PDA

View Full Version : Battlefields in europe, legal?

Kris
05-15-2014, 08:17 AM
Just a question I have had for a while. Actually two.

First Question,
I noticed on Ebay a few times that people in Europe and Russia selling battlefield finds. I know there are some people there that turn in dog tags from every army to local authorities. One man boasts recovering the names of 2000+ MIA soldiers on both the Axis and Allies sides. There are however some that dig in ways that seem a little questionable. They have accompanied there auction pictures with pictures of stacks of skulls with German helmets put on them and even a cigarette in the mouth of one of the skulls. Is any of this really legal? I dream of one day going to Europe to look for relics from the wars. I would really like to find lost tanks like those shown on YouTube. Anyone actively putting together relic huts that are authorized?

Second question,
In Hungary there are cemeteries that have been neglected for so long, the local government and private landlords for the cemeteries put a notice in the paper to come claim your ancestors remains or risk losing them to the bulldozer. Apparently they resell the spaces to families that will honor the rental agreements. Some come to collect, most do not. I have before and after photos of this from one town. I walked through the open barren field where there was once a movie like overgrown yet very visible graveyard and found pieces of human bones, skulls, teeth, and many small items that are found in caskets. NO, I did not detect there. I don't do that. I would not want the bad Karma and I think it is a sin. I am wondering however, where do most countries draw the line with detectors? If King Tut can be grave robbed and put into a museum, how do they view the sacredness of ordinary folks? Anyone reading this have experience with other countries desecrating burial sites or "saving" relics from condemned cemeteries? I actually found a grave marker in the grass just walking through taking pictures and hung it on the fence and the family found it. VERY good Karma for me.

giant056
05-15-2014, 10:00 AM
We have a park in town here that was once a grave yard (first one here ever) and similar things were done, people were notified that they were going to make it into a park and if notified the bodies would be relocated, if not the grave stones would be tipped over and covered, this all took place around 1870 and I think the founder of this town was once buried there but he was moved along with others, some of the graves were never asked about and covered. I've made some nice old coin finds in that park and believe me it's been hammered bad but I know there's still some more there yet.

Bell-Two
05-16-2014, 03:29 PM
I would think that it depends whether the sites are on private property or not. Now the morality of selling such finds is up to the individual.