PDA

View Full Version : 2 hrs. today,slim pickin's.

Cheap Thrills
06-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Saw a vacant lot I had hit once before without much success . I saw that the Water dept had moved a little bit of dirt around so I gave it a shot for an hour. Didn't find anything but larger garbage where they had been but found the lock , the car and the memorial penny nearby .
Spent the next hour at a small wood chip tot lot that used to be good for a couple of bucks at a shot and some ocassional gold but not the last couple of years . Today I found 2 clad quarters and two nickels . The lower nickel appears to have been part of a pocket drop (notice the evidence of another smaller coin having been against it). Yup , it looks like it fell out of another digger's pouch while he was cleaning out the tot lot . The other side of that lock has the letters RFD on it , it has a 1940's look about it but i dont know . It was good to get out anyway .

Baba

Ill Digger
06-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Some times it's good just to swing and get some dirt under your nails. thumbsup01
Those big brass locks always sound so inviting :yes:
The car looks like a tootsie toy.
Good stuff ....Congrats :grin:

tanacat
06-05-2010, 01:44 PM
thumbsup01 Locks and cars are a couple of my fave collections lol It's very cool that it says MAIL on it... I looked it up- looks like from 1902! Says vintage antique lock, but not sure of value due to not wanting to join this site :grin: maybe I should, I end up there all the time lol

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-lot-of-3-1902-guard-1904-rfd-mail-lock

I have one from early 1900's says Eclipse 6 Lever on it...

tanacat
06-05-2010, 01:52 PM
ebid says $9.99 starting bid

Came across this interesting site about postal history. Good pics of various items from the old dayz :)

http://www.arago.si.edu/index.asp?con=4&cmd=2&eid=370&slide=1

Cheap Thrills
06-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks for all the info and the links Tana thumbsup01 thumbsup01. Wow it's a bit older than I expected . :happydance01:

angellionel
06-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Good looking old lock. They are quite collectible. They sure do sound off great too. :yes:

coinnut
06-07-2010, 07:25 AM
Any time I can get out away from work and stress and go detecting is a good day to me lol Glad you got out and enjoyed the day. You never know about them vacant lots, sometimes one will produce big time for you :yes: