PDA

View Full Version : Cleaned Pocket Knife (and a question)

Skamaniac
05-06-2014, 12:51 AM
I found this pocket knife last week at the former site of a one room schoolhouse. The first photo is the knife when I found it - rusted shut and in poor shape.

I soaked it in EvapoRust for 3 days and was able to pry open the blades with pliers. With the blades open I soaked it 2 more days in EvapoRust. Then cleaned the metal with a wire brush, then finally with fine grit wet/dry sandpaper. The results in the next two photos.

Now the question - Notice the difference in the handle from one side to the other. In photo with the blades facing to the right you can see the handle has decayed more than the other side, and it's darker in color. This is the side that it was laying on and it was buried at about 3-4". Could this handle be bone, and how can I tell without damaging it?

del
05-06-2014, 04:11 AM
nice job on cleaning it :clapping::clapping: because of the "grain" look to it , it could be a bone or carved stag horn handle.

RobW
05-06-2014, 01:29 PM
It does look to be a bit more "crudely" cut than a machined cut handle on the ends, meaning the "white" part does not go all the way to the brass, and it's not flush to the brass...so I agree with Dan