PDA

View Full Version : need a barn built?

Tabdigger49
05-08-2014, 01:42 AM
learning on the tdi sl, read or watched everthing think I could find, heres my first two hunts, :lol:3886938870I only pulled up caps or popcan cole slaw, or tabs when I did check the high tones they were all junk

del
05-08-2014, 04:26 AM
keep a couple of them rusty nails for a test garden and place a couple coins in the test garden too. its very difficult to explain but you practice enough and you can hear a difference in the sounds.

tanacat
05-08-2014, 07:01 AM
A few yrs ago I was hunting an old house built in 1840. The nails were so abundant by the front porch I decided to just sit there in the shade and 'take a break' using just my pin pointer. I pulled up a huge pile of nails and siding snips like yours. Whoa & behold -imagine my surprise when I found a 1877cc dime beneath all that junk!

People in my club sometimes tease me, call me "Dig it All Tana" but some of my most amazing finds have VDIs what you'd think was junk or on edge of iron. I use V3i and shallow 54s are usually zinc pennies but I've found several shallow IH and 5cent trade tokens in disturbed soil...

So my suggestion is "Dig it all"... if at a good old house site and have the energy :thumbsup02: Fyi I don't do this at trashy 'newly established' city parks unless I find an old house site using map overlay.

MangoAve
05-08-2014, 09:55 AM
A few yrs ago I was hunting an old house built in 1840. The nails were so abundant by the front porch I decided to just sit there in the shade and 'take a break' using just my pin pointer. I pulled up a huge pile of nails and siding snips like yours. Whoa & behold -imagine my surprise when I found a 1877cc dime beneath all that junk!
So my suggestion is "Dig it all"... if at a good old house site and have the energy :thumbsup02: Fyi I don't do this at trashy 'newly established' city parks unless I find an old house site using map overlay.

How did you get all the iron with the pinpointer? Besides taking forever, I can't imagine how you would find stuff 3" or below without first digging something 2" above it, or using the MD. The pinpointer doesn't go that deep. I got lucky with the IH yesteday, tho. I saw the repeatabile signal, dug it, found iron, but saw there had been a penny next to it. Sometimes you get lucky the masking doesn't completely block a good signal. I'm tending to start moving the other way and dig only ones that stay within a few counts and are not in zinc range.

As for OP, and Dan's comment: I have yet to do such but I intend to. Even bringing a few coins with you to a hunt, you can see what they register as and use it as a guideline for what might be a coin. Anything else it's how your machine reacts to relics/junk and to iron. With my machine, relics are repeatable but have small jumps in numbers, but they are jumps. My machine discriminates iron but gets the few pops into an accepted target range. Best thing I found, pending your machine has similar capability, when I see a possibly good signal that is repeatable but has a few large jumps, I put it into all metal mode. If I see a huge target area, bigger than the coil, I completely ignore it. I may give up a possiblity of a coin near it, but I know it's iron at that point and move on. Remember, the detect area for a coin is much smaller than soda cans, and way smaller than the detect area for iron.