PDA

View Full Version : 1820 Large Cent

don in ny
05-05-2014, 08:11 AM
Hit a nearby park that's been hunted extensively for 30 years. I went in and hiked to get to where most people don't want to hike to. It paid off with an 1820 LC. It's kind of toasted, but still has a date. Hiking was tough up and down ridges and through wetlands, but with all the detecting pressure this place has received over the years you just have to go to where the other people don't want to. It's like that in any large park. People get to the parking lot and start swinging their detectors the minute they hit the grass. Although these outlying areas didn't get as much traffic from the public, they get far less from those with a detector. If you want to score in hunted out areas go where you don't see others with detectors and then go real slow. I drew a diagram :)

38757 38758

Longhair
05-05-2014, 08:19 AM
Good score Don! :thumbsup01:

You're lucky to have parks that large, that old, on ground worth hunting, and where you're allowed to detect.

don in ny
05-05-2014, 08:39 AM
Actually, the last time I was at this park when I got back to the parking lot a local police officer pulled up and asked how we did. We showed him some of our stuff and he said he walks the place on occasion looking for arrowheads. He said detecting was no problem as long as we didn't make a mess and covered our holes. The guy I was with found a 1718 2 reale in this park 20+ years ago. It was also a camp during the revolution and an occasional musket ball comes up. It has been hunted over and over and over, but I still pulled a LC so there are things left. The park is 236 acres so you just have to get way back in the woods with some tough hiking.

The Rebel
05-05-2014, 08:42 AM
WTG on the LC Score!

MangoAve
05-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Haha. Maybe if I found areas where people haven't got to yet, too, I would find some old coins. Nice score tho.

aloldstuff
05-05-2014, 06:01 PM
We have no parks that size in my area. We're lucky to have a park the size of a city block. Huge :congrats:on scoring that LC and for having the smarts to go where most people don't.

don in ny
05-05-2014, 06:53 PM
We have no parks that size in my area. We're lucky to have a park the size of a city block. Huge :congrats:on scoring that LC and for having the smarts to go where most people don't.

How far are you from Lenox, MA? If I lived anywhere in western MA I would certainly spend a lot of time here. Old carriage roads and 15 miles of trails sound plenty big to me. http://lenox.org/kennedy-park/ Also, according to the 1890 map with this next link it seems a lot was going on a long time ago. http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~26505~1100438:2--Pittsfield-sheet-?sort=pub_list_no_initialsort%2Cpub_date%2Cpub_lis t_no%2Cseries_no&qvq=q:pittsfield%2Bmass;sort:pub_list_no_initialso rt%2Cpub_date%2Cpub_list_no%2Cseries_no;lc:RUMSEY~ 8~1&mi=1&trs=8

Digger Don
05-05-2014, 10:30 PM
It may be toasted, but still a Great find..:congrats:

del
05-06-2014, 05:35 AM
the large cent shows some really great detail Don , I agree getting to where few have been is key to pounded sites. congrats

Timewarpdigger
05-06-2014, 07:36 AM
Congrats. Did the same thing when I found my first LC. Safe &HH