PDA

View Full Version : Crusty IH and Bicentennial from a park.

MangoAve
05-08-2014, 07:31 AM
Got out a second time this week..I guess one day with Lee wasn't too much to handle. He took me to a park and boy it was packed with a ton of people playing sports in their colorful uniforms. We got a few clad, he got another wheat, and we both got IH. He had showed me the location where the worker's houses used to be. I kept getting a few hits around 4 inches that turned out to be something much deeper. But 3 or 4 of those times I hit some broken glass and concrete pebbles and what looked like charcoal. I gave up on most of them, but one I continued. For a minute it was a disappointment to bother the dig, cuz I pulled up a square-ish piece of iron. I was certain there was a valid signal there. I put the pinpointer back into the hole and found there was something more. I loosened all the dirt, pulled some up, and there it was sitting in the hole. A nice crusty penny. It was right next to the iron and you can see the rust mark on the coin. When I pulled it out, I had no idea what type it was. Lee came over and said it was definitely an IH. He saw the 'reeded' edge and was quite certain. He was also certain it was a fatty. Afterward I threw down a quarter to check the number, got 111-112. Picked it up and went swinging. There were a few pops and some junk but when I found something reading 114-115 I knew what it was. Sure enough, a nice redish bicentennial quarter. I thought I was on a streak when I got a huge $1/50 cent signal... oops.. it was just a 3" cap to a pole. A little more swinging and out came another 1999 quarter and a 1966 dime. Off by only a few years from it being silver. The front was caked with dirt and the Merc's have a 'similar' reverse.. but once the dirt dried and could fall off we saw it was a regular dime. I cleaned up the IH when I got home with a brush like lee said. I could see the ONE CENT in the middle of the coin with the sheild above. I confirmed it was an IH. I saw the the naked eye some of the words on the front. I looked under a microscope... and unfortunately it's not a fatty. The copper is folded like it is layered by the date, but it is an intact date. Lee, I still have my V-card. It's a 1901. But it was still great to find. On the second pic, the date is actually top right corner, opposite the rust mark.

MangoAve
05-08-2014, 07:35 AM
The pics I forgot to add: 3887338874

RobW
05-08-2014, 07:53 AM
Now you are finding coins:groovy:.....you're growing up so fast:crying01:....:lol:

Now you just need to break into the 1800s:thumbsup01:

Tony Two-Cent
05-08-2014, 08:10 AM
Congrats on the Indian Head! I can't see the date but I'll take your word for it. :thumbsup02:

MangoAve
05-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Now you are finding coins:groovy:.....you're growing up so fast:crying01:....:lol:

I been finding coins right along, but I just don't miss the random junk too. The coins I usually get are all clad. And if I find a regular penny, it's 60's or 70's...not a wheat or IH. But I wonder how many of the iron signals I got that sometimes gave a steady number, that I now ignore, had something next to it. You already know the detector sees each piece of metal individually.

Congrats on the Indian Head! I can't see the date but I'll take your word for it. :thumbsup02:
I was able to get a closer pic. I'm sure you can make it out from this one.

Tony Two-Cent
05-08-2014, 08:33 AM
Yes, I can see the 1901 date clearly now. :thumbsup01:

del
05-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Jim , the "charcoal" was probably just coal slag , back in the days people used the old coal furnaces and the spent ash and hard pebbles left were cast out into the yards , town greens or fields. the hard pebbles wouldn't burn because they were a high concentration of iron ore mixed in with the coal a.k.a. a "hotrock" , your machine was probably picking these up and giving you a false signal .

congrats on the Indian Jim

MangoAve
05-08-2014, 02:09 PM
the hard pebbles wouldn't burn because they were a high concentration of iron ore mixed in with the coal a.k.a. a "hotrock" , your machine was probably picking these up and giving you a false signal .

congrats on the Indian Jim

Same with the pinpointer? Once I got down 5-6 inches, I used the pinpointer and it was getting a signal. The only thing was it was hard to dig thru the glass and rock and coal which is why I gave up the other times.

And thanks. Something with at least some details I could read. Even the "UNITED" is intact.

giant056
05-08-2014, 04:53 PM
Great score on the Indian :thumbsup01: I'll take them any way that I can get them :grin:

Timewarpdigger
05-12-2014, 07:51 PM
Congrats. Safe & HH

Otis Campbell
05-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Congrats on the crusty Indian way to go!