PDA

View Full Version : A few more finds from the woods

BTV Digger
05-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Went to some new sites last Friday (a week ago) along an abandoned road (now a snowmobile trail). Several cellar holes, but man were they infested by iron...unreal. My Fisher F2 struggled and I'm sure some of you more seasoned veterans could pull some better stuff out of these sites, but I'll take what I can get with my starter machine. About 4 hours of hunting but did manage 3/4 of an old crotal bell, 2 axe heads (1 broken...not shown), buckle, another reigns guide (man those things seem common) and an early flat disc button with some sort of basket weave design on the front (no backmark). I'm not gonna show my trash so feel free to give me a hard time if you feel so inclined :), but take it from me it was about 2 lbs of iron, mainly from 2-5 in diameter rings and a few sardine cans. Man those things sound good in the ground don't they? For those button aficionados out there, any idea on a rough period for the flat button? From an initial guess I would definitely say 1800s just given the dates of the sites alone, but some research suggests it may be from the earlier part of that century. Pics follow.

Regards,

BTV Digger

38668 386693867038667

chief5709
05-02-2014, 11:08 AM
Stick to it. The more you use your detector the better you will get plus if you pull out all of the iron you're bound to find some more goodies hidden among the "junk" Look at all of Dave's pixs he digs plenty of junk to get at the good stuff. As for the button I would guess early to mid 1800's but I bet Dan can put a closer date to it.

Bell-Two
05-02-2014, 04:27 PM
That is a nice button and I would consider it a good hunt if I came home with it!

giant056
05-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Yep that button is a nice one indeed, neat patina too :grin:

Timewarpdigger
05-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Congrats for the finds. Like the button, nice. Safe & HH

CTTodd
05-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Like the button. Good for you

kpmoose
05-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Nice looking button. The shank looks perfect.

Skamaniac
05-02-2014, 10:45 PM
Some nice finds there. Trash can be aggravating, but it's unavoidable. I got so much trash the other day I couldn't carry it all out! I have to go back on my next days off with a couple of gunny sacks or something to clean up the site.

del
05-02-2014, 10:51 PM
BTV Digger if the button is about the size of a quarter or just a bit smaller its probably late 1700's , it the "D" buckle and crotal bell are all high targets . a good sign at a cellar site . yes the iron is usually pretty overwhelming just around the cellar , you'll get better at finding some of the goodies with practice , going slow and trying a small coil. if it seems a bit to much try just outside the iron infested area and work the fringes. you did good:clapping:

OxShoeDrew
05-03-2014, 12:14 AM
That bell looks a bit different from the ones I've seen. You got a good sized one too :thumbsup01:
Yeah, old iron round objects sound nice. :(

Lodge Scent
05-03-2014, 03:41 PM
Always nice when you can pull a few goodies from the iron :thumbsup01:

BTV Digger
05-03-2014, 04:13 PM
That bell looks a bit different from the ones I've seen. You got a good sized one too :thumbsup01:
Yeah, old iron round objects sound nice. :(

Yeah, I checked out a few resources online and the bell does appear to be a rather uncommon type (only two holes). For a makers mark I can only make out the letter "W" on the bottom and that's it, since the rest is missing. Thanks for the comment.

BTV Digger