PDA

View Full Version : Another first, 1890 Indian Head and British military hat badge

DiggerAl
05-06-2014, 09:56 PM
Today, me and my dad went to that house that we have been posting about the last couple days. What is cool is the fact that the last two times we have gone there, we have gotten a first. Yesterday my dad posted about my Rosie, but today I got my first Indian Head. I figured at first it may be trash, or a zinc, but it was about 5-7 inches on the depth scale, so I decided to dig it anyways. When I saw the coin I just glanced at it and knew it wasn't a zinc, about 6 or 7 inches, and not crusty at all, like the zincs get. After rubbing it a bit, I saw the head and one little feather sticking out. This is one of the coins I have wanted SO bad. I was so happy, my reaction was crazy. I also found a nice British military hat badge. After a bit of research, the "Royal Engineers" wore these hat badges during WWII. Earlier in the week we found another British military button as well. We only got a few dollars in clad, but that Indian makes up for it. The numbers were quite low on the Indian (at least from what I read). It was a steady 12-30, 10-31. Cannot wait until tomorrow!! :detecting:

giant056
05-07-2014, 06:06 AM
Congrats on your first Indian head cent and nice Brit pin :thumbsup01:

............................... :congrats:

aloldstuff
05-07-2014, 06:57 AM
WTG on getting that 1st IH. You must have been stoked. That British pin looks really cool and I hope that the yard can still give you some more 1st's.

RobW
05-07-2014, 07:45 AM
Very cool:cool:

Tony Two-Cent
05-07-2014, 07:54 AM
Congrats on your first Indian Head, Alec! I know how bad you wanted to find one, and you got one from the 1800s too! Awesome!

Indian Heads typically ring up around 12-36 for me but they vary anywhere from 12-30 to as high as 12-43 on rare occasions.

The hat badge is a very cool find also!

:congrats:

Digger Don
05-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Congrats on your first Indian Head, Alec! I know how bad you wanted to find one, and you got one from the 1800s too! Awesome!

Indian Heads typically ring up around 12-36 for me but they vary anywhere from 12-30 to as high as 12-43 on rare occasions.

The hat badge is a very cool find also!

:congrats: Tony, you should have seen is face & reaction. PRICELESS

MangoAve
05-07-2014, 08:49 AM
Congrats. Idk what machine you have, but I definitely know the zinc and solid pennies definitely ring up as a different number. For me, zinc ar 60 range and copper are 82-106. Usually the strange things I find fall into the zinc category which I ignore sometimes. That's the category the badge would probably fall into.

coinnut
05-07-2014, 03:38 PM
Congrats on your first (but not last) Indian :groovy:and that badge too!

With the Minelab machines, for me Indians ring anywhere from 12-30 to 12-35, on Indians that are not that deep. A lot of times you will get a more accurate set of numbers if you pinpoint the target first. Once you know where it is, just swing the coil over that spot in a very short sweep, 1" from each side. This way the coil only sees the target and just a little soil on either side of it. On deeper Indians or if other targets are around, the first number can be on the 01 line, the 06 line, etc... Once you pinpoint a deep target you will see it try and return to the 12 line. I usually dig any target that has the second number from 30 thru 35. A lot of them are Indians.

wisconsin digger
05-07-2014, 03:50 PM
First of many I am sure. Great coin and artifacts. Nice job Wisconsin Digger

Timewarpdigger
05-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Congrats for the nice finds. Safe & HH

Otis Campbell
05-12-2014, 08:07 PM
I remember that feeling of my first IH, thought I was never going to find one! Great job hunting! Nice you and your Dad can get out together too!