PDA

View Full Version : sundays group hunt in Rhode island... got me two nice keepers

Thiltzy
06-04-2014, 07:15 PM
Thanks to Scott Lannan, RI Terry and Dave for organizing Sunday's hunt. other than the 2 hour ride in, the hunt turned out great. I met Tim(massdirtfisher)Matthew and Howard Hewitt both really great people. I have hunted with Scott and Terry a few times before but it was great to get back together with them. Truly amazing guys. It was great sharing war stories and hunting along side such good people. I tell ya... that's what it's all about! Just getting together with friends and making new ones and one of the best things about this hobby.

Everyone made some quality finds and I was lucky enough to score two really nice keepers. A 1795 "spade" Jeton which I believe is a gaming token made of that time period. It was made to replicate a Gold Guinea coin and a really interesting piece. The 1798 draped bust was preserved well were I found it on the inside of the cellar hole lip. The Jeton I also found on the lip of the first cellar hole we hit .

The Rebel
06-04-2014, 07:38 PM
Awesome finds Todd!

OxShoeDrew
06-04-2014, 07:43 PM
Awesome finds Todd!
...and in great condition :envious:

Lodge Scent
06-04-2014, 08:02 PM
"Keepers" !....... Any crusty copper is a keeper! Those two coppers are fantastic ! :clapping:

Skamaniac
06-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Wow, what great shape! Looks like a great day was had.

Thiltzy
06-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Thanks guys... I think they preserved well do to the positions they rested on the inside of the cellar hole lips.

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-04-2014, 09:05 PM
2 gorgeous colonial saves! never seen a Jeton dug before.knew it was somethin like that when ya dug it.great job on the cleaning!

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-04-2014, 09:08 PM
Todd is that a die crack coming from the A in STATES and a cud like thing near U on bottom

Thiltzy
06-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Todd is that a die crack coming from the A in STATES and a cud like thing near U on bottomYup, it is 100% from the die

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-04-2014, 09:41 PM
Yup, it is 100% from the die
very cool

del
06-04-2014, 09:41 PM
a couple of great finds Todd , the British gaming piece a bit more info on them
A contemporary George III gaming counter in the form of a spade guinea dated 1795. Unlike the gaming counters of similar type struck during the late Victorian period, the contemporary ones retain the official inscriptions. They have the maker's name in relief below the truncation of the bust, in this case, SIMCOX. This was struck in 1795.

The Simcox business, which manufactured buckles and rings etc., as well as counters, operated from Livery Street, Birmingham, between 1769 and at least 1830. The inscription, SIMCOX, was used on counters dated 1791 to 1796.

the draped bust is also a sweet coin , you did very well :congrats::clapping::clapping:

milco
06-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Wow, great finds and looks like a great crew to hang with for the day!

Thiltzy
06-04-2014, 10:00 PM
a couple of great finds Todd , the British gaming piece a bit more info on them
A contemporary George III gaming counter in the form of a spade guinea dated 1795. Unlike the gaming counters of similar type struck during the late Victorian period, the contemporary ones retain the official inscriptions. They have the maker's name in relief below the truncation of the bust, in this case, SIMCOX. This was struck in 1795.

The Simcox business, which manufactured buckles and rings etc., as well as counters, operated from Livery Street, Birmingham, between 1769 and at least 1830. The inscription, SIMCOX, was used on counters dated 1791 to 1796.

the draped bust is also a sweet coin , you did very well :congrats::clapping::clapping:

Yeah Dan, I came across that info which I found interesting. When they say "gaming" do they mean gambling or something more recreational?

Bell-Two
06-04-2014, 10:22 PM
Wow those are fantastic finds. I have not known of Jetons before and that Large Cent is absolutely gorgeous!

del
06-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Yeah Dan, I came across that info which I found interesting. When they say "gaming" do they mean gambling or something more recreational?

Todd , these had many different roles . some I believe were used as business tokens , some for gaming markers , some even used for money counting or tallying counters or checks.

giant056
06-05-2014, 12:56 AM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! them are some beauties indeed Todd :thumbsup02: I'm envious of you guys in the colonial territories :grin:

.................................................. .......... :congrats:

Thiltzy
06-05-2014, 06:11 AM
Todd , these had many different roles . some I believe were used as business tokens , some for gaming markers , some even used for money counting or tallying counters or checks.

You rock Dan, your a historical encyclopaedia. I always learn something new from your knowledge. You need to get a hair cut to let that valuable brain of yours have some breathing room.

aloldstuff
06-05-2014, 07:32 AM
Very nice recoveries, love that 1798. Hunting with friends is what its all about, :congrats:

Digger Don
06-05-2014, 08:01 AM
You guys did a Great job on that hunt. Congrats on some very nice finds

Isaac
06-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Those are some incredible finds Todd! Those coins are just gorgeous! :wow:

Thiltzy
06-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Very nice recoveries, love that 1798. Hunting with friends is what its all about, :congrats: Friends and the unexpected discoveries Al, you are so right

Thiltzy
06-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Wow those are fantastic finds. I have not known of Jetons before and that Large Cent is absolutely gorgeous!First I have heard of them as well. Great thing about digging up new discoveries is your always learning something new.

Jyes
06-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Both coppers in great shape. The gaming token is something I would have liked to find over the years, they seem to show up more in New England area than here in southern NJ.. In case no one attributed your Large Cent, well it is a Sheldon 175 variety, was Rarity 4, now I believe Rarity 3 (Scarce). http://www.largecents.net/collection/coinpics/s175.jpg

Don

Thiltzy
06-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Both coppers in great shape. The gaming token is something I would have liked to find over the years, they seem to show up more in New England area than here in southern NJ.. In case no one attributed your Large Cent, well it is a Sheldon 175 variety, was Rarity 4, now I believe Rarity 3 (Scarce). http://www.largecents.net/collection/coinpics/s175.jpg

Don Wow! Don...that is so awesome you found that info. Thanks so much for that input. It's amazing that my coin is from that same exact die

Timewarpdigger
06-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Those are two incredible finds. Mind blowing. Awesome. Congrats.

R.I.Terry
06-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Wow, those sure cleaned up nice Todd. Glad to see a great guy make a couple amazing recoveries at one of my sites. Thanks for coming guys and I'm on the hunt for another worthy area. Can't wait for the next one.

chief5709
06-06-2014, 04:47 AM
Great hunt Todd! incredible coppers! nice to see a small group hunt go so well. some of the best in the northeast :notworthy:

Moresound
06-06-2014, 07:29 AM
I had already caught this in my YouTube favorites.
looked to be a great day.
How are the ticks and other biters down there?

Tony Two-Cent
06-06-2014, 07:36 AM
Those are two spectacular finds for sure, Todd! I had already seen them on YouTube as well. Wow, look at the detail on that Jeton! Razor sharp!

And that 1798 Draped Bust cleaned up really well too. Very clear date and awesome details on both sides of the coin.

I am green with jealousy! :envious:

Congrats on the wonderful success you've been having lately, my friend! :perfect10:

Thiltzy
06-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Wow, those sure cleaned up nice Todd. Glad to see a great guy make a couple amazing recoveries at one of my sites. Thanks for coming guys and I'm on the hunt for another worthy area. Can't wait for the next one.
I can't wait Terry. You and Scott will have to join us in the fall over on our side.

Thiltzy
06-06-2014, 12:39 PM
I had already caught this in my YouTube favorites.
looked to be a great day.
How are the ticks and other biters down there?

The tics and other annoying critters are getting worse every week

Thiltzy
06-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Thanks Timewarp, Chief an Tony:notworthy::notworthy: