PDA

View Full Version : Skipped Two metal detector club meetings and scored two silver coins and two rings

bigjohn
05-17-2014, 10:28 PM
Monday May 12th my 13 year old son and I had planned to go to the regular monthly metal detector club meeting to see what others had found the month previously. I have not found much this year and had no silver yet. That afternoon I did an interrnet search of the park districts of different towns in a 25 mile radius for names of parks to see if there were some I had not heard of. I found one about 25 miles away, so I decided we would skip the meeting and see what we could find. The park had definitely been hunted and picked over, but I had a feeling it would be a good park for me. We dug a little clad and my E-Trac displayed a 10-47 at four inches and that beautiful color of a silver edge came out. It was a 1944 Washington Quarter. My first silver of the year. We went home with high hopes of returning.

Saturday, May 17th our club planned a National Metal Detecting Day at an old park with two seeded hunts, along with the open hunt and a pot luck lunch. I decided that my son and I would skip the hunt with the cluib, even though we enjoyed it last year.

We went to the park were I had found the 1944 Washington Quarter. Was finding the silver quarter just a fluke or was there more silver to be found? I went to the first base line of the ballfield and with a reading of 10-37 and 7 to 8 inches out popped a small silver disc that I knew had to be a dime. After removing the dirt I found it to be an 1895-S Barber dime. I had a big smile as my son read the date. Then behind the backstop I got 10-47 signal at 4 inches, which I thought was a quarter, but no it was a man"s .925 silver ring. (another piece of of silver for the day) Further in the outfield I got dime signal at four inches, but it was not a dime, another ring (not sure what metal as it is not shiny like gold or silver but not a kids ring) Away from the ballfield near a tree I got a 10-50 signal that turned out to be two pieces, the front and back of a pocket watch in very bad shape. I found another odd item, similar to the nozzle of an air hose. We found only five memorial pennies and one clad dime. My son had a White's M6 with discrimation turned way down and it could not pick up half of the signals that the E-trac had.

I am running a 12 X 15 S.E.F charcoal grill grate coil on the E-Trac. I am still testing the coil and yes Pokie I am still having pinpointing problems with the E-Trac. Guess what? We are going back to the park again. In the county to the north the county fair has been at the present location for 61 years. I am having trouble trying to locate where it was previously, but I have a clue and I will take drive there to check it out.

giant056
05-18-2014, 04:01 AM
Great score on them silvers :thumbsup01:

aloldstuff
05-18-2014, 05:55 AM
Very nice that you were able to get that 1st silver of the year out of the way. Excellent that you also got yourself a very nice Barber dime. :congrats:, now you have something to show at the next club meeting.

POKIE73
05-18-2014, 06:18 AM
way to go john glad to see you finding some silver i have not got out a lot still having hard time walking but able to hunt some will get togher soon congrats on your finds dennis

Timewarpdigger
05-18-2014, 08:16 AM
Congrats for the finds. Detecting with your son and finding silver make for a perfect day. Safe & HH

zrickkid
05-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Too bad that 1895 dime didn't have the "O" mintmark. Nice finds none the less.

Digger Don
05-19-2014, 10:37 PM
Great finds. That Barber is a sweet find

Tony Two-Cent
05-20-2014, 09:01 AM
Two great finds, especially that 1895-S Barber Dime! :loveit:

:congrats:

del
05-22-2014, 05:40 PM
Two great finds, especially that 1895-S Barber Dime! :loveit:

:congrats:

I agree , a couple of great finds :smitten: