PDA

View Full Version : That Saloon Token I found

Full Metal Digger
06-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Hey diggers,
I did a little research online for that token I found the other day. I was really interested since it was for the town I live in (although I found it in another town). I've decided to check with our local historical society and if they do not have one I will donate mine. HH, Dave.

freemindstuck
06-02-2014, 12:59 PM
You've got to love the history behind tokens! Great pictures and story!

geodehunter
06-02-2014, 01:16 PM
A great token with awesome history behind it.

Timewarpdigger
06-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Nice finds. Congrats!

zrickkid
07-04-2014, 10:30 PM
I always like those octagonal shaped tokens. They are very cool so nice find.

Twobit
07-04-2014, 10:45 PM
That sort of story is the exact thing that got me into detecting. I love finding history like that. Very decent of you to donate it.

Cheap Thrills
07-05-2014, 12:41 AM
A very decent gesture indeed . The token is a great find . I love those old tavern pictures with the people who frequented them .Thanks for posting the history .Cheers !

POKIE73
07-05-2014, 05:43 AM
i know how you feel i have some tokens from a bar in my home town also they are always a good find even if they are not valuable they make a interesting find dennis

aloldstuff
07-05-2014, 05:56 AM
Great post, love to see the history behind a find. Let us know if you do happen to donate this token. When I saw the picture of the building all I could think of was what would be there if a street tear out took place....:thumbsup02:

MangoAve
07-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Maybe people need to do MDing to brush up on their history. Lol. I am certain there are a lot of things I never knew about history mostly including local history until researching places to hunt and researching finds. There were three taverns here in CT: Brown, Bissell, and Viets. Many don't know of anorher one actually referred to as a saloon. I went looking for it. I may have found the foundation. I found huge grape vines near it. I was just uncertain as I was uncertain which of the hiking trails were the old Wagon road, and the accuracy of the old map compared to the accuracy of a gps or Google maps. I only found a piece of iron but I wasn't there more than 20 min cuz it was too late. And I was uncertain if the current building just south may have actually been on the site of saloon and then coined as built 60 years later.

Good gesture on donating token to historical society. It may be a conversation piece if u keep it. Either way it will sit on a shelf but more will get to see it at historical society.

Twobit
07-05-2014, 11:30 AM
I've been on the hunt for a very old tavern in Newington called the Lusk Tavern. It is mentioned in a number of old local histories but it's exact location is unclear. Almost everyone who travelled from Hartford to New Haven and New York stopped there. I really want to find it!

Digger Don
07-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Its amazing when you can that much history about one small token. REALLY A GREAT FIND !!