PDA

View Full Version : William III Half Penny(?), Police Involved

OxShoeDrew
05-19-2014, 08:03 PM
Yesterday I show up at the only school yard I've ever hunted. I always had good luck at this place. I see 12 to 15 state police cars around the school:shocked04: I immediately turn around and head for the exit. A trooper races to catch me with lights and siren.:shocked02: He asks for ID and runs my plate. He asks me what I'm doing. I show him my detectors....he apologized for inconveniencing me and says to go ahead and detect....and that "my friend" was already detecting in the back of the school. :shocked01: I don't have any friends :lol: Well anyhow, the trooper talking to me thought someone broke into the building but what was really happening was someone called the police on the other detectorist.:shocked03: When the cops got there a brouhaha started. I guess the detectorist threatened someone and all heck broke loose. This all took place in the back of the building (where there is only clad :lol: poor sucker- I always hunt in the front where the older buildings once stood)...I started hunting in my normal areas and did better than the other guy :grin: who left after the situation calmed down.

I think my copper is a William the 3rd 1694-1701? Back is smooth.
One of the wheats match my New York World's Fair spoon-1938.
The trouser button is tombac, first for me.

The Rebel
05-19-2014, 08:15 PM
:shocked05:Wow. That's just crazy. Did it make the news? Congrats on the WM III!

Bell-Two
05-19-2014, 11:10 PM
Congrats Drew. And you got a lot of friends on here!

Skamaniac
05-20-2014, 01:09 AM
Does this website have a place to donate to a bail money fund? ;)

giant056
05-20-2014, 02:09 AM
Great score on the ole half penny :thumbsup02: I'll never forget one time I was detecting the easement between the road and fence of an abandoned paper mill and a lady called the cops saying there was a suspicious looking character in the neighborhood, the lady cop just laughed when she showed up :grin:

aloldstuff
05-20-2014, 06:44 AM
Wow what a story. You get the goodies and the other guy gets the cuffs. :congrats:on that copper.

chief5709
05-20-2014, 07:49 AM
Wow that's crazy! Congrats on that copper!

I was stopped once while detecting at our school campus and the police officer (who I knew) advised I should leave. Fortunately one of the grounds keepers came over and told him I was ok to hunt.

MangoAve
05-20-2014, 09:00 AM
Congrats on the finds, Drew. Are u sure u weren't the one getting all rowdy? :lol: I seriously wonder why you find so many spoons. I found only the one I let you have. It must have been a slow day for the cops where they all decided to pick up the call for just one person. Funny how it's not wrong to MD at a public place like a school and this being the 'land of the free', how there are so many who think "oh, you can't do that".

Tony Two-Cent
05-20-2014, 09:16 AM
Congrats on your ability to hunt after all of that commotion! I think I would have been somewhat apprehensive. It really paid off for you though, that old half penny is sweeeeet!

:congrats:

Lodge Scent
05-20-2014, 01:07 PM
Nice digs you old rabble rouser.

OxShoeDrew
05-20-2014, 07:07 PM
No Roger, I've haven't seen it in the media. Thankfully!
Thank you everyone, here is a better picture of the penny. I think it's a 1695-99 as those years had the same angle of the lady's leg as mine.
Jim, this spoon has a whole picture of the fair in its bowl. :cheesysmile:
PS apparently my wheaty and spoon don't match, I guess the fair was 1939 oops

Timewarpdigger
05-20-2014, 07:09 PM
Congrats on the copper. Nice... Safe & HH

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-21-2014, 08:45 AM
what a story lol.nice copper!

Tom
05-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Quite the story and some great finds! Congrats!

You know I have to say it. "Spoons, it's always spoons, never forks or knifes, always spoons, make me crazy!"

OxShoeDrew
05-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Quite the story and some great finds! Congrats!

You know I have to say it. "Spoons, it's always spoons, never forks or knifes, always spoons, make me crazy!"

:lol: Must have had a lot of soup.