PDA

View Full Version : Rosie Hat Trick, Shot Buff, and a Large Cent

z118
05-11-2014, 03:10 PM
I got out for a nice hunt Saturday. Things have been so busy that it was my first hunt in two weeks. I haven't even had time to think about detecting, which makes it tough to figure out where to go when the opportunity finally comes. So for lack on any better ideas I headed to a nice spot of mine that I hunted quite a bit last summer. It's a huge area with sparse targets so hunts there can be hit or miss. Well, Saturday was a hit. Things started pretty slow, with only a few pennies turning up in the first two hours or so, but then I hit a nice spill consisting of a 1940 nickel, a '37 wheat, and '48 and '54 dimes. A few minutes later I thought I had a third Rosie but it turned out to be an 1827 large cent. Naturally, that made me pretty happy. Later I dug perhaps the nicest Buff I've ever found except for the fact that someone seems to have shot it with a .22. This thing must have been near mint when it was shot. On my way out I hit another Rosie. All in all it was a sweet hunt.

I was hoping to get out again today, but the Mrs had quite a list of Mother's Day chores going so that didn't happen.

Happy hunting!

z118
05-11-2014, 03:47 PM
And what's the deal with shooting coins anyway? Are these tossed into the air and shot? Or are they placed on something as a target?

giant056
05-11-2014, 05:22 PM
Excellent bunch of finds you got there Z :thumbsup01: I'd say the nickel was probably propped up somewhere and someone shot at it with a 22.

wisconsin digger
05-11-2014, 05:24 PM
I think they place the coin over the barrel and shoot. The coins always seem to be just dented and i think if they were used as a target the bullet would go right through. Anyway great finds. Wisconsin digger

OxShoeDrew
05-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Nice haul of coinage! How long was the hunt? Congrats to you!

Timewarpdigger
05-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Congrats for the finds, and the LC looks like it is in great condition. Safe & HH

BTV Digger
05-11-2014, 07:34 PM
Glad to see you could finally get out and had some luck. Always weird to find old coins and see how people try and put holes in them, shoot them, put them on RR tracks etc. I guess that's why we eventually find them, because the former "owner" didn't give a !@#$ about the coin!

BTV Digger

Digger Don
05-11-2014, 07:57 PM
Congrats on a great bunch of Coins

del
05-12-2014, 06:05 AM
some silver and a copper , thats a great day in my book , Matt :clapping::clapping:

Tony Two-Cent
05-12-2014, 09:11 AM
Wow, that Large Cent is GORGEOUS! I love the nice, even brown color. What a nice coin, and 187 years old!

:congrats: