PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Help a Friend ID a Copper

milco
05-05-2014, 10:31 AM
A friend of mine found this copper at a site over the weekend. This site has produced coins from the 1830's and 1840's and relics in to the late 18th Century. They believe this site to be a possible late Fur Trade era site. The coin measures 21mm in diameter. Please let me know if you see anything or have any tips on cleaning to possibly expose further details.

The Rebel
05-05-2014, 12:14 PM
Nice find, but looks like it's a smoothie. Found one myself this weekend.

coinnut
05-05-2014, 01:06 PM
It's very hard to ID coppers that are corroded or worn out, but this is how I would start. I believe I see a head facing left. All I think I can make out is the face area around the nose. Also possible is one of the I's from GEO II. But remember corrosion can play tricks on you, so you have to find as many features to match before you can reveal some more. The reverse is very hard to see on Geo coppers because it is a very busy picture and when you corrode it, features start to resemble other things besides what they really are. But I looked for the date line as it is usually very close to the bottom. On my GEO II, You flip the coin top to bottom for both sides to be upright. In other words flip from 12 to 6 as opposed to 9 to 3 (on a clock face). See what you think.

del
05-05-2014, 01:37 PM
it looks pretty thick Darren , is it almost or about as thick as a large cent ??

milco
05-05-2014, 04:18 PM
it looks pretty thick Darren , is it almost or about as thick as a large cent ?? My friend says it is much thinner than a LC, more like the thickness in between a dime and nickel.

del
05-05-2014, 04:41 PM
what about a size in MM , the thickness is consistent with a colonial copper

milco
05-05-2014, 05:11 PM
what about a size in MM , the thickness is consistent with a colonial copper
Diameter is 21mm. Thanks!

del
05-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Diameter is 21mm. Thanks!

being that small it could be a half cent or a British farthing they are close in size , half cents are more standard in size being right around 22 to 23 mm . the farthings while being about that size (22 to 23 mm) can vary from that size quite a bit more . Darren when a coin is that smooth a brass brush can sometimes make the faint outlines visible enough to get an id.

OxShoeDrew
05-05-2014, 05:45 PM
That's the size of a nickle :shocked03: The edges don't look like they wore away much. Maybe a trade token? But why would someone wear a trade token on their neck? :lol:

Bell-Two
05-05-2014, 08:26 PM
Interesting find, this is like solving a puzzle without having all the pieces!

milco
05-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Hello Dan and George, or anyone else. I finally got to see this coin on Tuesday and it is 21mm diameter and worn very thin. There is definitely a sign of some sort of tower, crown type imprint on this coin similar to my outline in the picture below. Definitely a foreign coin, just not sure what it is, any further thoughts?

milco
05-08-2014, 10:21 AM
being that small it could be a half cent or a British farthing they are close in size , half cents are more standard in size being right around 22 to 23 mm . the farthings while being about that size (22 to 23 mm) can vary from that size quite a bit more . Darren when a coin is that smooth a brass brush can sometimes make the faint outlines visible enough to get an id.

I posted a new picture after seeing the coin in person, please let me know your thoughts, thanks!

Tony Two-Cent
05-08-2014, 10:48 AM
One Cent copper from the Netherlands? Wild guess, but it might be on the right track.

http://worldcoingallery.com/countries/img14/130-47.jpg

del
05-08-2014, 01:56 PM
I bet you just solved it Tony !

milco
05-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Dang Tony, you're good! That sure looks like it, I'll have to match up the exact size and thickness along with composition. Thanks alot, my buddy will be really excited to know what it is!

coinnut
05-08-2014, 05:43 PM
Nice job. We would have had Dutch coinage here for sure. Great find!

lee
05-08-2014, 11:23 PM
but why would the hole be where it is ? if i was gona hang it around my neck i would hole it so it hung straight , why would you hole it at a funny angle ?.
just a thought.

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-10-2014, 07:21 AM
Nice job. We would have had Dutch coinage here for sure. Great find!
G what the heck were you seeing with your red crayola drawing?

coinnut
05-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Well Dave my post said that this is how I ID coppers. I start from the small amount of details that I can make out and try and fit it in to a known coin. Now trying to ID a copper from a picture is not the same as trying to ID a copper in hand. It was never meant to be a positive ID but a guide on how I determine some of my coppers. In hand you can turn, tilt and change the lighting to tell what it is. You also can see the size of the coin as well. I guess I'll have to post a disclaimer for you next time :hystericallaugh: