PDA

View Full Version : Totally bummed V3i stolen from car on my own driveway.

zrickkid
05-27-2014, 07:38 PM
So I get ready to go out detecting today and the detector is not in the car. No biggie I figure I left it inside for the night because I usually bring it in after the days spoils have been found. I look look look and its gone...:crying01:....pinpointer and digger still in the car right next to it. Checkbook, cds, work tools, all still there. A crime of opportunity no doubt because I probably left the car open. Lesson learned. Im really mad and im sure you guys know how you would feel. The V3i was pretty costly so ill have to save for a bit to get another machine. Maybe an e-trac this time. I dont know but this really sucks. I was off to my best start ever. My silver record is 27 and I set that last year. I already have 20 on the books for this year. I was setting my sights on 50 or more if I had any luck whatsoever. Things like this usually dont happen where I live as its a very quiet family oriented area with lots of kids. So I made out a police report and checked a few pawn shops. I may put a sign up in the corner store offering a reward no questions asked and hopefully I can get it back for a couple hundred or so. Any Ideas would be great. Still cant believe shes gone........:mad:

Digger Don
05-27-2014, 07:50 PM
Sorry to hear about the theft of your machine. depending on your deductible, it may be covered under your car insurance. I'll keep an eye on Craigs list for it. Good Luck

zrickkid
05-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Thanks Don.

OxShoeDrew
05-27-2014, 08:16 PM
Yeah, report it to the police...you never know. You feel violated when things are stolen. I wish you luck getting another.

Pastpursuits
05-27-2014, 08:21 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your detector and I hope the police locate it soon. Sounds like you were off to a good start on the season. I have a few detectors (I like my V3i the best) but the e-trac is a silver killer for sure!

Good Luck and hope your out hunting soon!

rsarge1
05-27-2014, 08:33 PM
if it was in your driveway, homeowners insurance should cover it

POKIE73
05-27-2014, 08:54 PM
my wife is a state farm agent she says your homeowners will cover minus your deductable hope this helps some

freemindstuck
05-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Brutal, man I know how I'd feel if someone stole my v3i. They should have amber alerts for stolen detectors. If you registered your machine and password protected it you might get it back since they can't wipe your name and if they try to pawn it, it'll be easy to prove it's yours.

Skamaniac
05-27-2014, 10:01 PM
You know, this reminds me...all of us should have the serial number of our machines written down somewhere so if it's stolen the police can enter it into the national crime information center computer system. If the serial number is run by an officer or pawn shop it will pop up as stolen.

I agree with Don - watch Craigslist (and Ebay). Thieves love Craigslist.

aloldstuff
05-28-2014, 05:16 AM
Reading the replies it seems that the homeowners ins will cover it. Sucks that it stolen right in your driveway. We have a terrible rate of car break ins here where I live. My wife's car was entered in the driveway, now we both make sure that the cars are locked.

Was your detector in the truck or in plain view?

RobW
05-28-2014, 07:55 AM
I know the feeling...I had 2 detectors stolen from my car...I was broke then and didn't have the money to replace them...I was out of the hobby for several years..I feel your pain and frustration:crying01:

Tony Two-Cent
05-28-2014, 08:23 AM
Very sorry to hear about this, Ricky. I hope it is covered by your insurance. Nothing is more infuriating than being the victim of thievery.

I hope the situation is resolved quickly and in a positive way.

Tom
05-28-2014, 09:19 AM
Very sorry to hear of your loss, hope insurance helps some.....

chief5709
05-28-2014, 11:03 AM
You know, this reminds me...all of us should have the serial number of our machines written down somewhere so if it's stolen the police can enter it into the national crime information center computer system. If the serial number is run by an officer or pawn shop it will pop up as stolen.

I agree with Don - watch Craigslist (and Ebay). Thieves love Craigslist.

Great Advice!!

The Rebel
05-28-2014, 11:37 AM
Sorry to hear about this. I HATE freeking theives!

After Sandy my Dad's house was broken into & they stole some very old stamp albums.

Ask around the neighborhood to see if anyone noticed any strangers on your street.

coinnut
05-28-2014, 11:49 AM
That is unfortunately what happens these days. No neighborhood is safe. Did you have the serial number recorded? I wonder if any of your neighbors have home surveillance systems that they may let you look at. You may see the person or vehicle pass by their house? I have a system and love it.

geodehunter
05-28-2014, 12:11 PM
Sorry to here what happened to you. That really bites.

BTV Digger
05-29-2014, 06:05 PM
Sorry to hear about that. I live in a quiet kid friendly neighborhood as well and we've (my wife and I) have even had a thief show up on our front doorstep in broad daylight. Wife answers, my two labs start barking, and the dude said he just had the wrong address and scurried away. Turns out that same guy broke into a house on the other end of my block no less than 10 minutes later. Hopefully you can save enough to get another decent machine before next winter. Best of luck on that.

BTV Digger

giant056
05-30-2014, 03:55 AM
Super bummer, I've never had a detector stolen from me but there's times people could have. When I'm hunting alone it's always locked up if I leave the truck but many times when I'm hunting with my brother in his truck it will be in the back (covered) but all a person would have to do is open the tailgate and there both detectors would be easy pickin's for a theif.

Bell-Two
05-30-2014, 08:58 PM
Check with your insurer if your auto coverage will take care of it since generally the comprehensive deductible on auto insurance is less than the theft coverage of homeowners insurance. Check your policies.

Moresound
06-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Should be tougher laws against thievery.
like the lopping off of a hand.

tanacat
06-03-2014, 07:14 AM
Oh no! That really sucks :( good idea for all of us to insure our detectors... My hubby hid my detector on April Fools Day, said the garage was left over night. Almost gave me a heart attack.

Good luck finding it, did you check pawn shops and Craigslist? eek I bet there's a lot of pawn shops in Chicago, being such a big city...

anvilmanco
11-07-2014, 11:44 PM
Dear ZRICKKID,

Sorry for stepping away for a minute as I had to go Rack my Shotgun a few times to make sure it's still working smoothly. Thieves are lower than Whale Poop. There's only one cure for them, but sadly, I'm not in charge. Sadly, as another member pointed out here, there just isn't any secure neighborhood. I sure hope you can manage to get another machine soon.

Hang in there,

Keith

Beartoe
11-08-2014, 08:13 AM
I live in one of those quiet neighborhoods. The last couple of months we have had a rash of thefts from vehicals. I will be doing like my neighbors and putting up a camera system.

When and where I grew up, folks did not lock their doors. There were poor folks back then also but they did not steal from their neighbors.

Full Metal Digger
11-08-2014, 08:15 AM
Turns out the detector wasn't stolen after all. In another post he mentions that he apparently drove off and left it at the house he was detecting at. Several months later the home owner happened to see him and told him the detector was still at his house! A good ending to a sad story.

anvilmanco
11-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Daddy, you are correct. That is a good ending. Glad I'm not the only one to forget things. Must be the "Halfzeimers". :-)