PDA

View Full Version : Secrets of Writing a Good Permission Letter

danhughes
04-25-2014, 08:33 AM
http://danhughes.net/148letter.jpg

Writing a letter to ask permission to hunt private property is usually a bad idea, because it seldom works.

But sometimes there is no other way.

So if you do have to write a letter, what should you say?

More importantly, what should you NEVER say?

The secrets of giving yourself the highest odds possible when you HAVE to write that letter are waiting for you at http://thetreasurecorner.com.

giant056
04-25-2014, 09:06 AM
Dan do you ever go metal detecting? If so how come you never post finds?

danhughes
04-25-2014, 09:40 AM
Hi Giant!

You've outed me! It's been a long time since my last really good find. I can't see posting photos of finds unless they are really special; after a while, they all start to look pretty much alike. (And if I made the REALLY BIG find, nobody would ever know about it but me!)

I worked in radio for 14 years, then I taught radio to others for 26 years, and (BRAG ALERT) many of my students have been successful beyond their wildest dreams.

Similarly, I detected hard and heavy for 30 years, then I started teaching others what I had learned. I started writing for the magazines (Western & Eastern Treasures, Treasure Search, and Treasure Quest) in 1977, and finally wrote my book after I retired from teaching.

I'm an old guy now (I'm even on Social Security!), and I don't detect like I used to. But I love the hobby as much as ever, and I stay involved mostly by communicating with active treasure hunters, doing a lot of reading on the subject, and doing my every-other-week podcast.

Thanks for asking!

And by the way, I'm also heavily into old-time radio (Jack Benny, the Shadow), and there's a group in Kalamazoo that performs radio shows on stage (headed by a guy named Don Ramlow) that is absolutely fantastic. I've never had the opportunity to visit, but Kalamazoo has a fantastic reputation as an arts center, and I hope you realize what a treasure you have there!

Full Metal Digger
04-25-2014, 03:37 PM
That was lots of good information Dan. Your advice was spot-on and could also be applied to asking in person. The only thing missing from the example letter in your podcast was the custom designed letterhead depicting shovels and chests of dubloons! LOL. HH, Dave.

danhughes
04-28-2014, 06:47 AM
The only thing missing from the example letter in your podcast was the custom designed letterhead depicting shovels and chests of dubloons! LOL. HH, Dave.

Excellent idea, Dave! But your letterhead is even more impressive if it carries a photo of you operating a huge backhoe, digging 20 or 30 feet down into someone's back yard. This idea has gotten me access to many properties that had been off limits earlier.

Dave, you're a nut. Thank you.