PDA

View Full Version : Help with a hunt in CT

Twobit
05-28-2014, 09:29 PM
Background: I've been doing loads of historical research on the trails followed by Rochambeau during the Civil War. The French army travelled through Connecticut and stopped in a number of places. I have made it a goal to identify one of their camps and have read every history, diary entry, and map I could find in order to determine the locations of their camps. There has been an effort to track them through Connecticut in order to create a historic trail but they don't always stay to the original route, choosing tourism opportunities over historical accuracy.

to my point: I want to find them! I am cautious about entering sites that are already marked as historical and prefer the challenge of finding something new. However, it's a lonely endeavor and I think that someone may have already done a lot more toward figuring this out. So, has anyone here already tried this? Or, does anyone have any advice? I'm really not sure which sites I can investigate without permission. Are town and state owned woods fair game?

any thoughts would be appreciated,

Lou

del
05-29-2014, 02:36 AM
Lou , there are lots of places that are privately owned (camp sites) that you can try to get permission for and a few that are strictly off limits or historical sites. I know some owners have been asked by the state archaeologists to decline anyone who asked but its their land and entirely up to them. Most of the roads that Rochambeau's troops traveled are major routes now but there are a few abandon roads still around to detect , these are still considered town roads and I know a few who have detected them. do a lot of research and be careful as to the local and state laws about town and state property.

Dan

Twobit
05-29-2014, 04:28 PM
Thanks, seeking out property owners one at a time is a great idea. It may take a long time to find the spot but it'll make a great white whale to hunt.

lou