PDA

View Full Version : Great coin hunt

coinnut
05-25-2014, 06:37 PM
I only had a little while to hunt this weekend, so I stayed close to home to make the most of it. I just bought the 17" coil for the CTX and it has been good to me when I used it on the Pequot hunts. This is my first try with it at a couple of cellar holes close to home that have been pretty well worked over. I must say the 17" coil picks the targets out nicely in the wide open field areas. I wasn't expecting much at these sites, but on the path I got my first good coin target, a 1903 Barber Dime.:thumbsup01: If that is all I would find, I would be happy for the hunt. But I eventually got a deep copper reading and pulled a toasted copper at 8". About an hour before the hunt was over I got another copper/silver reading at 6" and out pops a silver disk. I noticed it was a bit bigger than a dime, but couldn't tell what it was. It could be Spanish or another foreign coin. I continued hunting and then called it a day. A couple of 22's, shotgun shells, nails and other scrap rounded out the hunt. When I got home, I realized the silver coin had that cement like grit stuck to it, so I cleaned it gently with running water and a soft tooth brush. It revealed a Capped Bust Dime :groovy: But the date threw me for a loop, as it was an 1809 (just missed the Draped Bust Dime series by 2 years).:girlcry: I was a bit bummed since Draped Bust silver is very hard to come by over here, but when I looked at the Redbook for that year, I found out it was the first year of the series and only had a mintage of 51,065. Looking at the coin (minus the encrustation) it appears to be XF or maybe even a bit better. If I can get it cleaned without ruining the patina, it will be a very valuable coin. I was not bummed anymore :lol: So far I am loving this coil.

del
05-25-2014, 07:20 PM
:shocked03:WOW ,what a sweet early Capped bust and a key date to boot . very nice George:notworthy:

Lodge Scent
05-25-2014, 07:42 PM
Nice! That is a real oldie ! Lot's of detail under the dirt. That's 2 CB dimes posted so far this weekend. We need to see 1 more.

Timewarpdigger
05-25-2014, 07:45 PM
CONGRATS!!!!!!! Awesome find!! :congrats:

OxShoeDrew
05-25-2014, 07:45 PM
I bet you'll like that coil even more come winter :yes: when these ferns die off again. Good luck with the cleaning, back just as nice? That coil paid for itself in a few hours!

Bell-Two
05-25-2014, 08:28 PM
Wow what a special coin that is...great find there.

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-25-2014, 08:28 PM
draped bust silver is hard to come by anywhere.you can get her clean.we have faith in you.beautiful silver. congrats!

kray
05-25-2014, 11:24 PM
Beautiful dime. Looking forward to pix of it when it's cleaned!

Ill Digger
05-26-2014, 12:06 AM
Sweet find George!!
Congrats!:grin:
And you didn't even have to go very far! :thumbsup01:
It looks like it's in pretty decent shape. Can't wait to see how your cleaning efforts turn out:popcorn::popcorn:
I heard sandpaper works well for bring out details. :poke::lol:

Cheap Thrills
05-26-2014, 01:11 AM
Awesome hunt George !!!:wow: :congrats:

fsa46
05-26-2014, 05:43 AM
Now that's what I call a great hunt, George. :thumbsup01:

Don't you love pulling out finds like that in a spot that has been hammered...really gives you confidence in the equipment you're using. :yes:

I can remember when you first got the CTX ( before you really knew it ) it's a killer in your hands now, isn't it.

giant056
05-26-2014, 06:44 AM
Awesome finds for sure :thumbsup02:

CTTodd
05-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Sweet lookin finds

Tony Two-Cent
05-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Wow! That capped bust dime is INCREDIBLE, George! It still has amazing detail on it! :loveit:

What a spectacular find! The stuff of dreams for sure. Man, I would give anything to find a coin like that.

HUGE CONGRATS! :notworthy:

Isaac
05-26-2014, 11:38 AM
That is one SICK dime! I'd do anything to find a 195 year old silver coin! :shocked03: Amazing hunt! :loveit:

coinnut
05-26-2014, 11:51 AM
Thanks everyone. It will be a while before I clean it. I need to see what it is encrusted with first. But I am soaking it in water to loosen up anything that wants to easily come off. The backside is in great shape too, but heavily encrusted...worse than the front. It really was dropped brand new. Always wondered what the person who lost it thought, when they figured out it was missing. Why they brought it out in the field in the first place, is another thing I would love to know. Sorry no sandpaper on this one :lol: I found my first Capped Bust half dime a little while ago and it had the same type of corrosion on it.

pulltabsteve
05-26-2014, 12:26 PM
NICE! Key date capped bust dime. I don't know my coins, I would have just tossed it in my pouch. Cool find:congrats:

aloldstuff
05-26-2014, 03:11 PM
:wow:, a capped bust. Most of us would have been very happy with the Barber and ALL of us would be very happy with that capped bust. Looks to be in great shape and I hope your cleaning it goes well. Well once again, no site is ever hunted out. Congrats on the key date.

Digger Don
05-26-2014, 04:13 PM
Very excellent find, I can only dream of finding a coin like that. CONGRATS

Thiltzy
05-26-2014, 08:19 PM
Fabulous dime George! That one still eludes me:envious:

The Rebel
05-27-2014, 12:19 PM
WTG George! It amazes me how many coins people lost. If we lose a coin for the most part no big deal but back then it was a totally different story.

zrickkid
07-04-2014, 11:24 PM
any update on the cleaning? :envious:

coinnut
07-05-2014, 02:54 PM
any update on the cleaning? :envious:

Not yet, I have been trying to find the chemical name for "spirits of Ammonia" and everything I read contradicts the other articles I read :lol:. Some say it's just regular ammonia, some say "spirit of hartshorn - smelling salts", others say it is neither of those :rolleyes:. I read a good article on spirits of ammonia and I want to try it, but I want the chemical formula for it first.