PDA

View Full Version : New to Detecting

Bagman
05-18-2014, 07:59 AM
Hello All
i live in north central Illinois, and have a Bounty Hunter 2500 to start with.
i have not as yet started detecting, after reading blogs on hobby maybe I should get out while the getting is good or learn all the dos and don'ts from those of you who would like to share your knowledge.
I am retired and would like to spend time left in the sun not on a couch waiting for the guy with the shovel to dig my hole.
Looking for places to start, without police or rangers stopping me.
Need info on what to carry in the field to achieve best results.
Thanks for reading

del
05-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Hello Bagman welcome to the forum. I'm not real familiar with state and local laws in Illinois or town your in , some of the more local members in your area can give you a better idea. You could also join a local detecting club in your area too , there you get to meet people in you own area maybe find a detecting partner to "show you the ropes" .

For equipment in urban areas I would recommend carrying the least weight as possible . Maybe a pouch for you goodies and to carry out your garbage a small hand trowel or lesche digging tool ,your detector and maybe a hand pin pointer .
Just remember to be as neat as possible to the grounds your hunting on because we all get judged by your actions so be a good ambassador for the hobby.

Dan

Skamaniac
05-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Welcome from Washington state, Bagman. There are a number of IL members on the site who can hopefully help you. A good place to start is your own yard. It's surprising how much stuff you might find! Parks, schools, playgrounds are good, but you need to make sure MD'ing is allowed in each place. It also depends on your interests - coins, old coins, relics, jewelry, etc. Go through the old threads on this site...tons of helpful info!

Timewarpdigger
05-18-2014, 07:11 PM
Welcome and best of luck. Safe & HH

Digger Don
05-18-2014, 10:42 PM
Hi & Welcome from Northern Illinois. Maybe we'll run into each other at some local parks.
Good Luck & HH

POKIE73
05-19-2014, 05:41 AM
where you hunt has a lot to do with the area that you live in cook county at the moment will not let you hunt forest preserves dupage will not allow md at their parks the same as the town of dekalb you will have to find some local help to find the areas in your neck of the woods you said north central what town are you close to dennis

Otis Campbell
05-19-2014, 08:16 AM
Welcome Bagman, just go where you know you can hunt, your own front yard! I you don't know ask. Most city parks have signs everywhere saying what you can & can't do! Good luck out there and have some fun!

Bagman
05-20-2014, 06:30 AM
Least weight sounds good to me. Detector seems light now but I guess you do get to develop forearms more after a few outings. Mosquitos are bad here also. Thanks

Bagman
05-20-2014, 06:32 AM
I'm looking forward to having fun.

aloldstuff
05-20-2014, 06:35 AM
Welcome from western MA. This is a great hobby, better than waiting for the guy with the shovel. Don't be afraid to ask for permission on private property once you perfect your digging method. As Del stated, see if there is a metal detecting club in your area. A great resource for information and a chance to meet people with like interests. Looking forward to your future finds.

Bagman
05-20-2014, 06:36 AM
where you hunt has a lot to do with the area that you live in cook county at the moment will not let you hunt forest preserves dupage will not allow md at their parks the same as the town of dekalb you will have to find some local help to find the areas in your neck of the woods you said north central what town are you close to dennis
I live on north end of Dekalb , sorry to hear I can't detect here.

Bagman
05-20-2014, 06:41 AM
Welcome from western MA. This is a great hobby, better than waiting for the guy with the shovel. Don't be afraid to ask for permission on private property once you perfect your digging method. As Del stated, see if there is a metal detecting club in your area. A great resource for information and a chance to meet people with like interests. Looking forward to your future finds.
Local clubs I have found seem to be an hour or more away. I will keep looking. Thanks

Bagman
05-20-2014, 06:48 AM
Hello Bagman welcome to the forum. I'm not real familiar with state and local laws in Illinois or town your in , some of the more local members in your area can give you a better idea. You could also join a local detecting club in your area too , there you get to meet people in you own area maybe find a detecting partner to "show you the ropes" .

For equipment in urban areas I would recommend carrying the least weight as possible . Maybe a pouch for you goodies and to carry out your garbage a small hand trowel or lesche digging tool ,your detector and maybe a hand pin pointer .
Just remember to be as neat as possible to the grounds your hunting on because we all get judged by your actions so be a good ambassador for the hobby.

Dan
Yep least weight sounds good I guess everything seems heavier after being out and about after a while.
I do have an apron looking for probe and repellents, it seems state parks allow detecting but no digging. I guess I will have to learn how to probe and pop em out some how.

Bagman
05-20-2014, 06:51 AM
Hope to stay a couple of steps ahead of the reaper for awhile. I guess with no detecting allowed in my town I will be making some road trips.

Bagman
05-20-2014, 06:55 AM
With no hunting allowed in my town there is a good chance we will. Looking forward to meeting up.

Bagman
05-20-2014, 06:55 AM
Thanks

Bagman
05-20-2014, 06:56 AM
Welcome and best of luck. Safe & HH
Thanks

Tony Two-Cent
05-20-2014, 08:18 AM
Welcome from another Illinoisan. Even though detecting is allowed in the town where I live, I still have to drive a ways to find good spots because every public site close to home is pretty much hunted out.

Finding productive sites to detect is the most challenging and difficult aspect of the hobby. It takes research, patience and persistence. In many ways metal detecting is like fishing. Sometimes they're biting and sometimes they're not, but it's still nice to be outside enjoying the sunshine.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress. :yes:

Bagman
05-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Welcome from another Illinoisan. Even though detecting is allowed in the town where I live, I still have to drive a ways to find good spots because every public site close to home is pretty much hunted out.

Finding productive sites to detect is the most challenging and difficult aspect of the hobby. It takes research, patience and persistence. In many ways metal detecting is like fishing. Sometimes they're biting and sometimes they're not, but it's still nice to be outside enjoying the sunshine.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress. :yes:
I will Tony , thanks for the welcome.

Boulder
05-20-2014, 08:57 PM
Hello and Welcome to the forum, from John in NJ. :coffeelaugh:

giant056
05-21-2014, 05:52 AM
Welcome to the forum from Kalamazoo :thumbsup02:

Fire Fighter 43
05-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Welcome to the forum and hobby from SE Wisconsin. It always nice to welcome a fellow Midwesterner. Good luck and happy hunting.

OxShoeDrew
05-24-2014, 03:15 AM
And a welcome from CT. Have you been out yet?