PDA

View Full Version : Short Memorial Day hunt

Epi-hunter
05-31-2010, 07:34 PM
Well, I got out (finally!) for a few hours this afternoon. I think I have been out for an hour or so total during the last few weeks. It was nice to be able to relax and detect. :)

This park is tough going in terms of silver but going off the beaten track seems to be the way to work it. Still, the silver finds were not old, but I was glad to find them. :)

Sorry... these are iPhone photos (read: terrible quality). I don't have a camera small enough to take with me but I am ordering one soon :)

Two mercs, a rosie, a silver Washington quarter (all 1940's-50's), a sterling silver religious pendant, and a ring:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/053110photo1.jpg

This was my exciting find of the day :) It's not beautiful, but it's interesting lol The chain is a braided coil type and says 18k. The pendant is set in a silver metal (I don't see a sterling marking) but I would love to know more about the stone. It's really nice... looks like an agate of some kind, polished. I found it on the edge of a volleyball field, in the sand, about 3-4 inches down.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/053110photo2.jpg

Sorry the photos aren't great, but if anyone can tell me anything about that stone I would love to hear it. It's about the size of a quarter, only oval. :)

Also found six or seven wheat cents when gridding an open field for awhile... they were deep (8-10+ inches) and although it is frustrating to dig pennies at that depth, at least I recognized them when I heard them and it reaffirmed that if the silver is there, I will hear it.

HH!

Hook
05-31-2010, 07:43 PM
really nice finds for such a short hunt Angie! congrats on the gold and silver mix...gotta love it! thumbsup01

CyberSage
05-31-2010, 07:45 PM
Nice hunt Epi! That's a nice amount of Silver. As far as getting better macros with the iphone try this... Go to the electronic store and by a small macro lens for a camera. attach it with tape at the edges to your iphone just over the lens area. The iphone is a fixed lens so this will help at close range. Also you can try taking the picture a bit further away from the object. Then use photo software to crop the image at real resolution. Don't forget the sharpening filter. I am curious about the stone as well.

Jack

Epi-hunter
05-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Nice hunt Epi! That's a nice amount of Silver. As far as getting better macros with the iphone try this... Go to the electronic store and by a small macro lens for a camera. attach it with tape at the edges to your iphone just over the lens area. The iphone is a fixed lens so this will help at close range. Also you can try taking the picture a bit further away from the object. Then use photo software to crop the image at real resolution. Don't forget the sharpening filter. I am curious about the stone as well.

Jack

So I'm paying (you don't want to know how much) for this iPhone every month and I have to buy a lens and tape it on to the camera? lol

I think I will just buy a camera and be done with it :) I do think it should do a better job though.

coinnut
05-31-2010, 08:02 PM
Hey Angie, nice hunt. All that silver :happydance01: I would be happy with that even if some of it isn't old. That's a pretty good area you have there to turn up that much silver in a short period of time. I would beat that place to death lol As for the stone, it's killing me lol I think there is a particular stone like that but could not recall what it was. We never carried it but have seen it. Googled some names, but wasn't finding the right stone. So for now I am leaning on a Jasper of some sort, since it comes in patterns like that. Jasper is a really nice semi precious stone. Anywhere from pinks to reds, to browns. Agates also come in patterns like that. Sometimes called river stones. Nice hunt kid :cheesysmile:

Cheap Thrills
05-31-2010, 08:27 PM
Very nice finds, all great stuff !! thumbsup01 thumbsup01 Co-incidentally , that is the same number and types of silver coins I have found so far all this year . ! Silver Washington , 2 Merc's and a Roosie . :crying02:
The necklace is really cool !! :) Looks like you've found a great spot . :yes:

Baba

handyman
05-31-2010, 08:44 PM
Nice finds, way to go thumbsup01

Beefcake
05-31-2010, 09:15 PM
Wooohoo! Nice hunt Angie! Those are finds of Angel-like proportions!

coinnut
05-31-2010, 09:40 PM
I just thought of the stone I was thinking of before lol It's called Unakite. The green is a bit different, but it's similar to yours. So it's still up in the air. Google it and click images for some photos. There, now I can sleep ;)

randy
05-31-2010, 09:40 PM
Wow, that's a sweet pile of silver thumbsup01

Ill Digger
05-31-2010, 11:05 PM
Wow!! :shocked04: Thats like a 1 1/2 to 2 silvers an hour average!!
Woo hoo :happydance01: and throw in a gold chain and a semi presious stone to boot!! Good times!!
Now that some serious relaxin' lol
Awesome hunt Ang thumbsup01
Congrats :grin:

RIdetector
06-01-2010, 06:36 AM
Nice haul of silver.

angellionel
06-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Very nice hunt. Angie! thumbsup01 I see dealing with the disc thrower didn't throw your concentration off. lol That is one park I would be hitting again and again. :cheesysmile: Congrats!

z118
06-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Man, for a short hunt you really made it count! That would be a good month for silver for coins for me. Congrats!

Epi-hunter
06-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Thanks everyone :)

Thanks for the info on the stone George. I'm going to google it. :grin:

CyberSage
06-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Just a reminder to be safe when driving over the holiday weekend. Wear your seat belt and maintain safe speed limits. Once again very nice hunt Epi!

Epi-hunter
06-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Just a reminder to be safe when driving over the holiday weekend. Wear your seat belt and maintain safe speed limits. Once again very nice hunt Epi! lol

lol You are a dead man Jack lol

CyberSage
06-01-2010, 09:10 PM
:angelic:

xzlr8n
06-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Nice silver!! Had the e-Trac dialed in for some quick silver I see. Beautiful necklace find too, that is a keeper in my book. Congrats and I hope you didn't meet the law on the way to or from your hunt :huh:.

tanacat
06-01-2010, 10:30 PM
omg what a great day for you Angie!!! :happydance01: I'm so happy for you- you made up for all that work and no play lately :yes: The necklace is so beautiful, you should wear it! It does look like agate to me. I have a good book I'll take a 'gander' here in a few.

Oh, is the ring gold? That song 'silver and gold' is going through my head now lol

del
06-02-2010, 02:57 AM
that is a very nice short hunt Angie , can't beat silver in a short period of time . thumbsup01

leslie(nova scotia)
06-02-2010, 03:45 AM
From the land of the Bluenose....had a good day by any standard. Think with all the clad one can buy a good camera by the end of the year. Keep on a hunting and thanks for sharing your outing with us!

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-05-2010, 07:47 PM
sweet silver and a beautiful necklace with pendent! thumbsup01