PDA

View Full Version : Shield Nickel, silver spill and the BEST looking Barber Dime I ever found!

Full Metal Digger
05-31-2014, 06:52 PM
Hey diggers,
I was driving around looking to do some door knocking and happened upon a 1890 home I been wanted to detect for quite some time now. The owner was outside and after talking for a few minutes he gave me the go-ahead to search. I started in the front and started finding some modern coins. The home owner was so excited to see what I was finding he was washing the coins for me! He brought out a bucket of water and soap and a toothbrush and was scrubbing those clads for me! What service!

After about 20 minutes I got a nice solid 12-44 at 8 inches deep and popped out a nice looking Barber dime. I could tell it was in VERY good shape so I didn't even try to look at it. My next deep signal was a mid-tone (kind of a scratchy pull-tab) signal about 7 inches deep. I told the home owner it was either a gold ring, a nickel, or a really deep piece of junk. I dug out the dirt and was happy to see a nickel size coin. It is almost a smoothie but I could tell right away by its slightly smaller diameter that it was a shield nickel. My second ever!

After about an hour I got a nice strong signal down deep and found an old token. He took it to clean it up and the next thing I know he has his tablet out and has Googled the writing on the token and actually found it listed in a token catalog as a 1914 saloon token!

By now 2 hours have gone by and my back was killing me. I was ready to leave and he says "did you try the back corner by the alley?" I didn't have much hope anything would be there but I started swinging my coil and immediately got a silver signal about 6 inches deep. It was very scratchy and the display was showing junk numbers but the sound in my ears was silver. I dug down and was very happy to see the rim of a silver quarter in the dirt. What a shock. I closed the plug and right next to it got another silver signal at the same depth. I told him "It's another silver." Out comes a 1946 dime. I closed that plug and got another silver signal next to that plug at the same depth!! Out came a 1941 dime! My third silver spill in 3 weeks! I ended up finding 2 more silver dimes (rosie and a merc) and a 1919 wheat cent (all in the back corner where I didn't have much hope)! Lesson learned!

The home owners (David and Peggy) were just the nicest people you ever want to meet. David was showing me some of his arrowhead collection and Peggy introduced me to all her parrots! Here's some pics. Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

P.S. Check out the amazing condition of the Barber Dime. It has full mint luster on both sides. What do you grade it as?

Digger Don
05-31-2014, 07:15 PM
Looks like you had a GREAT hunt there Dave, with the exception of the shield nickel, all the coins look really good. But that barber looks like it was dropped in January 1905. Congrats

giant056
05-31-2014, 07:17 PM
Fantastic bunch of finds ya got there and that barber is a real beauty indeed :thumbsup02:

............................................. :congrats:

The Rebel
05-31-2014, 08:40 PM
Beautiful finds!

wisconsin digger
06-01-2014, 06:21 AM
Saying that Barber is a beauty may be an understatement. That is a gorgeous coin, the others aren't to bad either. Great hunt. Wisconsin Digger

Lodge Scent
06-01-2014, 01:41 PM
Super nice silver. Love that saloon token.

geodehunter
06-01-2014, 02:45 PM
Amazing finds!!!

Isaac
06-01-2014, 03:19 PM
:wow: What a day! :thumbsup02: Incredible finds, but the barber is pristine! :shocked04:

freemindstuck
06-01-2014, 07:02 PM
Very cool! It's been a while since I had a six silver hunt. :envious: The barber is a looker! :perfect10:

Bell-Two
06-01-2014, 08:06 PM
Wow bunch of nice coins and that token is really nice.

milco
06-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Awesome finds!

driftwood1963
06-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Super nice "O"!!!

Timewarpdigger
06-02-2014, 04:11 PM
the barber looks practically in mint condition. Congrats. Safe & HH

bob_e99
06-02-2014, 05:10 PM
That is really an awesome hunt especially when you get to meet some really nice folks.

Congrats on some super finds.

Ill Digger
06-02-2014, 10:19 PM
:shocked05:Man Dave!! You are just killing it this year!! Your on track for 150+!!:envious:
Nice finds!
Congrats! :grin:

AS for the coins grade? :thinkingabout:
According to the Red Books description as far as grading gos, I'd say it's right there at the top. :yes:
Somewhere around MS60- MS63 :thumbsup01:

Tony Two-Cent
06-03-2014, 07:52 AM
Super hunt, Dave! It's nice that the homeowners were so accommodating and interested in the finds. Without a doubt that is the nicest dug Barber Dime I've ever seen! It's gorgeous!

I really like the saloon token too, and it's very cool that the original building is still there.

:congrats:

aloldstuff
06-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Dave, that dime is a real looker. I use the following and it really helps me so I hope that it can help you:

http://coinauctionshelp.com/US_Coin_Grading_Guides.html#.U445r8JOU5s

We are never to old to learn a lesson.....:lol:. Great hunting and looking forward to your next adventure.