PDA

View Full Version : No place is hunted out?

Jason in Enid
11-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I know the saying and I know it is true. But I feel like maybe I have hunted out one of my spots. It just so happens that this site is right behind the fire station I work at. In the past I have pulled IHs, barbers, mercs, rosies, silver jewelry, tokens (very rare tokens) from this site. But that was years ago. I haven't even gotten a wheatie in a long time. I spent 6 hours yesterday slowly covering every inch (as much as is really possible) of this site. I got modern clad and junk. Now some of that junk was tiny, some of it was DEEP, but all of it sounded like a coin. But not a single old coin. I was really hoping my E-Trac could pull some more keepers.

It just seems like waste. This beautiful, unseasonably warm weather and my hunting has gone flat lately. Hopefully I can get a an hour or two in today at a different site. Just gotta keep plugging away.

Dave
11-09-2009, 10:33 AM
I was going to try and get out this morning for a little bit. But... It started raining. So here I am nice and dry with a hot cup of coffee and reading my favorite foum. I'm sorry to here about your site, maybe all you need is this rain. thumbsup01 I have to ask. Have you gridded this old site in every direction?

coinnut
11-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Sometimes that happens. We refuse to give up on an old site that was very good to us. I'm real guilty of that :grin:. Give it a rest for a while and find some new sites, any new sites. It will get you back into a good mood detecting. Just ask Del, everytime I get a good lead on a new site, he scores BIG :grin: :grin: ;) Gotta get rid of that Del. :rolleyes: After hitting some new sites, you can try the old ones again. It won't seem as bad then. And I agree with the suggestion on doing the site in different directions and after a rain. Also go back in the spring. But just keep swinging.

Epi-hunter
11-09-2009, 10:49 AM
I know the feeling. I think it's a great suggestion to find a different site -- any site -- but come back to this one later. You never know.

Gridding it from different directions might be the answer.

Angel and I have this sort of running joke because he always says There is more silver there about these parks he has been hitting, and I tell him that eventually it has to be gone as it isn't growing back :grin: But even after hours of finding little to nothing in these places, he manages to pull still more silver, so I've become a believer. Some of those targets are deep, or mixed with trash, and are so tough to hear that unless your coil goes over it just exactly right it's going to get missed. It's hard to cover an area that thoroughly.

OkieDigger
11-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Friday morning I went to my secret spot for a bit. This place has given up tons of wheats, one IH, several silver coins dating back to Barbers and several rings. In all the trips I have taken to that place there are only a couple I can think of that I didn't find silver. This last Friday was one of them. I dug 7 wheats. The oldest a 1926. I tried hard, but the silver eluded me. I know there's more there though and I won't give up. However, I do believe there are places that are pretty much hunted out.

catskillcomics
11-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Yeh, I know that feeling.. I've been hitting a park hard since early spring. As of late, everytime I go there, I don't find really anything but the occasional clad.. I certainly hope its not empty, as I have pulled many silver, V nickels, IH's and Buffs there this past year..

Krom
11-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Same happens up here, Jason.
The wife & I have been hittin' the same farmfield for around 7 years now (got me 4 reales outa there), and it has dwindled down a lot, but just a couple days ago, she dug that nice 2-center (she's kickin' my butt lately).
Don't give up. As I hear it, them E-Tracs do what they say they can do.
Slow & low... coil to th' soil! is one of us detectorists' favorite sayings, but my favorite saying, now, comes from a movie...
Never Give Up... Never Surrender! 8)

OkieDigger
11-09-2009, 04:24 PM
:grin: I love Galaxy Quest!

hockeyguy
11-09-2009, 04:39 PM
what about digging everything over 6 inches that is not iron.......u might be surprised at what u find.

Jason in Enid
11-09-2009, 05:37 PM
what about digging everything over 6 inches that is not iron.......u might be surprised at what u find.

I have. The only signals I am getting now are iron falses. It will sound good from one direction only, the numbers jump a lot, and it never pinpoints under the good Fe-Co numbers, alway 3-6 inches to the side.

I did hit a new park in a differnt town today. I was there on business. I didn't even find modern clad! This is an old park in an old part of town. Every signal I got fell apart when I tried to pinpoint, or even get a solid hit from more than one direction.

I feel like Dory in the movie Finding Nemo..... Just keep digging, digging, digging. Just keep digging...

marchas45
11-09-2009, 08:27 PM
I know how you feel, I have been hitting my yard which has a lot of trash and I mean a lot but it's making me learn how the e-Trac works and now I'm starting to find silver, the wheaties and Indians aren't looking good after sitting in all the gravel and junk that's underneath but I lay of for a while then hit it again especially after the rain and I usually find a keeper and the usual bunch of trash. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: But it keeps me in shape and my mind alert. thumbsup01

bmattioli
11-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Let me tell ya, I went to park on Sunday that I've spent hours and hours at and still pulled a nice Sterling ring. Keep searching those spots, they will suprize you at times..

Bruce

Krom
11-09-2009, 09:18 PM
I feel like Dory in the movie Finding Nemo..... Just keep digging, digging, digging. Just keep digging...

...or how about, Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! :grin: