PDA

View Full Version : Copper pocket spill today!

Thiltzy
05-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Met up with my friend Tom this morning at 8:00 am. The plan was to go in search of a cellar hole on some private property that I have permission to hunt. Dave and I did really well on this property last year and I was wanting to go back and find other cellar holes on this huge piece of property. The good news is that we did find another cellar hole exactly where I marked it on my gps. It was another old site but it seems someone beat me to the punch on this particular site. Between the two of us we only pulled 4 buttons and some bullets:bummer:

Tom had to meet his wife at 1:00pm so I decided to hit another site that Dave and I had hit in the past. This is a gorgeous site deep in the woods with tons of swinging area however, we only pulled one beat up copper and a few buttons here last year. I always wanted to go back there because it's such a huge homestead site and I always thought that there is too much area not to have other targets. For three hours I swung my coil in all the obvious places and I did not get one repeatable target other than iron.:thinkingabout: I decided to think outside the box and headed for some of the breaks in the wall on the south side of the old road that ran past the front of the cellar hole. This area was a little swampy but did have the looks as if there could have been fields back then. A few steps later, I got my first target of the day here and it sounded really good. When I pulled out the plug, I saw a green disk but when I picked it up, there were two coppers stuck together. An 1800 Draped Bust and another Connecticut Copper were looking me in the face as I pulled one off of the other. The two obverse sides were stuck together and preserved one another very nicely. I haven't cleaned them yet but I can't see any corrosion on the obverse sides.

I then made my way to the second break in the wall and got another copper but this one was in the condition I anticipated due to the swampy area. It looks like a Matron or coronet and is almost completely destroyed. My only three repeatable targets here and all turned up as coppers:groovy:

The Rebel
05-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Nicely Done Todd! What is that structure, root cellar?

Tony Two-Cent
05-18-2014, 08:29 PM
Awesome copper spill, Todd! Lucky that the two coins were face-to-face. That 1800 Large Cent is a beauty!

:congrats:

Skamaniac
05-18-2014, 08:42 PM
Some super finds there! Way to go. :thumbsup01:

CTTodd
05-18-2014, 08:51 PM
I like that root cellar picture. Coins are great and you earned them.

Ronandari
05-18-2014, 09:06 PM
Beautiful area and some nice coins.

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-18-2014, 09:07 PM
awesome job! wish i coulda been there .but i was eatin pizza and cake blah blah

Bell-Two
05-18-2014, 09:21 PM
Wow that is really cool that the Coppers saved each other! Nice finds Todd!

Thiltzy
05-19-2014, 07:28 AM
Nicely Done Todd! What is that structure, root cellar?

Yes, it's a root cellar Roger

foundation hunter
05-19-2014, 09:44 AM
Nice job Todd,copper spills don't happen much.

chief5709
05-19-2014, 11:53 AM
Nice finds Todd! love the pixs of your hunt locations, too.

I guess Dave isn't so hard core when he would rather eat pizza and cake than dig cellar holes :cheesysmile:

del
05-19-2014, 12:19 PM
great copper spill Todd :clapping:, WOW you can definitely tell that matron was near a wet area all her years in the ground . not much left on her but the compression lines. still a great hunt.

The Rebel
05-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Yes, it's a root cellar Roger

Nice. Did you find anything in there?

Thiltzy
05-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Nice. Did you find anything in there? I did not swing inside there, it was far back and pitch black. Could be a wild animal in there:stretcher:

OxShoeDrew
05-19-2014, 05:58 PM
Todd, three copper days are special. That matron looks like you could put some ink on it and use it as a stamper :) Nice job!

Thiltzy
05-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Thanks for all the kind words people. I got around to cleaning the 1800 Draped Bust. Unfortunately the reverse sides are shot on both coins and the CT copper is worse than I thought

Digger Don
05-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Great job. Excellent finds. :congrats:

giant056
05-20-2014, 02:16 AM
Fantastic old coppers you got there :thumbsup02:

aloldstuff
05-20-2014, 06:50 AM
Nice group of coppers. Great pictures and good for you for thinking outside the box. Do you think that where the breaks in the walls is where people would have sat?

Thiltzy
05-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Nice group of coppers. Great pictures and good for you for thinking outside the box. Do you think that where the breaks in the walls is where people would have sat?
Maybe, but those areas would see a lot more foot and cart traffic.

Lodge Scent
05-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Very cool. Great pics and I do like that DB !

Timewarpdigger
05-20-2014, 07:08 PM
Congrats for the rescue. Keep up the good work. Safe & HH

Otis Campbell
05-21-2014, 08:24 AM
Those are really super finds! You put picture of your sites thanks a nice touch too! Nothing like that around here!