PDA

View Full Version : Sat, & Memorial day hunts*great variety of finds* PICTURE HEAVY

Thiltzy
05-29-2014, 08:36 PM
Saturday got out with Dave to some cellar holes that Dave had hit with a few guys in the past. Lot's of hiking but manages to squeak out an 1876 CC seated dime on the lip of a trashy cellar along with my 1st shield nickel. On the final cellar hole I nabbed a very interesting patriotic eagle button looking piece. Don't think it's an actual military button due to the hooked shank on the back. maybe some one knows what it is.

Memorial day was a hunt to remember. With permission to hunt on private woods we felt good about going to this site. Seems that Dave got all the large coins and I got all the small ones. I pocketed a nice variety of coins that included two more seated dimes that were a few inches away from an Indian head coin spill that had 3 injuns in one hole. I think all 5 coins were from the same spill. Not far from this area in one of the fields I also scored a wiped out Draped Bust copper.

Around the cellar hole I discovered my most interesting finds of the day. A two cent piece, a beautiful womens locket or pocket watch still with some gold plate or gilt on it and then my favorite find being a store token that replicates a $5 dollar gold coin. The token reads "Macne Tic Powder & Pills, For Insects & Rats" and on the obverse side it reads "424 Broadway NewYork". I believe it to be a mid 1800's store token. Also got a great assortment of cloak buttons that seem to be 1700's style along with one half of a set of cufflink.

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-29-2014, 08:41 PM
awesome coins and relics Todd! great variety of stuff we dug.you should post a picture of the back of the eagle button thing as I believe it's some sort of patriotic leather/wood tack rather than a button.this would help identify it better

Thiltzy
05-29-2014, 08:59 PM
awesome coins and relics Todd! great variety of stuff we dug.you should post a picture of the back of the eagle button thing as I believe it's some sort of patriotic push tack rather than a button.this would help identify it better
I forgot to post that. Thanks for reminding me Dave.

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-29-2014, 09:07 PM
can ya make out whats on her headband on the token? not liberty thats for sure

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-29-2014, 09:18 PM
in her head band is Company name E.Lyon.below is photo of obverse and the mintage years for merchant tokens

giant056
05-30-2014, 03:23 AM
Wow!!!!!!! what a fantastic haul of relics and old coins you got there :thumbsup02: that's a super pic of the toad, very nice photo. Ole Toadman would be proud of that pic :grin:

del
05-30-2014, 04:42 AM
:shocked05:incredible weekend of detecting Todd :notworthy::notworthy: talk about some quality finds.

wild willy
05-30-2014, 06:20 AM
wow all those dimes are cc! larry i wonder how toadmans doing?

Isaac
05-30-2014, 06:25 AM
What a haul! :shocked05:Fantastic weekend! :wow:

Lodge Scent
05-30-2014, 06:58 AM
:wow: Great bunch of digs Todd. What an assortment of nice finds! Looks like nothing escaped your coil.....even amphibians ;)

chief5709
05-30-2014, 09:31 AM
WoW, well worth the hiking! Great finds Todd! you and Dave are killing those cellar holes. Congrats!

The eagle button, or whatever it is, is very interesting. The stars kind of remind me of some of the NY militia items I've read about. I wonder if the 16 stars is relevant or just how many fit in the circle. Great find.

Tony Two-Cent
05-30-2014, 10:39 AM
This is one of the most amazing hunts I've ever seen! :notworthy:

Three CC dimes? Holy cow! What are the dates on the Indian Heads? Are they from the 1870s as well? I can tell by the weakly struck "N" on the reverse that at least one of them is an older Indian Head.

And look at that gorgeous Two Cent Piece! And the awesome tokens! And the buttons! And the watch case!

You are really having incredible success, Todd! Congrats! :wow:

Tony Two-Cent
05-30-2014, 10:57 AM
p.s. The last digit on the Draped Bust is clearly an "8" so it has to be 1798. :thumbsup02:

Thiltzy
05-30-2014, 12:09 PM
This is one of the most amazing hunts I've ever seen! :notworthy:

Three CC dimes? Holy cow! What are the dates on the Indian Heads? Are they from the 1870s as well? I can tell by the weakly struck "N" on the reverse that at least one of them is an older Indian Head.

And look at that gorgeous Two Cent Piece! And the awesome tokens! And the buttons! And the watch case!

You are really having incredible success, Todd! Congrats! :wow:
Thanks for the props Tony, it pays to go slow amongst the trash and iron. The Indians are 1867,1875 and no date on the third. They are all complete toast.

