PDA

View Full Version : This is what happens!

Tom
05-24-2014, 08:27 AM
Don't ever be fooled.
Someday this will happen to you!
And someone will say "I told you so"

Substitute the fishing rods for your favorite detector....

del
05-24-2014, 04:11 PM
its unfortunate Tom but it does happen , funny picture though :lol:

RobW
07-31-2014, 09:41 AM
:yes:...yep..had it happen to me.

And I have done it to a guy who approached me while I was out detecting...he told me where he had been going (it was a public area)...Al and I went..and over the course of a year pulled more than 200 silvers..we beat that place to death:detecting:

Trooper Bri
07-31-2014, 06:41 PM
I've been on a fishing site here in CT for almost 12 years. Epic reports with pics from a honey hole with landmarks in the background is classic spot burning. And sometimes causes a thread to turn ugly. Many will do top-down pics, blurring, or other things in their reports if it's a "no talk" zone.
Not quite the same issue in the woods, since your chance of recognizing a tree in someone's report is right up there with winning Powerball. Just make sure your GPS locator is off on your phone (or put in in aircraft mode) when taking pics of a cellar puking up relics. Don't they embed location data in the pic files? You'll find some guy with a pocket protector in your cellar the following week. :lol:

The similarities between fishing and dirt fishing are kind of funny. The 1'st would be the eternal "Why do you own do many detectors/fishing poles?". If you're into either hobby, you can answer the other side too.
I think the quickest way to get snubbed by a community is to get a generous offer, then jack a spot. Congrats. An easy big fish or cool coin just isn't worth making friends and acquaintances, and the possibilities beyond that.

MangoAve
08-01-2014, 06:35 AM
Just make sure your GPS locator is off on your phone (or put in in aircraft mode) when taking pics of a cellar puking up relics. Don't they embed location data in the pic files? You'll find some guy with a pocket protector in your cellar the following week. :lol:

I think the quickest way to get snubbed by a community is to get a generous offer, then jack a spot. Congrats. An easy big fish or cool coin just isn't worth making friends and acquaintances, and the possibilities beyond that.

I believe only the iPhone had the GPS embed in the picture file. This isn't a forum about phones but the iPhone had the location on pics and wouldn't have a kill switch for when phone was stolen. Android was the opposite and no location on and there was kill switch app. Even trying to find a specific part of a wall or foundation from an outdated satellite pic (which only looks down) is worse than a shot in the dark. I don't take pics while detecting. I'm just eager to get back and swinging while my pocket cleans the dirt off the finds.

Mostly this issue would be for public areas, but the public areas tend to be much larger. I agree which is most likely why when you get asked for a first to detect with someone, that they won't give you their honey hole right away. That gets saved for a third date ;). You just gotta know how much you can trust the person first. Probably it's best to not bring person 'x' to a spot where person 'y' brought you and vice versa.

MetalMiner
08-16-2014, 04:45 AM
Yup, I've also learned my lesson the hard way, keep my mouth shut. I told one person where I found a 1777 Reale & a few days later the army showed up with their MDer's. They didn't find anything to speak of. I went back a few months later & found my oldest Large cent 1820 that the army had missed. I don't say anything anymore.

coinnut
08-16-2014, 06:21 PM
Yep, gotta keep it quiet sometimes.

Lowjiber
08-17-2014, 08:54 AM
I used to live in Ohio, near Buckeye Lake. There is a fairly small (slightly less than a pound) fish called a "White Bass". They're very good to eat, but do not freeze well, as the meat is very soft.

Every spring, the White Bass migrate up small "feeder creeks" similar to the one in the picture. They're easily caught with minimal equipment and a small white jig. Scenes such as shown above are very common. It looks stupid, but it's a lot of fun.

Digger Don
08-18-2014, 08:39 AM
I don't mind telling friends where I hunt, But only the ones I trust.

WBL TH
08-19-2014, 09:58 PM
I once let a friend bring a friend Duck hunting and the next year he was in my spot with 7 other guys. That was the last time I ever let others into my group. Lesson Learned :angry:

BTV Digger
09-18-2014, 08:10 AM
Yeah, you must be careful. I only have a few trusted friends/confidants that I'd bring to a secret location, and if they can't join then I hoof it alone into the woods. This is especially true if I do all the leg work getting permission at a pvt property site, especially the rural/wooded ones. That process can be quite time intensive.

Beartoe
09-21-2014, 09:51 AM
There are "Lurkers" here on the forum as well. I learned the error of my ways last year when I mentioned the name of the little know park I was hunting. The park dated back to the 1880s and I was finding some nice coins. Well I bragged and mentioned the name on a forum.

The next weekend there was six detectorist going over my honey hole. Will not do that again.

Super Snooper
02-07-2015, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=Beartoe;174190]There are "Lurkers" here on the forum as well. I learned the error of my ways last year when I mentioned the name of the little know park I was hunting. The park dated back to the 1880s and I was finding some nice coins. Well I bragged and mentioned the name on a forum.

The next weekend there was six detectorist going over my honey hole. Will not do that again.[/QUOTE

I have a word for those people who do this-SCUMBAG!! As you all know this is a hobby consisting of detective work and trial and error. When you research all winter and finally get out to a site,go through the permission phase and actually find something GOOD there it makes us feel good,and it damn well oughta. I don't feel as good when I find something on an invite,and I surely don't ever even think about sniping any sites. I like to work alone,I only ever go with two other guys when I do go with someone else,and even then it's never the three of us. It really honestly SUCKS for the guys who get their sites ransacked. I like to go to a place multiple times,having someone else there means I might get blamed for their stupidity and get kicked off,along with them getting something out of there I would have found by slow methodical searching.
Anyway,yeah,loose lips sink ships. KEEP IT ZIPPED!!:lipssealed: