PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts PlanNED BAN is REALLY MUCH WORSE/VERY IMPORTANT/PLEASE READ!!!

RobW
05-06-2014, 03:35 PM
I am personal friends with State Senator Don Humason in MA. He has been to see Al and my displays of our finds at the local "museum/library" and he always asks about my latests finds when I see him. I called him directly today to discuss the proposed ban of metal detecting on DCR beaches. He said that we was unaware of such regulations. While I was on the phone with him he had his staffer call the DCR commissioners office to find out exactly what was going on. It is MUCH worse...not only does this regulation cover beaches, it also covers "urban parks" which includes city owned parks!!!!! So that affects all of us around here. The purpose of this regulation was to "prevent people from removing things from the property." I asked him how is it any different than someone picking up a seashell at the beach? Senator Humason agrees that this is a ridiculous regulation. He is going to oppose this regulation. He says that if they do proceed, that he will propose legislation to take it down.

Also, he is coming up for re-election, and he is on our side!!!!

State House Office
Room 213A
Boston, MA 02133
Phone: 617-722-1415
Fax: 617-722-1506

Email: Donald.Humason@masenate.gov (Donald.Humason@masenate.gov)
District Office:
64 Noble Street
Westfield, MA 01085
(413) 568-1366

del
05-06-2014, 03:47 PM
wow looky at Rob , he's got a state senator in his pocket :lol::lol:

seriously Rob , please keep us updated on this and thanks for bringing this up to the senator's attention.

giant056
05-06-2014, 04:35 PM
I got an email about the petition today.

aloldstuff
05-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Rob, thanks for this post. I have emailed Don the following:

I am Alan Schwartz, Robert Walker’s metal detecting partner. I understand that you and he recently had a discussion on the proposed ban on metal detecting in MA.

Please do what whatever you can do to kill this bill. I firmly believe that the DCR has no idea of the good that we do. I alone have over 5 buckets of metal trash that I have removed from our parks and schools. I have returned wedding rings, helped people find their keys, etc.

Also please keep in mind that the manufactures of the metal detectors are mostly AMERICAN companies. Is the MA government really in the business of putting business out of business and having the layoffs that would eventually follow?

Again, I ask that you do what you can to enlighten our “leaders” on this subject.

Thanking you in advance,

Alan Schwartz
413-454-3718 (cell)

I hope that I did not do any damage, but this ban is absolutely ridiculous.

RobW
05-07-2014, 09:22 AM
It is a VERY broad interpretation of "protecting" the land. I mean I understand not removing plants and gravel and rocks and trees...but as I said to him we are removing man made objects, and doing a service by removing many dangerous objects.

coinnut
05-07-2014, 11:57 AM
Hopefully they will amend or scrap it. What is the chance that we can have other areas previously off limits in MA opened up for detecting Rob??

RobW
05-07-2014, 03:23 PM
Hopefully they will amend or scrap it. What is the chance that we can have other areas previously off limits in MA opened up for detecting Rob??

What kind of areas you thinking? Lexington/Concord battlefield? ;)

coinnut
05-07-2014, 03:44 PM
What kind of areas you thinking? Lexington/Concord battlefield? ;)

I was thinking of your back yard:lol: .....Like Mt Tom, Quabbin, etc... all State parks like Connecticut allows.

RobW
05-07-2014, 03:54 PM
I was out and a staffer from the senator's office called and left a message for me to call back, but I missed them before they left today...hopefully I will have some more news tomorrow.....

CT allows detecting in state parks..:shocked04:...I did not know....guess I'm jumping the border a bit more:lol:

milco
05-07-2014, 09:22 PM
Wisconsin to CT, 1050 miles....I'm in! Seriously, I hope this all goes well for everyone out in MA!!

Tom
05-08-2014, 01:00 PM
I am personal friends with State Senator Don Humason in MA. He has been to see Al and my displays of our finds at the local "museum/library" and he always asks about my latests finds when I see him. I called him directly today to discuss the proposed ban of metal detecting on DCR beaches. He said that we was unaware of such regulations. While I was on the phone with him he had his staffer call the DCR commissioners office to find out exactly what was going on. It is MUCH worse...not only does this regulation cover beaches, it also covers "urban parks" which includes city owned parks!!!!! So that affects all of us around here. The purpose of this regulation was to "prevent people from removing things from the property." I asked him how is it any different than someone picking up a seashell at the beach? Senator Humason agrees that this is a ridiculous regulation. He is going to oppose this regulation. He says that if they do proceed, that he will propose legislation to take it down.

Also, he is coming up for re-election, and he is on our side!!!!

State House Office
Room 213A
Boston, MA 02133
Phone: 617-722-1415
Fax: 617-722-1506

Email: Donald.Humason@masenate.gov (Donald.Humason@masenate.gov)
District Office:
64 Noble Street
Westfield, MA 01085
(413) 568-1366

Thanks Rob!
Just so folks know here is a link to information about the petition:
http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?15202-Massachusetts-planning-on-banning-metal-detecting-on-state-beaches

RobW
05-08-2014, 03:54 PM
Thanks Rob!
Just so folks know here is a link to information about the petition:
http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?15202-Massachusetts-planning-on-banning-metal-detecting-on-state-beaches

Even better...call your state senator's office!

Tom
05-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Even better...call your state senator's office!

Even better-er do both!