PDA

View Full Version : The legend of the jar of coins!

Kris
05-14-2014, 07:14 AM
Kris here with some pics of most recent finds from Vermont. All were found on my property. All within thirty feet of the house which was built in the late 1700's. I am looking for the legend of the buried coin jar. Yes, an old man who lived there as a child told my parents that when he was a young boy, he buried at least one jar of coins in the yard. This story was told to them back in the seventies and he has long since died. One problem, the property is THREE ACRES! Can you believe that I have found no old coins, just some modern change?? Ladies and gents, what is pictured is only the beginning of whats to be a great hunt on a virgin property!

Tom
05-14-2014, 10:23 AM
Wow, quite the finds there! Bet some were overload signals and about blew your headphones clear off! Careful looks like your giving Kacey some competition on the iron.....

:congrats:

Tony Two-Cent
05-14-2014, 10:31 AM
Perhaps you didn't find any old coins, but you got some really cool items nonetheless! Old marbles, thimble, door knob, and four ax heads, wow!

I really like the item with the roman (?) soldier on it too.

Keep looking! Lots of history there to dig up! I hope you find the jar of coins, that would be amazing.

MangoAve
05-14-2014, 10:59 AM
I like the roman thing, too. Does the property look like it has fill that would make it harder to find deeper targets? That might account for only finding newer change. It is possible he had some coins from the 1900's or 1910's as a kid and be old enough in the 70's to tell the story. You have to look around the 3 acres to determine if there is something that would be used as a marker for where it could be buried... if it is in fact still buried there.

geodehunter
05-14-2014, 12:24 PM
That has to be fun unearthing all of your finds. I like the 4 axe heads and the marbles. Take a look for a marker that might look a little out of place from the rest of your land. That might be where he buried the good stuff. Let us know if you hit the mother load.

del
05-14-2014, 01:02 PM
some nice looking older relics :smitten:the item just lower right of the saw blade is a stock or butt plate from an older type long rifle or musket and the "Roman" or "Greek" imaged item is probably Victorian as these icons were very popular around then. what does the back of that piece look like ??

Ronandari
05-14-2014, 03:16 PM
Very nice. I'll bet that place is 3 acres of heaven. Good luck finding the cache of coins.

Ron

aloldstuff
05-14-2014, 04:37 PM
All the good coins are in the jar....:congrats:. Nice group of relics. Think as a child would think....where would he bury that jar?

Bell-Two
05-14-2014, 07:14 PM
That is quite a neat group of finds!

Timewarpdigger
05-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Congrats for the finds, and good luck locating the jar. Safe & HH

Kris
05-14-2014, 11:21 PM
The back of the item with the head on it has two small bent in tabs on each of the longer sides as if to fit into two slots of a larger piece or maybe to attach it to a thicker mounting plate since it is thin and really like a World War Two tinnie in its feeling.

giant056
05-15-2014, 12:45 AM
I would say by them nice relics and stuff that you've got some very promising looking ground to hunt there, the best of luck on your ventures there :thumbsup01:

Kris
05-15-2014, 07:17 PM
Out of the three acres, only around the back deck and second outbuilding was bulldozed in the late 1970's. The rest of the area is untouched, HOWEVER, the grass grows thick and fast and the dirt builds up fast too. I found some bricks four inches under the grass that grew over since my parents put them in place years ago. The good stuff is going to be DEEP.

OxShoeDrew
05-15-2014, 07:23 PM
You're going to start unearthing significant amounts of coinage at that place! Keep it up!