Thiltzy
05-30-2014, 12:15 PM
WoW, well worth the hiking! Great finds Todd! you and Dave are killing those cellar holes. Congrats!

The eagle button, or whatever it is, is very interesting. The stars kind of remind me of some of the NY militia items I've read about. I wonder if the 16 stars is relevant or just how many fit in the circle. Great find.
I a interested also in finding out the eagle thing is also

The Rebel
05-30-2014, 12:16 PM
:shocked05:Dang Todd. You killed it! Awesome, just awesome! :thumbsup01:

Thiltzy
05-30-2014, 01:30 PM
:shocked05:incredible weekend of detecting Todd :notworthy::notworthy: talk about some quality finds.

Thanks Dan. What do you make of the watch/locket and eagle button looking piece. Btw, did you get out???

Thiltzy
05-30-2014, 01:33 PM
can ya make out whats on her headband on the token? not liberty thats for sure
E Lyon and thanks for finding that info:thumbsup01:

Kris
05-30-2014, 02:13 PM
Amazing!

Bell-Two
05-30-2014, 03:46 PM
Wow what a fine collection of stuff! I really like that token!

Full Metal Digger
05-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Amazing finds! What a great haul of early American coins! Seems like you NE guys are always finding Carson City dimes but I never see them down here in Illinois (more likely to find a New Orleans mint mark here). I wonder why that is?

del
05-30-2014, 06:49 PM
Thanks Dan. What do you make of the watch/locket and eagle button looking piece. Btw, did you get out???

Todd the locket is a nice piece , my vote on the eagle item is a button . the shank looks broken on the bottom of one end where it was brazed. what makes the button so nice is its 6 pointed "tooled" look stars and its left facing eagle when most are facing to their right. it looks early maybe 1810 to 1820 I haven't found an exact match but looks more diplomatic or patriotic then military to me .

and no I haven't been out in weeks :girlcry:

CTTodd
05-30-2014, 07:25 PM
I love variety and you got it. Very nice

geodehunter
05-30-2014, 07:30 PM
Now that's an assortment of great finds. The weekend was really good to you guy's.

OxShoeDrew
05-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Todd, I dug a Lyon's token and and found it had political history. http://mormonhistoricsites.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/MHS_Spring2003_AntiMormon-Bug.pdf
Lots of sweet keepers there. Don't you just love the color of 2 centers? Congrats!

Thiltzy
05-30-2014, 08:20 PM
Todd the locket is a nice piece , my vote on the eagle item is a button . the shank looks broken on the bottom of one end where it was brazed. what makes the button so nice is its 6 pointed "tooled" look stars and its left facing eagle when most are facing to their right. it looks early maybe 1810 to 1820 I haven't found an exact match but looks more diplomatic or patriotic then military to me .

and no I haven't been out in weeks :girlcry: Could the button be that rare ? Very cool if it is \. My guess is a "patriotic" button hope I can find out. What happened with your Last Saturday hunt? Something come up?

Thiltzy
05-30-2014, 08:21 PM
Todd, I dug a Lyon's token and and found it had political history. http://mormonhistoricsites.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/MHS_Spring2003_AntiMormon-Bug.pdf
Lots of sweet keepers there. Don't you just love the color of 2 centers? Congrats! Drew, that is some really cool info on the Magnetic Powder! Thanks for posting that:thumbsup02:

BTV Digger
05-30-2014, 08:42 PM
Very nice set of finds there. Love the assortment, definitely a day to remember for the shear quantity and quality.

BTV Digger

Digger Don
05-31-2014, 08:49 AM
Thats a great bunch of Quality coins. Great detail on many of them. The buttons and relics look great also.
SUPER HUNT

Timewarpdigger
06-02-2014, 05:59 PM
I would be satisfied if I found that in a year of hunting yet you did it over a weekend. Unbelievable!!!!! Congrats

BTV Digger
06-02-2014, 08:20 PM
Wow. What a haul. Love the buttons. You're gonna have to start thinking about buying a foot locker to pull all of your stuff in if your find rates keep up like this!

BTV Digger

kpmoose
06-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Rough hunts Todd. Keep at it, you'll do better next time. :interesting:

kray
06-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Hell of a haul! Nice job.

don in ny
06-04-2014, 06:56 AM
Color me jealous. Not one, but 3 CC seated dimes! Great buttons, tokens, LC's and all. Great hunting. I'm not sure what is a more appropriate description, Amazing or Fantastic. Way to go Todd.

zrickkid
06-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Truly a hunt to remember.