PDA

View Full Version : It's been a while

z118
04-27-2014, 08:50 PM
Like the title says... it was a long, long winter here in Upstate NY. I wasn't able to get out digging until early April due to snow and frozen ground. Even then I've only been out a handful of times as work and life overall have been very, very busy. I did spend a few hunts at a new spot which gave up many wheats and bullets and a lonely silver Rosie. I also got in some nice hunts with my father in New England over the Easter weekend. My best luck of the young season came today however, when I spent a few quiet hours in cool temps and bright sun at a small local park. Conditions were difficult but I was rewarded with a 34 quarter, a 36 dime, and a sadly crushed sterling silver match case (I believe it is called a vesta case).

The pics include more or less everything of note thus far this year, minus the clad and junk.

Happy hunting!

Digger Don
04-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Wow, what a great start to the season. Congrats

giant056
04-28-2014, 12:16 AM
Fantastic bunch of finds you got so far :thumbsup02: yes the winter was brutal all over I think, the summer is going to be a really cool one by the looks of it too.

...................................... :congrats:

del
04-28-2014, 02:57 AM
wow :shocked05: stranger ;) , how ya been and hows your dad doing , I don't believe we've seen him on yet??

congrats on all the silver an wheats , the match case is a beautiful piece looks very "art noveau" in style , very early 1910's or 20's perhaps. i bet a jeweler can straighten it out for you. nice old button and hey an oxknob too.:bananadance:

great to hear from you again Matt.

Dan

MangoAve
04-28-2014, 07:07 AM
A ton of digging and a fair amount of silver. I thought slugs would be a hard thing to find... I was wrong last weekend and obvi you proved there are a ton out there. Apparently people shooting these guns are horrible shots. :lol: . Altho I find it weird the full ones you found, the shells looked crimped.

Tony Two-Cent
04-28-2014, 08:13 AM
Nice to see a post from you, Matt! I bet you're glad to be out and digging after that long winter. It looks like you're off and running too, great bunch of finds there especially the two silver quarters from the 1930s.

That silver match case is really beautiful, even though it's smashed a little. That's a big hunk of silver and I love the detail on it. Maybe Dan is right about a jeweler being able to straighten it out for you. Very cool find!

:congrats:

Timewarpdigger
04-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Nice variety of finds. I like the case hope you can get it repaired. Congrats

coinnut
04-29-2014, 07:20 PM
Hey, nice to see you digging again. Looks like it's a pretty good start. Nice looking match case.:loveit: I found a similar one from the same time period. That is a beautiful '19 Merc. Makes you just imagine how it was to see the new dimes, quarters, and halves come out when they were made of silver. :daydream:

aloldstuff
04-30-2014, 04:38 PM
Great pile of keepers so far this year. That match case is a beauty and I hope you can get it straightened out. :congrats:

pulltabsteve
04-30-2014, 04:58 PM
That match case is a very cool find! :thumbsup02: Love the rosary medal too!:clapping: