PDA

View Full Version : Foreign large copper today!

Beefcake
11-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Got out today and hunted a church that dates into the 1800's. Found this 1862 Ten Centesimi of Italy. Wasn't expecting to find something like that there. It was at about 5 inches deep. Pretty beat up, but it adds to the collection nicely.

MNDigger
11-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Very cool find Brian! You have to be happy with that one! I have never found any foreign coins older than 1910 and that one was only from Canada! :rolleyes::grin:

OkieDigger
11-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Very nice find! Foreign coins are fun to find, but I rarely get to find them here. Thanks for posting!

angellionel
11-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Wow, nice coin. It's the first time I see one dug.

coinnut
11-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Hey them coins from Italy and some like that from France turn up quite a bit. We had some boarding houses that were close by the mills in our area, and that is where the immigrants lived. So a lot of foreign coins are found in the neighborhoods that were theirs. Nice dig. Bet your heart skipped a beat thumbsup01

Beefcake
11-08-2009, 10:34 PM
This was found in a very small town that has maybe 50 houses total. The town did have canal access, but the Sandy creek was only used a couple of times from what history says. Don and I done a bit more investigating because when you enter the town, the sign says Sandyville, the town that moved. I knew the town was very succeptible to flood and the one road is often closed due to flooding. So I figured that they must have been originally in the flood zone. We drove down to the lowland that is now just a cornfield. There was a strange looking marker that set there and it said &quot:daydream:riginal town square!!! So, I never knew that the town had moved, and now I know that there must have been some old foundations near the marker. That field should yield some neat stuff come spring when it gets turned.

Dave
11-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Nice work! I can't wait to see what you find at the original site. Congrat's on your coin!!!

Snowy
11-09-2009, 05:18 AM
Interesting piece. Nice find.
I love it when they move towns. They've moved one town not far from here twice now.
First in the 1800s and then again just recently. Flood zones, so they say. :rolleyes:

Epi-hunter
11-09-2009, 06:56 AM
Wow, that is a keeper!! :shocked04: Great find!

bmattioli
11-09-2009, 08:43 AM
That's a nice old Foreign coin Brian! Those make for a different find..

Bruce

Jason in Enid
11-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Great old coin. I can't wait to see what you turn up at the original town square site.

coinnut
11-09-2009, 11:01 AM
There was a strange looking marker that set there and it said &quot:daydream:riginal town square!!! So, I never knew that the town had moved, and now I know that there must have been some old foundations near the marker. That field should yield some neat stuff come spring when it gets turned.

WOW! You ain't kidding about some neat stuff come spring!!! I wouldn't sleep until I detected it. Sounds like a great place to be hunting. I smell silver :)

Krom
11-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Nice find, Beef! thumbsup01
Is it a bit concaved?

coinnut
11-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Nice find, Beef! thumbsup01
Is it a bit concaved?

Looks like someone tried to make a button out of it! Very unusual find if they did.

Epi-hunter
11-09-2009, 07:26 PM
The front side looks concaved, but maybe an optical illusion from the photo. The photo of the back looks more flat... maybe a little convex.

Did you clean it Brian?

marchas45
11-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Nice find beefcake it's always nice to find a foreign coin, make you feel nice inside. thumbsup01

Beefcake
11-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Good eyes!!! yes it is a bit concaved... could have been a button project, but it doesn't show any signs of a punch attempt accept for the concaveness.. I went back on my lunch break to look for signs of foundations and I saw two abandoned front steps at two different places in the woods surrounding the old square. Looks like a nice place to hit! I did clean it up, I'll have to get some pictures of it... it's pretty worn, and the dirt actually made it easier to see the details.

hoser
11-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Nice going Beef. You have to wonder just how a coin like that got here. :huh: