PDA

View Full Version : Do You CCW while metal detecting?

Bell-Two
05-21-2014, 12:55 PM
Just wondering if anyone carries while detecting? That is if you are licensed to do so.

Full Metal Digger
05-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Not a gun Tony but I think my serrated digging tool would do some damage if someone was to bug me.

Skamaniac
05-21-2014, 07:38 PM
I do most times. Permitted in all 50 by retirement from law enforcement. Have never had an incident where I've needed it though.

Digger Don
05-21-2014, 08:20 PM
I'm also a retired Cop. Haven't touched a gun in 10 years. Although most of my old buddies still do. I have my lesche and my phone. I'm Good !!

chief5709
05-22-2014, 04:48 AM
I don't. I really don't have a need to, most of my spots are in open fields and this is a pretty safe area.

Lowjiber
05-22-2014, 06:04 AM
In Glock we trust. :)

giant056
05-22-2014, 06:56 AM
I've thought about getting a CCW but I think its way too expensive to go through all of the rigamaroll, I've had times that really made me want one but it was a growling pit bull in the woods, I had my lesche ready too but the stupid owner was able to find the dog and call it off, if he had grabbed at me I would have opened his chest cavity bigtime. I can carry one open if I really need to but heck the only pistols that I own are my black powder cap and ball's. My mini 14 would be a burden to carry around :grin: My neigbor carries everywhere he goes. It's really nice too that once you get your ccw you can just go to the gun shop and buy one without anything else.

My brother carries a machete quite often when he's in the woods, heck there's probably laws against them too now.

MangoAve
05-22-2014, 08:26 AM
My brother carries a machete quite often when he's in the woods, heck there's probably laws against them too now.

Yes there is. Most states it's anything over 5" blade is illegal to carry. Some states allow it with permit. It angered me the idiocracy in a local circular where someone thought it best to have all knives registered. Every day freedoms keep slipping away.

giant056
05-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Yes there is. Most states it's anything over 5" blade is illegal to carry. Some states allow it with permit. It angered me the idiocracy in a local circular where someone thought it best to have all knives registered. Every day freedoms keep slipping away.
A machete is super handy for briar's and stuff like that, I'm sure that if you were hunting private property with permission from the land owner to use a machete to clear out briars I'm inclined to think the DNR or law probably wouldn't have a problem with it.

lee
05-23-2014, 05:52 AM
ive got the two things on the ends of me arms that god gave me and ill use em if i need to . luckily the accent is usually enough to scare them off, and being english i think im invincible anyway.....prolly get me killed one day .
in england it would be considered rude to pull a gun on someone , its just not the done thing.
ive had the questions from groups of blokes "hey man, what do you do if someone tries to take your detector" my reply ? "im english and i like a fight"......usually enough to scare them off.

MangoAve
05-23-2014, 10:11 AM
Lee, an English accent is different than an Irish one... And they love to fight. :lol: (and yes I am part of both so I can say this)

A machete is super handy for briar's and stuff like that, I'm sure that if you were hunting private property with permission from the land owner to use a machete to clear out briars I'm inclined to think the DNR or law probably wouldn't have a problem with it.

Part of the reason why I would ;) carry a big blade....All the brush gets in the way. Makes me wonder if you bother to even mention what you are carrying to the land owner, how many would turn you away, esp a pistola. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Fire Fighter 43
05-23-2014, 02:44 PM
I carry all the time when not detecting, but not enough when I am detecting. I usually make the decision to carry based on the area I'm hunting, inner city ect. My weapon of choice is the Springfield XDS 45.

pulltabsteve
05-24-2014, 04:28 PM
My weapon of choice is the Springfield XDS 45.
Excellent choice! :thumbsup01:

ODA 226
05-29-2014, 05:30 AM
I'm a former Deputy Sheriff and have a CHP from Virginia. BUT.....I live in Germany now so I can't carry anything except a really nasty disposition when provoked.

Back home I carry a Springfield Micro Compact .45 ACP.

Tom
05-29-2014, 05:37 AM
I'm a former Deputy Sheriff and have a CHP from Virginia. BUT.....I live in Germany now so I can't carry anything except a really nasty disposition when provoked.

Back home I carry a Springfield Micro Compact .45 ACP.

Yup thats what I carry too, a really nasty disposition! Don't need to be provoked...........