PDA

View Full Version : Wood chip Gold

Cheap Thrills
06-05-2010, 10:06 PM
It's not much but it is my first gold of the year . It passes the magnet test except for the clasp .Today I wanted to give a trial run to used coinsweep coil I bought for my Tesoro built Troy X-2 . I went to a wood chip tot lot I hadn't been to in quite some time . My first couple off passes I used the coinsweep .It made the detector front heavy and it wasn't long before I had to start switching arms.
It can be made to feel a little lighter by reversing the coil so the shorter back half of the coil is toward the front ( of course I didn't bother to do that). It does pick off the surface coins quite well but compared to the Troy Super 7 coil all the signals sound muffled ( this is to be expected when using a significantly larger coil) . It also doesn't help that the X-2 can't be manually ground balanced .
I had read where under ideal circumstances it could go up to 5 deep . Obviously I must not have had the ideal conditions because getting anything over 2 deep seemed an impossibility .
I switched back to the stock 7 coil and began to find lot's of items I had missed ( deeper and closer to the metal bars) .I had apparently gone over the gold bracelet with the larger coil and missed it , it was just under the surface of the wood chips .
It takes a bit of practice to pinpoint with the coinsweep and a few times I just resorted to using my Garrett's Pro-pointer to put me out of my misery . The acid in the tan bark can really make a coin hard to see against the chips.I was using 0 discriminationand the sensitivity was set to just below chatter , I also dug a large amount of foil ,eraser clasps and extremely small pieces of metal ( I dug every signal ) .
It was good to get out again and play with one of my detectors and dig a lot of targets for a change but hopefully I find a new spot with a little silver coinage in it and soon.

Baba

Diggler
06-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Hey Sheik, My CleanSweep hits dimes at 6 so I don't know whats up with the 2... I also shorten the shaft a few inches and sweep in a more vertical posistion. Seems to cancel out the weight issue. It's like a little green rosetta, poofting along like a cyborg conehead looking for baby snakes with a telfunken U47. You know what I mean Sheik... :peace:

Cheap Thrills
06-05-2010, 10:53 PM
6 INCHES !!! :shocked04: maybe the fuel was low on my record player :confused: :huh: :dontknow: rofl

tanacat
06-06-2010, 07:11 AM
Nice collection of finds- congrats on your first gold of the year!!! :yes:

CTDirtFisher
06-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Nice FInds...

and just for the record.... That is my Favorite Zappa Album! And yes I bount it originally on Vinyl:

Sheik Yerbouti is a double vinyl album by Frank Zappa featuring material recorded in 1977 and 1978. It was first released on March 3 1979 as the first release on Zappa Records and re-issued on compact disc by Rykodisc on May 9 1995. The title is a play on words; Zappa appears on the cover in character in Arab headdress, and the name, meant to resemble an Arabic transcription, is pronounced like the title of KC and the Sunshine Band's 1976 disco hit Shake Your Booty.

Sheik Yerbouti represented a major turning point in Zappa's career. The first album to be released on his own eponymous label after his departure from Warner Bros. Records, it emphasized the comedic aspect of his lyrics more than ever before, beginning a period of increased record sales and mainstream media attention.

The album featured more of Zappa's satirical and otherwise humorous or offensive material. &quot:beerbuddy:obby Brown (Goes Down) is well-known worldwide, except for the USA, where it was banned from airplay due to its sexually explicit lyrics. I Have Been in You pokes fun at Peter Frampton's 1977 hit I'm in You while maintaining a sexually driven structure. &quot:grin:ancin' Fool, a Grammy nominee, became a popular disco hit despite its obvious parodical reflection of disco music. Flakes includes a parody of Bob Dylan about the lousiness of laborers in California. Jewish Princess, a humorous look at Jewish stereotyping, attracted attention from the Anti-Defamation League, to which Zappa denied an apology, arguing: Well, I didn't make up the idea of a Jewish Princess. They exist, so I wrote a song about them.

No Hijacking of this thread was intended... Nice Digs!

HH Paul

leslie(nova scotia)
06-06-2010, 01:10 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....good assortment of finds and hopefully just the first of many more gold finds. Dun sum gud youz!

coinnut
06-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Hey, nice amount of items lol Congrats on your first gold of the season :beerbuddy: Man them tot lots sure have lots of stuff in them :confused: I guess kids have loose pockets these days lol Gold is sweet! thumbsup01

Cheap Thrills
06-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks to all who looked and replied and thanks Paul for your input on Frank Zappa . thumbsup01 thumbsup01
I didn't find any new spots to hunt today so I returned to a couple of old ones hoping I could find something . :-\ I did some turf hunting for about 3 hrs. with the Explorer SE and got the majority of coins and the silver religious metal with it .Then I stopped home and switched to the Troy X-2 for another hour of tot-lot-wood-chippin' , I then found a few more coins and the freshly dropped 53s Wheat . My clad count was $4.31 ( 15 quarters in the mix ) It was another fun hunt but the silver coins once again proved elusive .

Baba

Ill Digger
06-07-2010, 01:19 AM
Nice gold braclet :drool:and silver pendent :yes: throw in a little wheat for a all rounded MDers meal :drool: lol
You had a great weekend !!
Wish I could say the same crying01
Keep it up and Congrats :grin:

coinnut
06-07-2010, 07:02 AM
silver is silver, no matter if it's round or oval lol. Nice medal. They usually contain a good amout of silver too.

Cheap Thrills
06-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Nice gold braclet :drool:and silver pendent :yes: throw in a little wheat for a all rounded MDers meal :drool: lol
You had a great weekend !!
Wish I could say the same crying01
Keep it up and Congrats :grin:

Thanks , a Happy Meal ? :yes: Hang in there and good luck , something good eventually surfaces . thumbsup01

silver is silver, no matter if it's round or oval lol. Nice medal. They usually contain a good amout of silver too.

Thanks , it was a good temporary fix !! :yes:

angellionel
06-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Those sterling silver pendants always make for fun finds. Congrats on the gold too!

Cheap Thrills
06-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks Angel I'm getting out a little more lately and will be spending a little more time looking for some old silver locations .

Ill Digger
06-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Thanks , a Happy Meal ? :yes: Hang in there and good luck , something good eventually surfaces . thumbsup01

rofl Yep !! A Happy meal!! Only this one won't clog your arteries rofl
You were right ,probably about the time you were typing your responce, I was out for a short hunt , and got a 1890 IH!!
And probably 25 new skeeter bites 8/ :mad:

Cheap Thrills
06-07-2010, 03:53 PM
rofl Yep !! A Happy meal!! Only this one won't clog your arteries rofl
You were right ,probably about the time you were typing your responce, I was out for a short hunt , and got a 1890 IH!!
And probably 25 new skeeter bites 8/ :mad:

Told ya' so ,told ya' so lol Great going on the Indian !! :happydance01: Yeah , Mosquitos literally suck !! :(

tanacat
06-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Hilarious- I'm scratching my skeeter bites right now -I got while hunting this afternoon lol lol lol

Epi-hunter
06-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Great finds Sheik.... interesting history on your name and Frank Zappa. :)

Cheap Thrills
06-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Thanks for looking and posting Epi :)
Frank Zappa was truly unique . Here's to him !! :beerbuddy:

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-07-2010, 10:43 PM
nice stuff! congrats on the gold and silver!

Cheap Thrills
06-08-2010, 01:20 AM
Thanks HM , I sure wish I could find a little of the stuff you have listed in your signature . :drool:

tanacat
06-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow! lol

I used to listen to Frank Zappa a lot in the 80's during my college days. I remember Zappa for Prez stickers everywhere in my town, on telephone poles and bumpers...

Diggler
06-09-2010, 03:49 PM
And Jello for VP!

wolf-n-wa
06-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Nice digs man. Grats on the gold. WOLF