially the most fulfilling individual find is (or rather will be) the UC Santa Cruz class ring that I dug a few weeks ago and am in the process of locating the owner. This will be my first return, so I'm hoping it goes well. I'm guessing I'm going to feel a bit like Frodo (or Bilbo) Baggins when it comes time to hand it over because it is kinda precious, but I know it's the right thing to do. Here's a pic:

Thanks for looking!

greg

del
04-24-2014, 04:32 PM
some outstanding finds Greg :perfect10: and yes my neck is a bit sore but the drool doesn't roll down my chin though :rofl: the large ring has a great design and I wish you luck on the "Return of the Ring" ;) keep us updated on the results , thanks for showing us the pictures.

Dan

Greg408
04-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Thanks Dan! I fixed the image and now your post sounds funny, sorry 'bout that!. To provide context for anyone else looking, I originally had the images sideways and jokingly apologized for any crimps in the neck that may result from looking at them...

I should also note that both of those rings rang through in the low 50s on my VX3, which is a tone/id that I often dismiss as a zinc or bottle cap. Glad I dug them both, though!

del
04-24-2014, 04:59 PM
nice fix on them pictures Greg , Indians sound in the 50's also like bottle cap , in fact a lot of good items can fall into them id's . i've even had some nice fat rings read into the 60's before but not often , just never know what your going to find next.

coinnut
04-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Nice looking rings :loveit: Hope the return works out well for you. I love Standing Liberty Quarters, but they don't come up very often. Some nice silver and gold Greg!

Timewarpdigger
04-24-2014, 07:24 PM
Those are some really nice finds, congrats. Hope you have continued success. Safe & HH

Digger Don
04-24-2014, 08:12 PM
Very nice, Good luck finding the owner of the ring.
Congrats on the silver

Tony Two-Cent
04-24-2014, 08:19 PM
Wow, those are some beautiful finds! :loveit:

Thanks for sharing them with us. That ring is HUGE! :shocked04:

Nice older Walking Liberty Half. It seems that ones from the 1920s don't turn up very often. I love the SLQ too, they're one of my favorite coins. It looks like yours is 1920?

Good luck with the return of the class ring, I hope that all works out. :thumbsup02:

KCFindIt
04-25-2014, 04:17 AM
Impressive. Beautiful coins, beautiful rings. Hope the owner of the ring appreciates your kind gesture.

giant056
04-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Those are some beauties and good luck on the return :thumbsup02:

chief5709
04-25-2014, 09:32 AM
Welcome to the forum. Nice finds there! :congrats: